DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help finding compatible device

Mrmund

Reactions
Hey guys, I searched all over to no avail.
I purchased a mavic mini for my father, he takes a lot of train pictures and I thought he'd really enjoy it.
I tried to set it up for him before he arrives this weekend for the holidays, and it turns out the year old LG phone I had for him doesn't work with the DJI fly app. So... I decided I'll just go down to Sprint and get him a tablet(bigger screen it probably better anyway).
They have Samsung Tab A's and 7th generation iPads. Can anyone confirm if it will work with one of those? I've looked on a couple of "compatibility lists" and they're not on them. Thing is neither it my iPad mini 4 and it works with it.

I have a Samsung Tab A6 but the directional indicator bottom left in the Go4 app doesn't work properly, I assume this is because the A6 doesn't have a compass, everything apart from that works perfectly.
I now have an iPad air & the directional indicator works as it should.
Plus one for A6 is the way it handles off line maps, in this it is in my opinion way better than the iPad as with it I have to download a map then not power it off or close Go4 until I fly.

Reactions: Mrmund
Hi.
I have tested my Mavic Mini with some tablets and phones.
Works fine with Oneplus 7 Pro.
App crushing on Oneplus 6 and can't go beyond searching drone point.
Tested with Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 10 inch, BAH2-W19 (WiFi), works perfect.
Not working with Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580). I cannot install software from Google Play or from exterrnal source.
Not working with Nexus 7 with custom software.
I don't know why DJI made software not compatible with so many devces. Shame.

Last edited:
Hi Manriusz. Sorry, what did you mean about custom software with the Nexus 7. I was thinking of buying that or the 8?

Hi Surfnut.
Nexus 7 is my old device,still working fine and sleeping in drawer ;-) , it has Android 5.1.1 (too old for DJI). Thought it way work with DJI Fly with custom ROM. Custom ROM is tweaked system, you can find lot of them on xda-developers.com. After install few versions of Android I can say, none of those ROM's are compatible with DJI Fly. I did same thing with my old Samsung Note 3 and Android 8 without luck as well. Maybe hardware problem, as I know, DJI Fly needs 64bit system.
I don't have any Apple device to test.

That's a bummer that your dad's new LG phone doesn't work.

I have a dim and unreliable memory of reading a post in which someone said their Samsung Tab A did not work. I could easily be wrong about that, however.

DJI doesn't have any tablets on their list, so clearly they just haven't bothered checking yet. That's annoying. Some iPads clearly do work, although I do recall reading that only the iPads with a cellular radio in them have a compass installed. (The WiFi-only ones do not.) This too may be bad info, since I don't have direct experience.

Okay, I just googled to satisfy my curiosity. The specs on the 7th gen 10.2-inch iPad say:

All models
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • iBeacon microlocation
Wi-Fi + Cellular models
  • Built-in GPS/GNSS
  • Cellular

So, I guess they all have compasses, but only the spendy cellular models have GPS. See, this is why you never believe anything you read on forums! ; )

Question: Does the Mini remote control have it's own GPS, or does it rely on the attached phone/tablet for that? I'm guessing the latter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr