DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters for still pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on people enough is enough. This thread is four page long and there is almost no helpful posts what so ever.
This should be locked.
[QUOTE="Cymruflyer, post: 676821, member: 25757" This posting was about the OP asking if he should be using an ND filter when taking still shots with his drone. The correct answer to that is no! It is never advisable to use an ND filter with a drone when taking still shots, because a drone is not the best platform to achieve sharp images when using longer exposures, which is what an ND filter will force the camera to do.

I respectfully have to disagree with you. Jeplane`s post 7 and 8 are great examples of how to use ND filters on a drone. No way you are getting a tripod up there

" I quite like the use of an ND filter from time to time, when it is used to slow the shutter and create streaks of clouds and milky looking oceans but these are to be used with a tripod when making long exposure, not while trying to use your drone."

MONCHAN SAID QUOTE:
"Always?? The video featured in my post # 68 also has very good results with ND filters. While I agree that tripods are a safer way to take long exposures, with the current gimbles on these drones good result are achievable. Drones have the advantage of being able to get where people and tripods can not.

When you say "The correct answer to that is no! It is never advisable to use an ND filter with a drone when taking still shots"
I think jeplanes posts and the above video show that current tech can get results that many people would be happy with.

I think this thread has too much heat, and everyone should step away from it.
OP Youtube has some videos if you search, sad really that on a forum like this, this get this heated."
[/QUOTE]

Jeplanes has some excellent shots, I agree and that is when the use of an ND filter is a great idea. It was long ago stated that in general, the use of an ND filter for still shots with a drone is not the thing to do, unless, UNLESS, the photographer is in a situation that requires such a thing, like wanting to get motion blur of either cars, water, clouds or what ever else. It was long ago, before the post you are quoting, stated that these are the only situations that it would be advisable to use the ND filter with a drone for still shots because the drone will almost invariably have some movement in the image from it bouncing around the sky.

If the same image could be taken from the ground, or close to it, then use the ND filter on a ground stabilized camera platform. From the beginning, no one has stated flat out, that an ND filter should never be used on a drone for still shots. In later posts it may have been stated that way to one person only, because I did not feel I need to keep filling up with words each post, that unless the need was there for movement, that it was okay.

These drones are fantastic and their image stabilization is unbelievable but they are not the best at long exposures in low light because of the movement the wind may cause during a long exposure (though some users get great results) and to add an ND filter for no apparent reason IS simply wrong advise. If you go through the images that 747 has posted, just about every image could have been replicated exactly with the need to further slow the shutter by the use of an ND filter. Therefore, suggesting using an ND filter when not really needed, would be poor advise to give out. I hope you understand that.

We all agree that when the need arises, it would be fine to use an ND filter when shooting stills with a drone, but only when the need arises, which in most situations is almost never.

Last edited:
You have a very high opinion of yourself (Captain J**Koff)
Look back and read your responses!
Once challenged and knowing that you cannot accept "other peoples views or opinions" you come across as a "bully" and a cantankerous little man Thumbswayup
What was your reason for writing a response with regard to "go jump".
Perhaps you were relating to "people" who commit suicide, as this is what I initially thought. Indeed, if that is what you were thinking then you are not a man at all and clearly demonstrate your lack of compassion for those families left without loved ones.

Lastly, I am quite "au fait" in reading flight data logs, so thanks for your kind words I don't need your help o_O
You are a sad person and my advice is to look at yourself Captain J**Koff Bully "I can't get my own way "w*NK*r".

Ummm if I may borrow your quote 747P4, you stated, and I quote: "One should never assume grasshopper!"

You should heed your own words, you are above "Assuming" that Meta4 is suggesting suicide. Best not to assume anything, as you have so often told us here. Best to check with Meta4 first before assuming anything, don't you think?

Also, may I ask 747P4, why is it that you went in and deleted almost if not all of your earlier posts from this thread???? Now no one can see what you have been saying all along.

OK I have undeleted All Post and will let an Admin look at this .
Sorry Closed.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986