DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Park Clarification

BigLobster

Reactions
Folks, I’m a fairly new drone pilot (2 months) & find this site indispensable! Thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge & expertise.
QUESTIONS
1. I live close to Cape Cod & would like to use my Mavic Air to shoot video of Cape Cod National Seashore from my boat. I would be launching it from boat 1/2 mile to a 1 mile out from the beach. Can you clarify the rules here? Am I allowed to launch/land outside of a National Park, but go into that airspace to shoot video?
2. On DJI GO app, will it allow me to launch Mavic outside of restricted area? If yes, how far out do I have to be?
3. What will happen to Mavic once it enters into restricted air space? Will it cause Mavic to RTH or hover?
I want to follow the rules, but sometimes they are very confusing.
Sorry for all of the questions, but I wanted to consult w you...“the experts”. Thx.

I guess I'll answer both threads while I'm at it;)...

Yes, you are allowed to fly into a park as long as you launch/land outside of it, the NPS does not control airspace.

I'm not sure what you mean by restricted airspace. National Parks are not considered NFZs so unless there is some other thing like an airport or military base, there should be no problems flying over the park.
Now we wait for the VLOS people to chime in...

There is no restricted or controlled surface airspace around Cape Cod, so that's not a problem. There are airports at the north and south end that are in the DJI database and you may need to contact them if you are flying recreationally and within 5 miles.

capecod.jpeg

screenshot133.jpg

In terms of the NPS restrictions, the boundary of the park is at or close to the shore (see sectional above), and the advisory issued by the NPS for that park states that you can launch from outside subject to certain other conditions:

Restrictions of Unmanned Aircraft Systems - Cape Cod National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned to you the probability of a successful flight to and from a boat?

Before you go launching off a boat, you really want to read up on it and make sure you are willing to take the risk.

Then there is the whole Mavic vs water thing, you need to take precautions WRT setup and sensors as reflective surfaces and sensors do not play well, and there are a whole lot of ruined drones around here to prove it.

Let us know if you find any of the Right Whales that are in the area, someone got video of them off of Marshfield the other day... a whole mile from KGHG Airport....

Just keep an ear out for military aircraft.... they have been known to come thru that area at Warp 9 and low..... there is actually a warning at the FBO I fly out of warning us about them

PA-28-161 somewhere north of Chatham headed towards P Town IIRC

Has anyone mentioned to you the probability of a successful flight to and from a boat?

Before you go launching off a boat, you really want to read up on it and make sure you are willing to take the risk.

Then there is the whole Mavic vs water thing, you need to take precautions WRT setup and sensors as reflective surfaces and sensors do not play well, and there are a whole lot of ruined drones around here to prove it.

Let us know if you find any of the Right Whales that are in the area, someone got video of them off of Marshfield the other day... a whole mile from KGHG Airport....

Just keep an ear out for military aircraft.... they have been known to come thru that area at Warp 9 and low..... there is actually a warning at the FBO I fly out of warning us about them

I assume that area is under control of at least on tower? Assuming you notify them of your area of operations you would think they would notify any flight crossing your path? Make sure to tell the tower(s) lat and long and not just “off shore of the cape”.

I assume that area is under control of at least on tower? Assuming you notify them of your area of operations you would think they would notify any flight crossing your path? Make sure to tell the tower(s) lat and long and not just “off shore of the cape”.

Both airports are untowered.

I am just going from memory here as I have not flown down that way for a while, but I don't think there are "towered" airports around there. KPVC ( PTown) is not towered, KCQX ( Chatham) isn't, KHYA ( Barnstable Municipal) is but that is a good distance away from where he is talking about.

Yes, you are allowed to fly into a park as long as you launch/land outside of it, the NPS does not control airspace.
/QUOTE]

I'm curious if this is still good information. A lot of changes lately. And there is a good little National park I want to photograph with another park area next to it I could operate from.

The NPS does not control airspace, never has, and hopefully never will. As long as you take off, land, and control from outside the park, they can’t govern what you do.
However you then get into the whole VLOS rule which restricts how far outside the park you can be.

A MORAL person would understand that the NPS and a good portion of its visitors do not want drones buzzing overhead. They can only ban you on the ground, but only a complete idiot doesnt get what they really intend to stop with their bans. What does that make a person look like when they fly in from outside? You can do what you want, but is it really worth it just to thumb your nose at the NPS's wishes?

Reactions: Mrmund
The NPS does not control airspace, never has, and hopefully never will. As long as you take off, land, and control from outside the park, they can’t govern what you do.
However you then get into the whole VLOS rule which restricts how far outside the park you can be.

That's generally correct, although it is worth noting that the FAA and DOI have banned sUAS flights over some sites, including several run by the NPS.

FAA Restricts Drones over Statue of Liberty, Other Landmarks

Reactions: MavicCF
A MORAL person would understand that the NPS and a good portion of its visitors do not want drones buzzing overhead. They can only ban you on the ground, but only a complete idiot doesnt get what they really intend to stop with their bans. What does that make a person look like when they fly in from outside? You can do what you want, but is it really worth it just to thumb your nose at the NPS's wishes?

Yes I understand their sentiment. I also think in some cases it is ridiculous. A park near me is part of the NPS. It's just a wide open field adjacent the ocean. But the park boundaries extend into the water. People go there to run, bike, fly kites, BBQ, etc. And there are many times when no one is there. So if you wanted to take some aerial photography of rocks in the ocean along the coast or something, you couldn't be standing in the park. Avoiding people on the ground is a good practice whether in a park or not. Could one operate a drone in a park and still be conforming to good morals? Absolutely. And I don't appreciate your implication that I'm an idiot without morals.

Some consider the NPS blanket ban a knee-jerk reaction to a single incident. That may or may not be true. I just don't agree on a total ban. I don't see why I can't get a day permit or something to get some photography of nature while adhering to good practices of staying away from other people and wildlife.

There is a lot of coastline NOT prohibited, The is even MORE nature that is not prohibited.
As long as it is prohibited, you shouldn't do it. But, you can if you want, its on you.
Know before you fly has all these prohibited places identified for you. The NPS areas are the red areas that make up about 2% of the continental United States. Take away the darkened NFZ areas that account for another 2-3 % and airports that my guess would account for 10% and finally cities that maybe take up 10%
This still leaves 75% of the Nation open to UAS flights without concern or objection.

I've been following this thread with interest, and as a fairly new drone owner I'm confused.

Are we or are we not permitted to fly in national parks?

Did something specific cause whatever restrictions are in place? In my experience prohibitions are usually the result of stupid humans.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan