DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters - do they reduce flare and are they worth it?

Robert S

Reactions
Hi.

I have recently purchased a shiny new MP and am mainly interested in taking high quality stills. I have noticed there's a huge amount of flare when taking pictures anywhere near the sun - even if I use a lens hood without the gimbal cover. Do ND filters really reduce this flare, or would I just be putting another layer of glass between the outside world and the sensor? Most of the time I am able to darken the picture by reducing the exposure time, but obviously this doesn't reduce flare.

Generally flare isn't such an issue aesthetically with videos, and I'm not particularly into video.

Hi.

I have recently purchased a shiny new MP and am mainly interested in taking high quality stills. I have noticed there's a huge amount of flare when taking pictures anywhere near the sun - even if I use a lens hood without the gimbal cover. Do ND filters really reduce this flare, or would I just be putting another layer of glass between the outside world and the sensor? Most of the time I am able to darken the picture by reducing the exposure time, but obviously this doesn't reduce flare.

Generally flare isn't such an issue aesthetically with videos, and I'm not particularly into video.
Filters are absolutely a must if you are having issues with glare and prop shadows. I highly recommend them.
You can search many threads on this forum regarding filters and filter brands.
@msinger has links on his site of various types. Check it out!
DJI Mavic Accessories & Tips - Mavic Help

I'm only an amateur when it comes to photography but the ND filters I use really help with lens glare. Prevents the landscape from getting washed out.

Im also a newb but i thought ND filters were for video only as they aid in correcting shutter speed.

Flares are common when filming with the mavic when the sun is visible. hehe
Not sure you can do anything except pointing other direction or add a ugly shroud in an attempt to shield the lens.
ND filters work on both Videography and Photography.
At least with my experience.;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007