DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nearly Lost Mavic Pro - Aircraft Disconnected. No RTH

It's always scary to have a disconnection in the system while flying. It happened to me today also, for a different reason I will share in another thread.

First, I am glad you are okay, all other people are okay, and you retrieved your Mavic safely. Thanks for being so detailed in what you did so everyone can learn.

Second, a couple things I would like to point out about your debrief:

* you did the right thing with searching the sky, and then not assuming the drone you found was yours, just using a little test maneuver first

* you turned off the R/C in the hopes of reconnecting the app; if the R/C is getting valid data (altitude, distance, etc.) then you should NOT TURN OFF THE R/C; the app is secondary, the R/C is primary, and you should never willingly sever the primary connection to control the drone

* you brought it back to you before doing this test; this was a good move but I would have waited until after landing and then doing any kind of flight test away from the crowd

Again, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: gingercookie
It's always scary to have a disconnection in the system while flying. It happened to me today also, for a different reason I will share in another thread.

First, I am glad you are okay, all other people are okay, and you retrieved your Mavic safely. Thanks for being so detailed in what you did so everyone can learn.

Second, a couple things I would like to point out about your debrief:

* you did the right thing with searching the sky, and then not assuming the drone you found was yours, just using a little test maneuver first

* you turned off the R/C in the hopes of reconnecting the app; if the R/C is getting valid data (altitude, distance, etc.) then you should NOT TURN OFF THE R/C; the app is secondary, the R/C is primary, and you should never willingly sever the primary connection to control the drone

* you brought it back to you before doing this test; this was a good move but I would have waited until after landing and then doing any kind of flight test away from the crowd

Again, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the notes Hally. Always good to hear from you ;)

Does the DJI app auto launch on an iPhone? I have always had to manually load it but perhaps I missed a setting...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

had the same issue with my Galaxy S7 on Nougat OS, before my flight, the moment I connected the controller to my S7 edge, Dji Go 4 app opened then asked to update, so I was forced to update using my data package(ouch) because i wont be able to do anything unless i update, so update was successful, turned on flight mode ( which I always do) fired up my Mavie and sent it to the sky to capture the cityscape.. So i flew it over the sea and after quite sometime, I got a message, "Aircraft Disconnected", then app crashed.. My heart pounded so fast thinking that my Mavic is free falling from the sky to the sea and expecting I wont be able to see it again.. During those times, I have Imagined the face of my wife, me swearing not to ever fly a drone ever again and just move on. So the app restarted I saw the video feed and it gave me a relief, so I continue flying and capturing some videos and so the 2nd app crash happened, with the same "Aircraft Disconnected" error message..got a mini heart attack again, panicked a little so I just pressed the RTH button but it wont come back (probably its disabled) , so I relaunched the app again, got back the feed again and had fly it back to me manually. I headed way back home with huge relief but a bit scared and promised to myself I wont fly again until I resolve this issue. I went to google play store and I saw so many complaints on this new update.. So again , another relief because it wasnt only me whose experiencing this issue..

PS I connected my S7 to my controller last night just to see if the app would crash but it didnt, so I guess it only happens while flying? Did anyone try this as well?

So I'm a bit late here and I had the exact same issue tonight as gingercookie did on my Mavic pro platinum and Galaxy S7: MP was really close and fortunately in my line of site and with no prior connection issue the app suddenly disconnected but the RC still showed normal status and controlled the MP.

First I tried force exiting the app re-opening it. Didn't work. Then I tried force stopping the app and restarting. Again no dice. Next I tried unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. This DIDN'T work! So I can confirm that it does not help in this situation to unplug and plug back in. Fortunately I was able to fly back home under direct vision with the app.

I did not try power cycling the RC because I wasn't sure what would happen to the MP if it was hovering and I did this. But I later tested it in a controlled environment and found that you can do this and it will reconnect.

I'm going to update all firmware tonight and hopefully this fixes it. If anyone has any updates on this issue I'm all ears.

Looking at the picture you posted, if there were that many people around when you were flying and at a rough estimate 20% were doing something on their mobile phone, you probably had an issue with electromagnetic interference. If there is a lot of radio traffic in the area then reception range is going to get restricted, I doubt its more complex than that.
Nope different frequencies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7