DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need feedback on A2S mod.

7d1

Reactions
Ok so I have a general question regarding my air2s but it will really apply to any aircraft.

I have an extra Samsung Note 9 that I have been successfully able to secure to my A2s. The phone has a Flir one Pro thermal imager attached to it. So far the footage has been good but I am blind to what it is seeing until after I land and remove my phone.

Is there any option that would allow me to stream to another device or display, long range? I can screen mirror in close proximity but nothing further.

Also the flir one is on an extension Cable from the phone so it is almost acting like a stand alone unit. Is there a way to add this to a gimbal of some sort to be able to control pan and tilt? Total weight of the flir one is 3 oz and again is running off a cable to a stationary phone.

New here and hoping someone with some experience in the field can assist.

Thanks in advance.

I think you'd be better off looking at a much larger platform than the Air 2S to mount a different gimbal on etc.
Remember, a gimbal needs power and there's no easy place to take it from the Air 2S. This means carrying an extra battery somehow.
I'm not saying it can't be done though.

As to the video feed, if the Note 9 can output an HDMI signal at the same time as running the FLIR then you could get an analogue video transmitter with an HDMI input and a screen plus a video receiver. Or, a digital link such as the DJI FPV system.

If your Note 9 has cell/data service it should be easy. You can use TeamViewer (it's free) to see everything on the Note 9. I just used my Galaxy S20+ to connect to my S9, turned on the camera and switched between photo & video and front/back cameras, and could see everything. The image isn't HD, but it's still really clear.

If the Note 9 doesn't have cell/data service you would need wifi/Hotspot and your range would probably be a lot shorter.

You would probably need a 2nd phone/tablet just to watch the thermal cam, because the extra little bit of latency may make trying to fly via the thermal cam a little more difficult.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1