DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters and Arizona desert

jaysrmc

Reactions
Hey guys, I have read everything on the boards relating to filters that I can find. The problem I am running into is that in Arizona the sun is crazy. I tried ND4 to ND16 and still get over exposure and things just look bland. Like the light is washing out the color. Could it be that I do need the ND32? I read some people saying no one would ever need a ND32 on a Mavic but I will be ****** if the 16 could not get the correct exposure. I do have Adobe Premiere Pro 2017 just don't know if my solution is the color there or just the filters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wsteele
ND won't help your colors, that's why they are called NEUTRAL density filters.. I'm still trying to find the best settings and post process for the landscapes here, you can use LUTs in Premiere or the usual "Three way corrector" filter to adjust saturation/gamma, plus the usual contrast/brightness.

Hey guys, I have read everything on the boards relating to filters that I can find. The problem I am running into is that in Arizona the sun is crazy. I tried ND4 to ND16 and still get over exposure and things just look bland. Like the light is washing out the color. Could it be that I do need the ND32? I read some people saying no one would ever need a ND32 on a Mavic but I will be damned if the 16 could not get the correct exposure. I do have Adobe Premiere Pro 2017 just don't know if my solution is the color there or just the filters.
I use ND32 MOST OF THE time when it's real sunny here in Belize - gives me that 30fps @60 we all want for vids. Also ND16 so whatever works go for it! OH yeah if I film with ND16 or ND32 or whatever I will also shoot still pics with same ND filter that is on......works for me.

ND won't help your colors, that's why they are called NEUTRAL density filters.. I'm still trying to find the best settings and post process for the landscapes here, you can use LUTs in Premiere or the usual "Three way corrector" filter to adjust saturation/gamma, plus the usual contrast/brightness.

Thanks, I will have to find a tutorial on those two things. I am in no way a photography guy but I am trying to learn, I find the videos to be equally enjoyable as the flights themselves.

I use ND32 MOST OF THE time when it's real sunny here in Belize - gives me that 30fps @60 we all want for vids. Also ND16 so whatever works go for it! OH yeah if I film with ND16 or ND32 or whatever I will also shoot still pics with same ND filter that is on......works for me.
Sweet thanks, do you have a youtube with any of your vids?

Sweet thanks, do you have a youtube with any of your vids?
Yes I do - here's the link - My Vids - YouTube
The later vids are with the Mavic Pro - A lot of Govt infrastructure projects but not too shabby
Secret with the Mavic is just get out there & experiment -fly as often as you can until you get comfortable with the settings you are using - if you feel YOU need a ND32 or a ND64 just go for it - then just ENJOY!!!
Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: BIGLUG24
I was in Phoenix over the holiday and went straight to ND32 to get the frame rate I was looking for.

Reactions: BIGLUG24
Quick question on ND Filters, Can I store the Mavic with a filter on the gimbal? To save me from messing around on the field?

Quick question on ND Filters, Can I store the Mavic with a filter on the gimbal? To save me from messing around on the field?
Yep - sure can my ND16 filter lives on my Mavic unless I change it for ND32......I have Taco filter set UV through to ND64. Super nice set & nice case too!

Reactions: Youser
I live in Bullhead City, Arizona it is in the western part of the state at the very tip of Nevada. I was researching filters and I contacted Neewer to answer some questions here is my question and their response.

When I look at a description for a filter(set) I see different descriptions that I am not sure about such as optical glass or multi coated, ND 16 vs ND 16/PL and I don't know which is better. CPL I assume is the equivalent to a skylight filter (lens protector) for a SLR and a PL is a polarizing filter. Where can I educate myself please.
My intent is to end up with a set of filters ( CPL, UV, ND 4, ND 8, ND 16, ND 32 ) based on what I have read and what I know about SLR photography.

Here is Neewer's response

Optical glass is a little heavy, it will affect the calibration of the drone, we don't suggest it. We have the following resinous filter kit,which work good on the device, please take a look. You could search videos on YouTube to compare the ND ,CPL and UV.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Pieces-Filter-Mavic-Quadcopter/dp/B06XYL8RW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515577464&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer+filter+for+drone

I purchased ( CPL, UV, ND 4, ND 8, ND 16, ND 32 ), "so far" I have not had any problems. The night is young and so are we.

I read some people saying no one would ever need a ND32 on a Mavic but I will be ****** if the 16 could not get the correct exposure.
********! I even went for a ND64 as the previously purchased ND32 was not enough during a sunny January day at about 48° N.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Bullhead City, Arizona it is in the western part of the state at the very tip of Nevada. I was researching filters and I contacted Neewer to answer some questions here is my question and their response.

When I look at a description for a filter(set) I see different descriptions that I am not sure about such as optical glass or multi coated, ND 16 vs ND 16/PL and I don't know which is better. CPL I assume is the equivalent to a skylight filter (lens protector) for a SLR and a PL is a polarizing filter. Where can I educate myself please.
My intent is to end up with a set of filters ( CPL, UV, ND 4, ND 8, ND 16, ND 32 ) based on what I have read and what I know about SLR photography.

Here is Neewer's response

Optical glass is a little heavy, it will affect the calibration of the drone, we don't suggest it. We have the following resinous filter kit,which work good on the device, please take a look. You could search videos on YouTube to compare the ND ,CPL and UV.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Pieces-Filter-Mavic-Quadcopter/dp/B06XYL8RW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515577464&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer+filter+for+drone

I purchased ( CPL, UV, ND 4, ND 8, ND 16, ND 32 ), "so far" I have not had any problems. The night is young and so are we.

Here is a more direct response to your question:
ND filters will reduce shutter speed without changing the color profile (good ones anyways)

ND/PL filters will reduce shutter speed and also reduce glare from the built in polarizer. These filters will generally increase color saturation and enhance contrast.

Multicoated glass means it has a coating that reduces light reflecting off the lens. This will reduce lens flaring giving you
a much cleaner image. This process is not a cheap process to do right, so these will generally be the more expensive filters.

Optical glass (not multicoated) still works for most people, but those seeking the best image quality generally will opt
for the multicoated option due to the cleaner image it will produce.

A polarizer filter will generally reduce 1.6 stops of light where a good UV filter will keep not reduce any light.

Then there are resin filters which are the easiest and least expensive to make. Resin has less optical performance that glass.
They also threw a nice comment in there saying optical glass is too heavy, that statement is not correct, we have optical glass that weighs
the exact same amount as resin.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: Callum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot