DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEAR MISS on video!!

That happened to me also years ago while first learning to fly the lightweight Parrot. My screen showed the wires as the drone approached and I immediately put it in reverse but the signal latency was very slow (a few seconds response time ) and it continued forward but missed the wires, I breathed a sigh of relief until I realized the the Parrot was on it's way back of course, via the same route. Fortunately it dodged the wires in both directions. Thanks for the reminder :)

Reactions: Droniac
Before I fly, I consult Google Maps. I use its satellite view to look for locations to fly, what is around the area and then the 3D maps available here in SoFlo. You can find the power poles, lines and other utilities. Then on site, binoculars looking for possible hazards I might have missed in the maps. I don't launch without careful planning. I'm not 107, just recreational.

I always inspect the area before flying, but things like that can happen, and eventually will!
Most of the time I fly around my house, in the area I know perfectly, but always before launching from a new place I always check the surroundings and try to fly high, higher than any obstacles.
Still unexpected things can happen, as in this example...
The conclusion is, based on what we all see is: you never can be too careful when flying, those little wires would ruin your day, and drone if you would be a little lower / higher, that's tremendous luck!

I'm usually hyper-aware and make sure I have a visual on my drone... but missed seeing those telephone wires... WOW so close!!! Turn your sound on for a laugh.

Telephone, thin powerlines, and skinny limbs are the dearth of drone pilots - even the best ones. Typically can't see them till possibly too late; yet when I've clipped some tree limbs the Air2 did a fantastic job of "saving" itself and kept on flying. Scared me to death though.

Telephone, thin powerlines, and skinny limbs are the dearth of drone pilots - even the best ones. Typically can't see them till possibly too late; yet when I've clipped some tree limbs the Air2 did a fantastic job of "saving" itself and kept on flying. Scared me to death though.
I can attest to this on my MA2. Clipped some branches once and she just dropped away from them and flew on. There are no upward facing sensors so I wonder if the drone analyzes its own propulsion and if it finds resistance, it tries to lower itself and clear the obstacle. Just a thought. I have no clue.

I had a close call like that with fishing line hanging from a tree. Didn't see it when flying along river edge. Only saw it when looking at video on computer.
Good choice of music.

Come on, you did that on purpose 😬

Not close, but among !!
That video looks familiar to me my Mavic two pro actually flew into the same situation but surprisingly the obstacle avoidance kicked in and stopped the drone

That video looks familiar to me my Mavic two pro actually flew into the same situation but surprisingly the obstacle avoidance kicked in and stopped the drone

That IS a surprise !
Normally invisible like leafless fine twigs at the end of branches.
Very lucky.

OA saved me once, but it was a big old 'gum' tree (Eucalyptus) and the sensors picked up the thankfully heavy foliage.
While I was stupidly trying to do something while idling in flight, my ipad / controller mount lanyard had caught on my right controller stick sending it forward towards the tree.
As the M1P only has those forward sensors, I was kind of lucky there it didn't get send in another direction and into something else.

These are incredible machines I only wish they had added OA on the sides

Reactions: Droniac
Before I fly, I consult Google Maps. I use its satellite view to look for locations to fly, what is around the area and then the 3D maps available here in SoFlo. You can find the power poles, lines and other utilities. Then on site, binoculars looking for possible hazards I might have missed in the maps. I don't launch without careful planning. I'm not 107, just recreational.
When I see a reply like this in forums and on Facebook it always makes me think
Tiling
With
Associated
Trades
!

Reactions: rustysteel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads