DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters worth it?

LasVegasPilot

Reactions
One thought: ND filters are a necessity if I'm going to do for-hire photography/videography. They seem to make the shots seem better.

On 2nd thought: the YouTube videos explaining why I "need" the ND filter (from Polaris of course) feel like advertisements.

Is this just another add-on, a feature, an unnecessary product in the name of making money off enthusiasts? Or do they actually do good? Worth the money?

Reactions: copterbob
One thought: ND filters are a necessity if I'm going to do for-hire photography/videography. They seem to make the shots seem better.

On 2nd thought: the YouTube videos explaining why I "need" the ND filter (from Polaris of course) feel like advertisements.

Is this just another add-on, a feature, an unnecessary product in the name of making money off enthusiasts? Or do they actually do good? Worth the money?
Worth every penny in my opinion, depends on the quality you want from your videos.

Non polarized Nd filters have one very specific role on an non aperture camera such as the Mavic. They reduce the light and lower the shutter speed. This smooths the video by increasing motion blur, That’s all . They generally have no value for still photos.
If they are polarized, they increase saturation and reduce glare, useful for both still and video but tricky to position.
Long story short, yes filters raise the quality of your footage when used appropriately.

I just bought the Bower 6 filter kit and will be taking the next few months to play with it.

Non polarized Nd filters have one very specific role on an non aperture camera such as the Mavic. They reduce the light and lower the shutter speed. This smooths the video by increasing motion blur, That’s all . They generally have no value for still photos.
If they are polarized, they increase saturation and reduce glare, useful for both still and video but tricky to position.
Long story short, yes filters raise the quality of your footage when used appropriately.
Well said Robert, that is one of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to ND filters.

That being said, I would opt for a non-polarized ND filter if one is attempting a 360º pano. Using a polarized filter in this case may produce darker vertical bands in the sky located about 90º to either side of the light source (sun). Using a non non-polarized ND filter will eliminate the banding.

I have the PolarPro 3-filter Cinema Series - Vivid set which contains a 4ND-PL, 8ND-PL and a 16ND-PL (the PL designation is for "polarized"). In my area, I find that I use the 8ND-PL most often. I plan to film in ski country this winter and will probably be using the 16ND-PL, though I may need a 32ND or 32ND-PL. I haven't yet shot panos, but if I start, I will probably purchase a PolarPro 8ND and a 16ND.

So, if you are not doing 360º panos, I'd suggest getting the PL filter versions. Generally, they will help to make colors a bit more saturated and will cut down on reflections, especially when filming over water.

BTW, PolarPro have terrific customer support! My original 4ND-PL came through without the retention ring fitted to the inside of the filter. A quick call to PolarPro and I had a new one within a few days. There are other ND filter manufacturers out there, but some of their filters do not play well with the gimbal calibration process. You should do a bit of research on that account.

{snip}...They generally have no value for still photos. {snip}...

I actually use ND-PL filters on my Mavic for still photography to improve colors, darken skies and to cut reflections, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they have no value for still photography. Perhaps you were referring just to the ND filter's effect on the shutter speed not being needed in regular exposure still photography. However, that shutter speed effect will still be needed for any long-exposure still photography attempted by the Mavic owner.

What Robert said and I will add that without them your daytime videos will be jittery and disappointing, at least that was my experience.

I actually use ND-PL filters on my Mavic for still photography to improve colors, darken skies and to cut reflections, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they have no value for still photography. Perhaps you were referring just to the ND filter's effect on the shutter speed not being needed in regular exposure still photography. However, that shutter speed effect will still be needed for any long-exposure still photography attempted by the Mavic owner.
Yes, I was referring to just the NDs having no real value for still photo with the Mavic. Also agreed is the exception of deliberate longer exposure effects, but generally this runs counter to the efforts of the average person, especially on a moving platform.

Reactions: TheoMatthias

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007