DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Park Clarification

I've been following this thread with interest, and as a fairly new drone owner I'm confused.

Are we or are we not permitted to fly in national parks?

Did something specific cause whatever restrictions are in place? In my experience prohibitions are usually the result of stupid humans.
The NPS has no interest in drones flying in their parks. Drones have been banned in most of the major parks, and you will be ticketed for flying there.
If you are an outlaw, you can trespass on a property adjacent to the National park, and fly in from the outside. You wont be breaking any FAA rules, and you wont be on Park property. But whos property will you be on? Also, it wont prevent the park from hassling you anyway.

I've been following this thread with interest, and as a fairly new drone owner I'm confused.

Did something specific cause whatever restrictions are in place? In my experience prohibitions are usually the result of stupid humans.

You are not allowed to fly your drone from National Park Service lands:

Unmanned Aircraft in the National Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

But, as noted on that policy page, NPS does not have jurisdiction over the airspace, and so you can legally overfly National Parks provided that you takeoff and land from outside the park.

Reactions: Zeke
I've no interest in being an outlaw, breaking any laws, or getting a ticket - which is why I'm asking. This response from earlier in the thread seems to indicate you can legally fly in the parks under certain circumstances, which is why I'm asking. Screenshot_20181015-203955_Chrome.jpg

I've no interest in being an outlaw, breaking any laws, or getting a ticket - which is why I'm asking. This response from earlier in the thread seems to indicate you can legally fly in the parks under certain circumstances, which is why I'm asking. View attachment 50331

The "outlaw" statement was not correct, since you can remain compliant with both NPS and FAA regulations if you launch from outside the park. VLOS is not, currently, a requirement to satisfy Section 336, which governs recreational flight. NPS LE might harass you if you are outside the park but, since their own website specifically states that it is not illegal to do that, any ticket that they might issue is unlikely to stand.

Reactions: Zeke
That is one that supports the take off from an adjacent property and fly into the park line of thought.
He also hints that for that to work, you will most likely be flying beyond VLOS. Which is illegal and against FAA rules. Then where are you going to take off from? How are you going to find the owner of the adjacent property for permission to use his property? I dont think it is oK to pull to the side of the road and fly from the ditch, because roadside shoulders are designated as emergency use only. (in most cases)
BUT, This is America. Its on you, you can do whatever you want. Maybe you'll be fine, maybe not.

That is one that supports the take off from an adjacent property and fly into the park line of thought.
He also hints that for that to work, you will most likely be flying beyond VLOS. Which is illegal and against FAA rules. Then where are you going to take off from? How are you going to find the owner of the adjacent property for permission to use his property? I dont think it is oK to pull to the side of the road and fly from the ditch, because roadside shoulders are designated as emergency use only. (in most cases)
BUT, This is America. Its on you, you can do whatever you want. Maybe you'll be fine, maybe not.

If the surrounding property is public land, such as USFS land, then it's fine to operate from there. Or from roadside parking areas. There are typically plenty of options. Now whether the points of interest are within VLOS is a different question.

You may not land or launch from any National Park Service managed property without specific permission.

This memo details the rules.

Policy Memorandum 14-05

The Park Service cannot, however, prohibit you from launching and landing outside their property boundaries and flying over the property. Proceed with caution, however.

You are permitted to fly OVER the park but not take off or land IN it.
More like they cant STOP you from flying over from outside. Only because they cant control airspace, YET.
Look for that to happen with all these people rule bending.
I would say its a stretch to say "permitted" by the parks, because I am sure they would rather you didn't. Thats why they ban drones to the maximum extent they can.

I am lucky enough to live on private property inside a national park. Before I even started flying I got a hold of a ranger to ask about the rules to make sure we were both on the same page. He said I could fly from my property. I have now taken to flying from my neighbor's property as well.and have gotten some great pictures.
PANO0002_stitch.jpg
I just make sure I am on private property when I takoff and land and operate it from that property.

Reactions: sar104
There is a lot of coastline NOT prohibited, The is even MORE nature that is not prohibited.
As long as it is prohibited, you shouldn't do it. But, you can if you want, its on you.
Know before you fly has all these prohibited places identified for you. The NPS areas are the red areas that make up about 2% of the continental United States. Take away the darkened NFZ areas that account for another 2-3 % and airports that my guess would account for 10% and finally cities that maybe take up 10%
This still leaves 75% of the Nation open to UAS flights without concern or objection.
And what about the Millions of acres of Indian Reservations that is a no no to fly from

And what about the Millions of acres of Indian Reservations that is a no no to fly from
Still just a drop in the bucket. Most of it is wasteland anyway.

ETA; Just looked it up. Indian land accounts for 2%

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura