DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nearly new pilot check-in and observations on the Mavic Mini

Mavic Air 2

Reactions
I have been flying my MM for a few months and would like to share my thoughts on this drone on your forum. I bought the MM on a bit of a whim (my first drone), knowing that it was quite small and not expecting too much in the way of performance.

Well, 51 flights and 59.8 miles later, I can say I am mostly impressed. Not had many scary moments – lost signal quite a few times but regained it soon after – lots of high wind warnings but have been careful not to fly in ridiculous conditions. Have not had to change the props because I have not hit anything. Careful pre-flight checks, setting your RTH height correctly and making sure compass and IMU are calibrated ensures trouble-free flying.

Negatives: Poor signal range, fiddly gimbal cover, fiddly phone mount on the controller.
Positives: Very easy to fly, impressive video and photo quality considering its size, relatively cheap.

Taken plenty of photos and videos. Main interest is looking for patterns in fields from old settlements, buildings etc. Flying in a grid at about 380ft and taking lots of overlapping images, then using Photoshop's magic to merge them into one image shows amazing detail but generates huge files! Best results are made using the 4:3 camera aspect to use all the available pixels, and to stop at each photo and adjust the gimbal to straight down because the camera rises between moves - the photos then merge seamlessly.

Here are a couple of recent examples. They should open from the these links (They expire at the end of September)

This is 19 merged images of a local field I had hoped would have been more interesting than it turned out! The images didn't quite overlap in a couple of places. (Original file size 1.11Gb 7235x13702 pixels)
File size 7.3Mb

This is 5 merged images of a disused airfield and is much more interesting - the foundations of numerous buildings are visible. (Original file size 301.8Mb 4178x9958 pixels)
File size 3.5Mb

Hope this has been of interest .......

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000