DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Trust Properties

I think that's probably all they can do, and if you're asked politely to move on there's no reason not to comply. It would be a completely different story if you were confronted by some jobsworth threatening to confiscate the drone. If you'd been feeling a bit mischievous you could have said that the sort of people who steal lead from buildings are going to do it anyway even if they haven't filmed it with their drone first. You did the right thing.

I flew by Canons Ashby (NT) when I first got a drone and didn't know about NT rules. Warden came over and asked us to stop due to people filming lead roofs and then people stealing the lead. We stopped flying and moved on. Was all very civil. (Did not take off or land on NT land - just flew over)

"People filming lead roofs then people stealing the lead "
Lol
the warden then stepped back into the 1930s when everything was safe, no one stole anything and there was no google earth or birds eye veiw of every roof in the country/world ;-)

That's the problem with things like the NT and the like, run by a bunch of old farts stuck in the dark ages.

Where i am the national trust have bought up huge swaths of land and much like the blanket drone ban, they have banned mountain bikes, which up till they bought it were welcomed as part of the councils push to get people/families out cycling.
Their reason for the ban, it damages the land -which is rubbish - yet if you pay them a few hundred pounds a year you can stomp your 1 ton horse or a 100 horses over their precious land and chew it up as much as you like and if you have ever been to a forest where horses are ridden you'll know how much they damage the paths and trails

So personally and as they like to say 'its national trust for the people for ever'
Id fly there, but just keep it low key,use common sense and only fly say early morning or late evening when there are no people around, as another member suggested

What really irks me about all this drone hysteria, just from things I've read since getting into it a few months back, is how all this is seen in the realms of possible issues, not based on specific incidents etc.

I mean how preempted is the NT statement "If a drone causes damage or harm, pilots generally do not have the correct insurances, or level of insurances, to adequately compensate those affected."
How many times has this happened, around a NT site or anywhere for that matter ?

We saw an incident where one come down on Sydney Harbour bridge a while back, probably hit a beam out from compass / gps loss of signal, it hit a car !
Was caught on the car dash cam and posted a lot around news services.
The point is, the whole bridge area is off limits to drones, not withstanding CASA rules about flying over people / vehicles etc, and the virtual total ban of drones over Sydney Harbour surroundings.
This is a CASA regulation, so why not just use current stringent existing laws, investigate and prosecute / fine to the max level to deter people who fly irresponsibly ?
(AFAIK, they didn't catch that operator.)

I know preventative (proactive) measures are best practice now in many scopes of safety, workplaces for example, but authorities seem all too quick to simply ban an activity "in case" something happens.

Another example . . . almost all National Parks in Australia have either a full ban, or very difficult or made to arduous to obtain permits to fly (state of Queensland is the exception), yet there are so many totally open areas that are very little visited, and with consideration you could fly anywhere with consideration and common sense and not be a nuisance to other park users or animals etc.

Footage of such areas from people in the public domain could increase interest in the regions so greatly, and allow people Worldwide to get an insight into these special places.

Bans are just the lazy, easy way out for authorities.

This is Mussenden Temple, a National Trust property on Northern Ireland's Antrim Coast. The photo was taken with a 35mm prime lens. I could have got the same photo from much further away using my zoom lens. I could also have got the exact same shot with my Mavic, if I'd owned it back then. What's my point? The grass in the foreground is public land, freely accessible. In the mid ground there is a deep valley. The far side of the valley is the NT property. Nothing illegal or any health & safety breach here. They can ban drones all they want but it won't stop people getting photos. I just wonder if there's any lead in that roof?

Last edited:
Reactions: Foulsbane
I was told to stop flying my mavic over the North Yorkshire moors by the warden last summer.

National Trust warden i take it?
Just politely remind him of their moto, "its for everone for ever"
And your one of the 'everones' out enjoying it with your drone :D

Oh,cheers,I will do in future but may be with hindsight it was because of frightening things like grouse so I just accepted it.It was the middle of summer.

Reactions: Dw911
Oh,cheers,I will do in future but may be with hindsight it was because of frightening things like grouse so I just accepted it.It was the middle of summer.

You probably did the sensible thing Thumbswayup

Often better just to land and in a big place like that move to another area, the wardens happy as he trots off back to the 1930s to tell everyone hes told off someone flying one of those new fangled drones and you get to fly somewhere else in peace :)

Reactions: catsuk
I have just looked closely at the NT Land Map and in particular to Dartmoor.

I am a little confused as the map clearly shows about a dozen major areas and numerous sub areas within those boundaries.
Does this mean that all the rest of Dartmoor and by the same token other moorland not marked as such on their map, are fair game?
This is the way I am understanding things ( the map) unless somebody can definitively say otherwise.

My wife and I stayed at Pooley Bridge last month and at 6:30 am I'm up and walking towards the Steamer Pier, took the MPP up to 400ft and had a brilliant view over the lake, I resisted the temptation to fly over the village, but the views are amazing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078