DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND 256

KenCharuk

Reactions
Just opened the nd filters that came with my Air2 flymore combo. The nd 16 blocks more than enough light, requiring an ISO adjustment. What in the world does one do with an nd 264? Shoot solar eclipses? ;-)

Hello
There is a big difference between an opening 2.4 and 1.7 to 1.7 the speeds fly quickly. 1/4000 with filter 64 =1/60th

Just opened the nd filters that came with my Air2 flymore combo. The nd 16 blocks more than enough light, requiring an ISO adjustment. What in the world does one do with an nd 264? Shoot solar eclipses? ;-)
ND 256 may be too much most of the time and only for special use cases but.... ND 32 and ND 64 come in handy on really bright days with the Air 2s.

To produce the long exposures needed for correct motion blur on time lapses for one.
Also, snow and bright area shooting.

What in the world does one do with an nd 264? Shoot solar eclipses? ;-)
It would be rare that you could use an ND 256 filter on a drone.
It's an 8 stop filter which means that only 0.4% of the light gets through.
It's 4 stops from 1/1000th to 1/60th.
8 stops drops the shutter speed from 1/1000th to 1/4 sec, so you wouldn't be using it for video.

To use it on the drone, you'd need to be shooting stills in bright light but want to drop your shutter speed to +/-1/ 4 sec.

To use it on the drone, you'd need to be shooting stills in bright light but want to drop your shutter speed to +/-1/ 4 sec.
Or timelapse where you need that slow shutter blur.
But also consider the drone. Mini 3 for example has a f/1.7 lens vs the f/2.8 of many others.

Thats a 1.5 stop different in filter needed to get the same shutterspeed.

We're seeing daytime, cloudy speeds of 1/4000th on the Mini3. Thats a 6 stop reduction needed to get to ~1/60th for the 180 rule.
If you're dealing with tropical sunlight, snow etc that speed is even higher so 7-8 stop reduction on that is perfectly feasible.

I'd agree though for stills there really is little point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk