DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters for drones photography, timelapses and videography (contains video)

Need is relative. Depends upon your needs and what your objectives are. Creating motion blur for a cinematic video look conflicts with the ability to create sharp still frame extracts from the same video. If you shoot during the golden hours, your shutter speed may already be within the cinematic range. A more useful filter is a GND filter, to lower the dynamic range of the scene.

Using lens filters will make you a believer. Anyone who says they aren't needed probably a) doesn't get good shots, b) doesn't use their camera in very many different situations, or c) they haven't actually used lens filters to see how they expand your capabilities to capture light and focus on detail in very specific ways.

I purchased the six-pack, and they went to the top of my 'essentials' list as a professional photographer.

If you're just flying for fun, or don't have expansive needs, then maybe they wouldn't be as important for you.

Using lens filters will make you a believer. Anyone who says they aren't needed probably a) doesn't get good shots, b) doesn't use their camera in very many different situations, or c) they haven't actually used lens filters to see how they expand your capabilities to capture light and focus on detail in very specific ways.

I purchased the six-pack, and they went to the top of my 'essentials' list as a professional photographer.

If you're just flying for fun, or don't have expansive needs, then maybe they wouldn't be as important for you.
You haven't done anything to explain how drone filters make you a better professional photographer, other than insult everyone else with your arrogance.

Last edited:
There's a lot of people around here that seem just ready and waiting to be offended by others who don't share their same viewpoints.

C h i l l

You haven't done anything to explain how filters make you a better professional photographer, other than insult everyone else with your arrogance.

Reactions: dkuhne
Well this took a turn. I think both of you have valid points. @Pilgrim Pilot I think the key to the OPs question is “need.”

I don’t do hyper-lapses so this is a real question. Would a day time hyperlapse look bad in the same way a daytime video would look bad without filters? Or is that an artistic opinion that hyperlapse is greatly enhanced by the use of filters? There’s a subtle difference there you know?

Reactions: hiflyer201
Are you talking about stills?
What kind of filters?
In 6 years of drone photography I haven't found any reason to use ND filters unless you have a particular reason to want to force a slower shutter speed.
And I don't fit a, b or c.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I don't get why ND filters are always so controversial. They are a tool that you sometimes want to use, and as such should be part of your kit. But you can definitely do without them. Need is too strong a word, one certainly doesn't need them. They are good for some specific use cases, that is all they are.

Reactions: Pilgrim Pilot
My thoughts exactly. For me, I've found I need them, as they offer a stunning range of options.

I don't get why ND filters are always so controversial. They are a tool that you sometimes want to use, and as such should be part of your kit. But you can definitely do without them. Need is too strong a word, one certainly doesn't need them. They are good for some specific use cases, that is all they are.

Sharing exactly how they are good in what specific types of cases would add value to the discussion.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Sharing exactly how they are good in what specific types of cases would add value to the discussion.
Motion blur (both for videos and stills) is one use case. But that is just one among several use cases. I frequently use a CPL filter to bring out vivid colours and cut out reflections; the blue of the sky, the white of clouds, and the deep green of vegitation that you get with a properly adjusted CPL filter is simply stunning. . That is another specific use case. I have even used a very dark ND1000 filter on a still subject just for the heck of it and I have discovered it captured colours and details far more better than a similar shot at a higher shutter speed. Here is one result.
DJI_0533~2.JPG

Reactions: Pilgrim Pilot
You already said why above. Motion blur.
I was hoping the two advocates above would share their wisdom with the rest of us, so we can all learn from them. Apparently, a) we aren't getting good shots b) we don't use our cameras in very many different situations c) we need to know how they would expand our capabilities to capture light and focus on details in very specific ways

I have even used a very dark ND1000 filter on a still subject just for the heck of it and I have discovered it captured colours and details far more better than a similar shot at a higher shutter speed. Here is one result.
A neutral density filter shouldn't make any difference to the colour rendition.
Are you sure you aren't just comparing different exposure levels?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I cant see any need for ND filters for still photography and many reasons why they're a really bad idea.
The drone isnt stable enough for a good, long exposure shot of acceptable quality and other than those, you want your shutter as high as possible/iso as low as possible.
Timelapse yes, you'll want them to create motion blur (it is after all a video...).

Polarisers on the other hand ARE extremely useful for still photography.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair