DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filter- What do you think of this concept

I'm asking because the Polar Pro rep told me to rotate the filter in front of the lens, but that's impossible!
I’m thinking he means to turn the camera on, hold the filter very close and view the result through the screen, turn the unit back off and install at that position?

Sounds a lot more difficult than the above posted methods.

I’m thinking he means to turn the camera on, hold the filter very close and view the result through the screen, turn the unit back off and install at that position?

Sounds a lot more difficult than the above posted methods.

I agree, it's overkill to turn the drone back off, reinstall the gimbal lock, and install the filter, remove the gimbal lock, and finally turn the drone back on. I just hold/brace the camera with one hand and install the filter with the other. As long as you are careful and keep the camera still the risk of damage to the gimbal is minimal.

What is your technique for rotating the CPL filter without damaging the gimbal/camera? Thank you.

Here is a good discussion on ND filters and here is the Neewer brand filter installation documentation

I live in Bullhead City, Arizona it is in the western part of the state at the very tip of Nevada. I was researching filters and I contacted Neewer to answer some questions here is my question and their response.

When I look at a description for a filter(set) I see different descriptions that I am not sure about such as optical glass or multi coated, ND 16 vs ND 16/PL and I don't know which is better. CPL I assume is the equivalent to a skylight filter (lens protector) for a SLR and a PL is a polarizing filter. Where can I educate myself please.
My intent is to end up with a set of filters ( CPL, UV, ND 4, ND 8, ND 16, ND 32 ) based on what I have read and what I know about SLR photography.

Here is Neewer's response

Optical glass is a little heavy, it will affect the calibration of the drone, we don't suggest it. We have the following resinous filter kit,which work good on the device, please take a look. You could search videos on YouTube to compare the ND ,CPL and UV.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Pieces-Filter-Mavic-Quadcopter/dp/B06XYL8RW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515577464&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer+filter+for+drone

I purchased ( CPL, UV, ND 4, ND 8, ND 16, ND 32 ), "so far" I have not had any problems. The night is young and so are we.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy