DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters ND4 or ND8

Jblah

Reactions
Anyone know of any good ND filters that is already available for the Mavic Air 2 other than PolarPro's $149 ones? Don't want to pay a ton. The ones i got with the MA2 is fine but 16 was quite dark yesterday on a cloudy day and it was quite bright at 1/60 without one. Thanks

Thinking of buying this.
I ordered the Moment variable ND filter, but they’re not expected to ship till the end of June. I’m sure there’ll be sunny days over the next month, so I’m looking for something shipping sooner, if possible,

I see the lower end Skyreat and FStop Labs ND filters are available for MA2, but are PolarPro and Freewell shipping already?

Last edited:
I see the lower end Skyreat and FStop Labs ND filters are available for MA2, but are PolarPro and Freewell shipping already?
The website reads shipping on June 15th. Cinema Series Includes ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL. $59.99 US

Anyone know of any good ND filters that is already available for the Mavic Air 2 other than PolarPro's $149 ones? Don't want to pay a ton. The ones i got with the MA2 is fine but 16 was quite dark yesterday on a cloudy day and it was quite bright at 1/60 without one. Thanks

Thinking of buying this.
Do you want a quality filter?
The moment filters are hands-down the best.
You can also buy them individually.
What is the maximum aperture on the ma2?
There’s a good chance to actually only need one.

Glad you brought this topic up, I was actually shopping for some myself.. I have a question regarding the Fly More combo and the ND filters it came with. Since it only includes like 16,32 and 256. I went out on a bright day and tried the first two. 32 was way too dark but 16 was close. I had my video on 4k/60 and my shutter at 120 but the exposure still seemed a bit on the dark side. What do you do in that situation? Does it mean you need a different ND filter or is there an exposure setting you can tweak a little to dial it in and still retain the smooth cinematic video you want with the ND Filters? Ive always heard you need Shutter of 120 when doing 4k/60.

THanks!

Google the sunny 16 rule it will explain it all.
You really only need a four or an eight depending on the maximum f-stop your bird has.

Reactions: TooSlow2Care
Google the sunny 16 rule it will explain it all.
You really only need a four or an eight depending on the maximum f-stop your bird has.
I'm with you. I bought the FlyMore Combo and the filters that come with it are the 16, 64, 256... while these have their place for photos and shutter dragging, they are all too dark for shooting 60, 120fps video. I feel like ND4 & ND8 will be perfect for shooting higher framerates. ND16 may be ok for 30FPS, but those are what go on the MP2 and X7 cameras.

Freewell and Polarpro are great for filters. I have a couple of Moment lenses for my iPhone, but no filters.

Aloha

Thanks guys!. I just took mine out for a flight with the ND16 filter and shutter at 120. I was looking for what can I adjust to bring the brightness up a little more so that the histogram would be more center and found that I could bump the ISO up to about 400 seemed to help a great deal. I'll certainly be going after the ND4 & 8 filter for sure though.

What this rule states is that on bright sunny day if you set the shutter speed to the reciprocal of the ISO and the fstop to 16 then you get a good exposure.
So as a worked example:
ISO 100, 1/100, f/16 = correct exposure on a sunny day.
Since Mavic can't go to f/16 and you want a slower shutter speed you need the ND filter.
So the full stop fstops are:
f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22 and f/32
ND4= 2 stops
ND8 = 3 stops
ND16 = 4 stops. and so on.
So if you wanted to shoot as ISO 100, 1/60 you need to go down at least 2 stop.
One for the f/11 and one for the 1/60 (which is about double 1/100)
And of course on an overcast day you would need a smaller fstop.
I leave the rest to you. Pick your poison but you really only need one.
If you prefer a larger aperture then get a stronger one.

Thanks guys!. I just took mine out for a flight with the ND16 filter and shutter at 120. I was looking for what can I adjust to bring the brightness up a little more so that the histogram would be more center and found that I could bump the ISO up to about 400 seemed to help a great deal. I'll certainly be going after the ND4 & 8 filter for sure though.
How much noise did you see at 400 in post? I heard that up to 400 is acceptable because you can lower noise in post. I haven't done 4k60 yet because I do the quick shots. From what I hear on the ma2, quickshots only function at 4k30 max. So I've been shooting 4k30. Hopefully a firmware update will change this soon. Also miss my gimble speed controls that I had with my MA1.

If you have dropped the shutter speed to 1/60 You could’ve shot at ISO 200

How much noise did you see at 400 in post? I heard that up to 400 is acceptable because you can lower noise in post. I haven't done 4k60 yet because I do the quick shots. From what I hear on the ma2, quickshots only function at 4k30 max. So I've been shooting 4k30. Hopefully a firmware update will change this soon. Also miss my gimble speed controls that I had with my MA1.

I didn't really see much noise. I even went to 800 ISO at one point.

I’ve used Polarpro filters for years and this is the one I’ve ordered. It ships June 15th.

There you have some , hope it helps ?

There you have some , hope it helps ?

one more

Reactions: jmorales71
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness