DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Navy Pier a no fly zone

ajwilson

FAA 107 sUAV Pilot
Reactions
Hmmm.,.

Hello Xxx thank you for contacting us at Navy Pier. For the safety of our guests, Navy Pier is designated as a "No Drone Zone". No where on the property and surrounding waters are drones allowed. The area is monitored very closely by Navy Pier Security, Homeland Security, the FAA and US Coast Guard. We thank you for inquiring in advance and appreciate your understanding Xxx .

Sincerely,
Gregory
Navy Pier Guest Services
www.navypier.com

but of course, what did you expect? "come here and fly your drones all over the city?" nobody, nobody welcomes drones, other places tolerate them. the answer is always no.

navy pier is not even under a tfr for a baseball game.

Reactions: pmshop
or, there is a "0 AGL" altitude allowed imposed by the FAA but the area has 400 ft buildings around.

that sound we hear is “knees jerking”.........out over open water, PLEASE ??‍♂️

Let's see.
1. Per the FAA charts, Navy Pier is not within any controlled airspace.
2. Per the FAA facilities map, Navy Pier is not within any control grids, which confirms item 1.
3. The FAA facilities map doesn't show any National Security flight restricted zones on or near Navy Pier.
4. It appears to be outside the TFR no-fly zone for games at Wrigley Field.
5. It is within the TFR no-fly zone for games at Soldier Field (the first Bears exhibition game is scheduled August 8, good grief)
6. Airmap shows no flight restrictions at Navy Pier.
7. On the other hand, our friends at DJI have created their own authorization zone which includes Navy Pier. This would require an unlock code from DJI.
8. "Navy Pier is operated as a historic public landmark and entertainment complex by a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation." So drone taking off and landing from the property can be prohibited by the operator. The wording of why one can't fly there is way over the top, and should have just stopped with the "No Drone Zone," but the extra wording is intended to scare fliers away.
However,
Given that much of the pier is outside entertainment with lots of people, flying over it would be in violation of FAA recreational and Part 107 rules. Likewise, the area around it appears to have a lot of recreational boating with people not under cover.

Let's see.
1. Per the FAA charts, Navy Pier is not within any controlled airspace.
2. Per the FAA facilities map, Navy Pier is not within any control grids, which confirms item 1.
3. The FAA facilities map doesn't show any National Security flight restricted zones on or near Navy Pier.
4. It appears to be outside the TFR no-fly zone for games at Wrigley Field.
5. It is within the TFR no-fly zone for games at Soldier Field (the first Bears exhibition game is scheduled August 8, good grief)
6. Airmap shows no flight restrictions at Navy Pier.
7. On the other hand, our friends at DJI have created their own authorization zone which includes Navy Pier. This would require an unlock code from DJI.
8. "Navy Pier is operated as a historic public landmark and entertainment complex by a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation." So drone taking off and landing from the property can be prohibited by the operator. The wording of why one can't fly there is way over the top, and should have just stopped with the "No Drone Zone," but the extra wording is intended to scare fliers away.
However,
Given that much of the pier is outside entertainment with lots of people, flying over it would be in violation of FAA recreational and Part 107 rules. Likewise, the area around it appears to have a lot of recreational boating with people not under cover.
Well sometimes you have to use your better judgement. Most Naval Bases where most Naval piers are , and the piers usually are closer than 5 miles away. Even here in Newport, Rhode Island the Navy Base has no runway but the Base itself is a no fly zone...Because drones are not new to us they are still new to the public, I bet that pier will have signs post everywhere now... lol. You did the right thing though because you were unsure.. nothing wrong with that.. Happy 4th !

Not going to lie, I almost bust out laughing when I got the email.. only Seal Team Six is left out in the agencies that patrol the highly sensitive area above, around and under Navy Pier. It is an email clearly crafted to scare the heck out of me and ensure I keep my communist spying device away. Just got back from there, too many people around so I would be violating the “flying over people” rule left and right. We as a group do need to have a voice somewhere, if we don’t our hobby is going to be regulated out of business.

Reactions: Racin8de
Well sometimes you have to use your better judgement. Most Naval Bases where most Naval piers are
Despite the name, Navy Pier in Chicago is not a military base. It has fifty acres of parks, gardens, shops, restaurants, family attractions and exhibition facilities, but no navy.

navy-pier-up-close.jpg

I seem to recall seeing a lot of drone videos of downtown Chicago on YouTube --- maybe not Navy Pier but just about everywhere else on the lake shore

Despite the name, Navy Pier in Chicago is not a military base. It has fifty acres of parks, gardens, shops, restaurants, family attractions and exhibition facilities, but no navy.

navy-pier-up-close.jpg
Lmao, well ain't I the Clown.. Awesome picture for sure!

Hmmm.,.

Hello Xxx thank you for contacting us at Navy Pier. For the safety of our guests, Navy Pier is designated as a "No Drone Zone". No where on the property and surrounding waters are drones allowed. The area is monitored very closely by Navy Pier Security, Homeland Security, the FAA and US Coast Guard. We thank you for inquiring in advance and appreciate your understanding Xxx .

Sincerely,
Gregory
Navy Pier Guest Services
www.navypier.com
Do you know I got physically assaulted by a Navy Pier security guard tonight for flying my drone! Grabbed me and pushed me and ripped my phone out of my hands and even tried to pull my keys out of my f'n ignition! They are insane and going to press charges.

Hmmm.,.

Sincerely,
Gregory
Navy Pier Guest Services
www.navypier.com
They are insane if they think you can't legally fly over the lake by there. You can!

Reactions: NewAir2sMan
When in doubt, consult the FAA's B4YouFly app.

No limitations on operating OVER most of that area. But, the pier and park can restrict takeoffs and landings within their boundaries.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 103934.jpg

Reactions: Aerophile
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife