DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters for still pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding your enclosed sunset photo, that would be just as easy to accomplish without using an ND filter. There is no benefit to using an ND filter when taking that shot. However, if you think there is, I would love to hear why, although this is not a scene that a drone would have been the only way to have captured this. This could have been taken just as well , and it might have been, with a ground based DSLR. And it is a nice photo but you would have been better off creating an HDR image because you photo has lost most of the detail in the shadows, which would be the case with or without an ND filter on this shot.

Perhaps you can post some pictures that you have taken with your drone or DSLR as I am sure you have some good ones, please share Thumbswayup

BTW, sun sets in the West, not in the South :)

Last edited:
An ND filter is most commonly used to filter or block unwanted light from reaching the sensor in the camera. A good analogy is thinking about how when going out on a bright, sunny day you would take a cap and more importantly a pair of sunglasses to block out light. To this end, you can use an ND filter like a pair of sunglasses in front of the lens when it is too bright. This allows us to reduce harsh daylight reaching the sensor. In turn, we can use this to our creative advantage. Another way to think of it, is that an ND filter turns down the volume of light entering the lens when there is too much light, meaning you don’t have to use as fast a shutter speed, as smaller an f stop or as lower ISOs. Again these can all result in different artistic and creative looks in the final photograph.

Here are two of my pictures with an ND filter on a cloudy day, enjoy
The pictures were merely posted to show what ND filters can be used for.
I'm wondering how those examples are advancing your argument?
The camera uses the shutter speed to reduce the amount of light very effectively.
Slapping on sunglasses (ND filter) has only forced you to use a slower shutter speed but for what benefit?
If you had no ND filter, would the images look any different?

Both photos might be good examples to show how a graduated filter could be helpful as you could have reduced the brightness of the skies and allowed some of that murky detail to show up and given the images a lot more interest.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I'm wondering how those examples are advancing your argument?
The camera uses the shutter speed to reduce the amount of light very effectively.
Slapping on sunglasses (ND filter) has only forced you to use a slower shutter speed but for what benefit?
If you had no ND filter, would the images look any different?

Both photos might be good examples to show how a graduated filter could be helpful as you could have reduced the brightness of the skies and allowed some of that murky detail to show up and given the images a lot more interest.

To be clear, I haven’t advanced any argument, again merely pointing out what ND filters can do. You shoot the way you want too,it’s a free world, or is it.?

Both examples didn’t use a graduated ND filter but I did mention that graduated filters have really good uses.

Those examples have no PP done and the shadow detail would have been part of the RAW PP which I didn’t do. Having been able to lower the EV in those pictures also helps re-establish shadow details in PP had I decided to do so. I always like pure Jpeg pictures as best as I can get them.

I enjoy what I take and as stated before I merely wanted to show how ND filters can be used to make saturation and sharper images to view.

Lastly, the “sunset” picture as quoted by another member was actually taken around 1400 PST or 2pm,as far as I can remember,for those that don’t do mil time :)

Peace out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShermanFlyer
Time to move on folks, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have always found that having a debate using the written word is always difficult, as words, meanings and intentions can be interpreted differently by different people.
So as a little challenge, did I use an ND filter on this shot?
You can't tell, so does it matter?
Have a nice evening :)
Housatonic River Web.jpg

Time to move on folks, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have always found that having a debate using the written word is always difficult, as words, meanings and intentions can be interpreted differently by different people.
So as a little challenge, did I use an ND filter on this shot?
You can't tell, so does it matter?
Have a nice evening :)
View attachment 63570

Nope.

Reactions: ShermanFlyer
To be clear, I haven’t advanced any argument, again merely pointing out what ND filters can do. You shoot the way you want too,it’s a free world, or is it.?
Yes, it's a free world and you can do what you like but I can't see what benefit you believe you got from using the ND filter for those pix.
How do you think it made any difference?
All I can imagine is that you used a slower shutter speed because of the filter cutting light but I can't see how that would make the images any better.

Yes, it's a free world and you can do what you like but I can't see what benefit you believe you got from using the ND filter for those pix.
How do you think it made any difference?
All I can imagine is that you used a slower shutter speed because of the filter cutting light but I can't see how that would make the images any better.

Left without ND, right with ND.
Enjoy your picture taking with ND filters :eek::eek::eek:

1550707128501.png

Reactions: monchan
Left without ND, right with ND.
Help me out here.
I can't see what improvement is gained from the ND filter and 40 years of photographic experience tells me that all it will do is force a slower shutter speed.
What has the ND filter done to make the image on the right any better?

Help me out here.
I can't see what improvement is gained from the ND filter and 40 years of photographic experience tells me that all it will do is force a slower shutter speed.

Also .. The time of day is significantly different as shown by the cloud patterns. These are not directly comparable as they are taken at different times.

Instead of changing the aperture to reduce the amount of light in the image, we simply add on a ND filter, then adjust the exposure to the amount we want. It is easy and very effective, plus we can still set the aperture to a low value for sharper images, or wide open for a shallow DOF.

Just my 2 cents.

I can see clearly the difference in both images but maybe that’s applicable to individual taste, who knows.

Whatever floats ya boat just do it, but not the Nike way.
Peace out old bean!

Instead of changing the aperture to reduce the amount of light in the image, we simply add on a ND filter, then adjust the exposure to the amount we want. It is easy and very effective, plus we can still set the aperture to a low value for sharper images, or wide open for a shallow DOF.
Yes.. you can change the exposure by adjusting aperture, shutter speed or ISO but I'm still at a loss to see how that makes any improvement.
Whatever you do, the image is still exposed properly.
DoF is irrelevant to drone photos.
The lens has more DoF than you can use at any aperture.
The only way you could ever see any shallow DoF would be to be shooting very, very close

I can see clearly the difference in both images but maybe that’s applicable to individual taste, who knows.
The only significant differences I see are the sky is more rosy because of the change in the light over the time between the photos and the clouds look smeared.
I think you are fooling yourself.

Yes.. you can change the exposure by adjusting aperture, shutter speed or ISO but I'm still at a loss to see how that makes any improvement.
The only way you could ever see any shallow DoF would be to be shooting very, very close

The only significant differences I see are the sky is more rosy because of the change in the light over the time between the photos and the clouds look smeared.

As I have stated earlier I merely pointed out what ND filters can do to benefit the indivdual. If you don’t think there is a difference then that’s your opinion and I am not here to change that opinion and never had that attitude to start with.

I have had great success with ND filters on the Inspire and on the Canon, Nikon et al that I own.

You are probably more qualified to speak on the subject but I love what I do and I am going to continue doing what I do, and I am a happy person for the ability to be lucky to own a drone and do “my thing”.

Happy times old bean :cool:

Help me out here.
I actually prefer the image on the left. End of the day I guess it’s personal preference. We dont all like the same type of music,and we would never agree on what music is best. I guess art/photo interpretation is the same

There is motion blur on the right image...looks nice, but for me that would be a special case.

Reactions: 747P4
Really cool photos. It is amazing how clear the freeway road sign is for that long of an exposure. What drone are you using?

Mavic2pro.
I am as shocked as you at how well it works!

Any little movement on my tripod, and I end up with a blurry shot. Yet, with the Mavic, I get away with it!

More drone long exposure for me in the future! Who would have thought it works?!

Reactions: 747P4
More ND filter pictures:
Nice pix ... but I'm at a loss to see how using an ND filter made any difference.
All it's done is to have forced a slower shutter speed but since there's no motion in either pic, the filter hasn't made any difference.

Nice pix ... but I'm at a loss to see how using an ND filter made any difference.
All it's done is to have forced a slower shutter speed but since there's no motion in either pic, the filter hasn't made any difference.

Back to the drawing board, ho hum.;...…..
Now where was that drill and 40 feet of electrical wire I had to install Thumbswayup

Some more pictures and I am done.
Pictures with ND filters no PP whatsoever folks::::::::

Enjoy :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0116.JPG
    DSC_0116.JPG