DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NavCanada just modifies the PART IX for Controlled Airspace

Can you provide an example of what you mean? Maybe a screenshot of an area on the site selection tool that you believe is incorrectly identified as uncontrolled airspace?

actually, i've since learned that I was misunderstanding.. AIRMAP still shows most of ontario as class E air space.. the reality is, that it is, but the NRC Canada map shows restricted airspace that only comes to the surface.. most of the areas that airmap shows as class E, are actually 2200ft+, and below that is class G..

actually, i've since learned that I was misunderstanding.. AIRMAP still shows most of ontario as class E air space.. the reality is, that it is, but the NRC Canada map shows restricted airspace that only comes to the surface.. most of the areas that airmap shows as class E, are actually 2200ft+, and below that is class G..

Yeah, I was initially thrown off by that myself. Hopefully the Airmap devs will do something to update that in the future.

For your reference, this site is pretty handy for checking out airspace at various altitudes: Canadian Airspace Viewer

Additionally, the Drone Pilot Canada app by Don Drones On is maybe not as polished as some of the other options out there, but they've done a good job with integrating airspace restrictions and proximity to aerodromes/heliports, and it includes all the various pre-/during/post-flight checklists you may need. Available for Android and iOS.

Reactions: Ken K
According to Don Joyce (if I understood him correctly) the difference is whether an aerodrome is certified or not. Certified you have to keep outside a perimeter, not certified you have to maintain vigilance.

Picking up a VNC/VTA chart for your region is going to be much more accurate than any app. At least until the app's start taking into account the vertical profiles of airspace. I'd argue that it is also the only legal way to determine where you are in relation to controlled airspace.

Don raises a good point, and one I actually missed until this point. CARS 901.47 uses both the word "aerodrome" and "airport" which are two very different things.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer