DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need a tablet for the Mavic Mini

2Mbps

Reactions
Quick synopses:

Bought a DJI Mavic Mini Fly More combo on Amazon a couple years ago. Only to find out the App you need for this thing is not only coded for a 64 bit OS, but works better on an Apple device (in terms of not losing your drone due to a bad App/device).

Question:

I'm looking for a nice budget friendly Apple iPad that will work with this thing (Mavic Mini). I'm going to buy it on eBay since I already paid some $500 for this drone several years ago when I bought it and don't want to sink even more money into this thing.

I do have a tablet holder, just need a compatible iPad. Anyone have some suggestions that are budget friendly? Like no more than $150 or less used? Thanks!

Edit-

I'm open to Android if that'll work.

Quick synopses:

Bought a DJI Mavic Mini Fly More combo on Amazon a couple years ago. Only to find out the App you need for this thing is not only coded for a 64 bit OS, but works better on an Apple device (in terms of not losing your drone due to a bad App/device).

Question:

I'm looking for a nice budget friendly Apple iPad that will work with this thing (Mavic Mini). I'm going to buy it on eBay since I already paid some $500 for this drone several years ago when I bought it and don't want to sink even more money into this thing.

I do have a tablet holder, just need a compatible iPad. Anyone have some suggestions that are budget friendly? Like no more than $150 or less used? Thanks!

Edit-

I'm open to Android if that'll work.
What size iPad are you wanting to use, or how big will your holder allow you to have?
You can find decent iPads.. iPad 5 or so on eBay for around what you want to spend. I would avoid the iPad mini 4 since it doesn't like the newest version of fly app. Mini 5 or better will cost you a bit more than what you are wanting to spend.
Have you looked on DJI website Download DJI Apps - DJI ?
They have a list of supported mobile devices

I use an Ipad mini 5 on both my drones, works well. My Ipad mini attaches to my original Mavic Mini and my Mavic Air 2 without needing a holder. From what I've read the Ipad mini 4 works but is a little slower.

Nowadays both Apple iPad devices and Android tablets are good contenders as long as they meet the system requirements of the Fly app. Apple may have a bit of an advantage because they control both software and hardware. One of the common complaints with an Apple device is the screen dimming in hot weather so that can be a problem if you are flying in a hot environment.

Check here for a list of compatible devices.

Chris

I use the iPad mini 6 and it works great. It is a bit pricey but it works like a champ. I have found the 64gb is sufficient for everything that I do. I did get the one with cellular but is not required. I also use the iPad for everyday use as well that is the reason that I have cellular on it. Unfortunately that is the only size my cellphone provider offered in. If you are going to use this with the original Mini you will have to get an adapter obviously to attach this to the remote and a longer cable and they can be found on Amazon. https://a.co/d/0XsL2nV and a longer cable https://a.co/d/ez7Cvpl

I've used a Galaxy Tab S6 for Mavics for years. It's got a lot of cracks on the screen but a little tilt and you can see what the drone sees nice and clear. You really don't need to spend much. I would go for a refurbished Android or Apple (by the companies) as long as it meets the minimum standards, but do take care of brightness, you can put a hood, even homemade, around it on bright days. But way better than any phone. Using a phone, for me, is very frustrating, you can see so little. Not because of my aging eyes, not at all. :)

Nowadays both Apple iPad devices and Android tablets are good contenders as long as they meet the system requirements of the Fly app. Apple may have a bit of an advantage because they control both software and hardware. One of the common complaints with an Apple device is the screen dimming in hot weather so that can be a problem if you are flying in a hot environment.

Check here for a list of compatible devices.

Chris
Thank you for the info and the link, been looking for this as I want a tablet and want to make the correct decision.

Thanks for the responses. I now have a better idea on what I should get.