DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter causing gimbal to vibrate /shake

MGX

Reactions
Today I attached an ND Sandmarc pro filter to the camera lens of my Mavic Pro. I noticed it caused the gimbal to shake /vibrate rapidly !! Interestingly enough, when looking at my phone DJI go 4 app, there was no visible shaking in the image through the viewfinder, even though there was a very noticeable vibrating of the gimbal. My first thought was perhaps the filter was sitting properly over the lens, and was causing imbalance.... but after checking, it was perfectly seated.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can advise me of what the problem is?

Thanks!!

Today I attached an ND Sandmarc pro filter to the camera lens of my Mavic Pro. I noticed it caused the gimbal to shake /vibrate rapidly !! Interestingly enough, when looking at my phone DJI go 4 app, there was no visible shaking in the image through the viewfinder, even though there was a very noticeable vibrating of the gimbal. My first thought was perhaps the filter was sitting properly over the lens, and was causing imbalance.... but after checking, it was perfectly seated.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can advise me of what the problem is?

Thanks!!
Did you have the filter on during the gimbal calibration?

Yes. The filter was placed on the lens prior to turning on the Mavic and the calibration process.

Can't imagine why the camera/gimbal would vibrate just by adding a filter. Could it be that the aircraft is vibrating and the gimbal is simply compensating? Carefully touch the craft in flight and you should be able to feel any vibrations. I've seen posts on vibrating gimbals but they were all due to the new Low Noise Props and reducing the gain to pitch, roll and yaw inputs apparently helped with this problem (to 89% I've read). Might be worth a shot.

Is this in flight? Or simply sitting on Terra Firma?
If you take the filter off does it stop?
I have heard of some filters that dont work very well at all with these sensitive gimbals..

Can't imagine why the camera/gimbal would vibrate just by adding a filter. Could it be that the aircraft is vibrating and the gimbal is simply compensating? Carefully touch the craft in flight and you should be able to feel any vibrations. I've seen posts on vibrating gimbals but they were all due to the new Low Noise Props and reducing the gain to pitch, roll and yaw inputs apparently helped with this problem (to 89% I've read). Might be worth a shot.

Touched the craft in flight, and there was no vibration from the craft. Was only the gimbal noticeably vibrating.

I don't know if this will help, but page 43 in the Pro manual addresses gimbal vibration.

Is this in flight? Or simply sitting on Terra Firma?
If you take the filter off does it stop?
I have heard of some filters that dont work very well at all with these sensitive gimbals..
I don't know if this will help, but page 43 in the Pro manual addresses gimbal vibration.

Thanks for the input.... Read page 43.

I know this thread is pretty old but I have the same problem with Ultimax ND filters. My gimbal started vibrating heavily during start up calibration. A close examination revealed the lens was hitting the side of the gimbal when put into extreme turn. I removed the lens and everything was fine. There just was not enough room left for the gimbal's maneuvers.
So it looks like I have 5 filters that I can't use. So I am wondering if this just a problem with this brand or what,

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki