DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need a good tablet to use with the Mavic Air in the $200 range

mapwd1702

Reactions
I have always used cell phones with my 3 different DJI drones. My newest being the Mavic air. I want a bigger screen and a dedicated unit for JUST the drone. i would like an Ipad, but the ones with GPS/data are really pricey. I have US cellular and could have a tablet added to my plan, but is that necessary??? NEED Help
Would a Samsung tablet be a more viable option???

I have US cellular and could have a tablet added to my plan, but is that necessary?
No, you do not need an Internet connection on your mobile device to fly. Without an Internet connection, that just means you will not be able to use features that require an Internet connection (e.g. downloading the maps in real-time).

Unless you are going to use a mount (and i know nothing about them so i don't know how big of a tablet they can hold), the bigger tablets/phones will not fit into the handgrips. I was going to get an 8" tablet, but it would not fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077J8WSNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Check this out, it can hold up to a 13” tablet, also you can pickup a secondhand iPad mini 2 or 4 cellular for about £200 here in the uk, failing that you can just get a normal WiFi only iPad and tether to your phone assuming you have a data plan that allows tethering, while other may have had no problems using android there have been many cases with android where older versions may not be fully compatible, as a result for the best reliablity Apple iPhones/iPads are the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: flymorecombo
yes, I always used Samsung phones, until my S8 bricked my Phantom 3 Stnd. Thought it was a firmware update that screwed my drone, nope. switched to Iphone snd everything came back to life

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

No, you do not need an Internet connection on your mobile device to fly. Without an Internet connection, that just means you will not be able to use features that require an Internet connection (e.g. downloading the maps in real-time).
what about GPS??? Starting to think I will just stick to using my iphone 8+. This is getting confusing. Some say you need it, others say you don’t. I just don’t want to risk loosing my drone

what about GPS?
You'll only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your location after taking off. All other GPS-related features use data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

Reactions: mapwd1702
You'll only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your location after taking off. All other GPS-related features use data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.
ok, that doesn’t seem to bad then

Amazon....refurbed tho. brand new is more like 300 with tax. Not the air but the bigger screen is nice and it's a little cheaper.

Yep, ended up with a New 9.7" ipad. Now I just have to get a tablet mount for the controller

Last edited:
I have always used cell phones with my 3 different DJI drones. My newest being the Mavic air. I want a bigger screen and a dedicated unit for JUST the drone. i would like an Ipad, but the ones with GPS/data are really pricey. I have US cellular and could have a tablet added to my plan, but is that necessary??? NEED Help
Would a Samsung tablet be a more viable option???

I have the wi-if mini 4 iPad and it works great. It fits perfect in the remote controller. With no cellular you will lose maps and follow me feature but you do have active track. Walmart has on sale 128gb wi if for $299.00 . To get cellular and 128gb they go for $600. I'm fine with no cellular . You will also not be able to reset Rth feature on the fly with no cellular it will rth to original take off point. The mini 4 is perfect for the controller and beats the hell out of using a cell phone screen.

I have the wi-if mini 4 iPad and it works great. It fits perfect in the remote controller. With no cellular you will lose maps and follow me feature but you do have active track. Walmart has on sale 128gb wi if for $299.00 . To get cellular and 128gb they go for $600. I'm fine with no cellular . You will also not be able to reset Rth feature on the fly with no cellular it will rth to original take off point. The mini 4 is perfect for the controller and beats the **** out of using a cell phone screen.

What if you tether the WiFi iPad mini to your iPhone while flying? Will it be able to use the GPS through the iPhone’s connection?

Reactions: Coskier
The Nexus 7 2013 fits mine. Seems to work fine. Only flown with it once. Found the 90 degree down micro usb to type A 4.5 inch cable on EBay for cheap. It has gps built in. You should be able to find used ones for under 100 bucks. I paid 65 for mine.

Don.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    933.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
What if you tether the WiFi iPad mini to your iPhone while flying? Will it be able to use the GPS through the iPhone’s connection?

You can tether wifi for internet connections, but it's not possible for wifi-only iPad to get/use GPS signal off the iPhone.
Alternative is to buy an cell-enabled iPad, or get a bluetooth GPS receiver, like a Dual XGPS150 (~$90 on amazon).
I have used the Dual GPS with my ipad 3 mini (wifi) and works great for off-road trips. Though, I have not tried that same setup with with the MA. I suspect it should work as if you have GPS-enabled iPad.

Reactions: Travisimo
That question is problematic from the read. iPad mini 2 is garbage outside as I had one and just use my iPhone X. Sub 2 bill tablets are rough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22