DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND GRADIENT filters...how to use...

Lhemmerich

Reactions
I a set of the Polar Pro ND GRADIENT Filters....not sure how to really use them. No manual.
Photos seem dark on one side...not sure how to turn the lens to balance.

You put the filter on the lens with the dark part at the top. It's designed to darken the sky while leaving the lower part of the image as-is.

The general idea is that you line the gradient line up with the horizon (stronger ND portion on top, weaker ND portion on the bottom) - they are designed with the traditional landscape shot in mind, with a darker foreground and a brighter sky. If used properly you can expose for both the darker foreground and lighter sky/background at the same time, giving you a more balanced exposure resembling a HDR effect.

These are incredibly difficult to use effectively on drones, if it's video you need to have your flight path planned very carefully and anything you do that removes the horizon from the gradient line is going to mess up the footage, and if the brightness differential ever changes between the two it will mess up your exposure/footage. They are much more suited to still images of the traditional landscape variety.

If you are new to all this, I strongly recommend you start out with standard ND filters (Not PL and not Grad).

I understand the morning / evening filter...my question was about the other PL filters that adjust...where does the white dot go?

A gradient filter and PL filter are not the same thing. To be clear, which are you asking about? And what do you mean by morning/evening filter?

I understand the morning / evening filter...my question was about the other PL filters that adjust...where does the white dot go?

What ever direction you are flying face that way and then hold the filter up and look through it. When it its to its darkest point that’s the orientation you want the filter to be in. Note the position of the dot so when you put it on the Camera the dot should be in the same place.

A gradient filter and PL filter are not the same thing. To be clear, which are you asking about? And what do you mean by morning/evening filter?
Sorry, morning/evening should have said GOLDEN HOURS...
This is what I have....

Was asking how to use the marks on the filters as it is adjustable

Sorry, morning/evening should have said GOLDEN HOURS...
This is what I have....

Was asking how to use the marks on the filters as it is adjustable
The filters you have linked here are gradient filters and for a sunset type shot, the mark should be at 6 oclock at the bottom and not the top like a polarizer.

The filters you have linked here are gradient filters and for a sunset type shot, the mark should be at 6 oclock at the bottom and not the top like a polarizer.

Yep...ask me how I figured that out. The hard way! Hahaha! Mine actually came set up correctly and I CHANGED THEM because I was used to the Polarizer Filters. I almost returned them I was so mad!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev