DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help in upgrading computer

Rogerc

Reactions
I am enjoying the video my MP2 takes and using Davinci Resolve to edit.
I thought my computer would do better with editting but is about 5 years old. It renders at a descent time but I am not able to scrub the videos well.
Wanting to know if upgrading my graphics card will be enough to get this baby running faster.

These are my specs: I7-700 running at 4.2. Using GTX 1070 Graphics Card. Have 16 ram and 2 SSD drives.

Will just updating my graphics card to say a 2070 give me enough boost to really make a difference?
I am thinking of also adding 16 more ram for a total of 32.

Is my computer just too old and would it be better just to buy a newer model?
Hoping I can just upgrade the graphics card and memory and get a nice boost and not have to put the $$ out for a new computer.
Any and all advice is appreciated.
RC

Reactions: tlswift58
Ram and a new graphics card will definitely give you a boost. I would recommend the 2060S, its not much lower in spec from the 2070 and may even out perform it in some respects. I would have to go back and look at the spec sheets. If you are looking for a new system to build or even have built right now you just can't beat Ryzen in terms of capability. I use a Ryzen 7 3900X on an X570 chipset and its and absolute beast for rendering.

This should give you the benchmark scores and I was wrong the 2070 does slightly outperform as far as gaming is concerned but only by 7%. The bad news is and keep in mind I only checked Amazon for this so your mileage may very, it seems that the scalpers are working overtime. When I bought my 2060S in July it was around 500. Right now that same card is almost $1000

Thanks for all the feedback. Really good info that I am putting into use tonight!!
Yes the scalpers are hard at work. I think I am going to go with a ram upgrade for about $175. Much cheaper.
I was editing 4k video and so that was part of my problem. Just tried 1080 and much more fluid. Going to try one step up from 1080 and see if I can get a good compromise.

If it helps, I have an i7 8700 @3.2 w/48gb ram and GTX 1070 card. Davinci Resolve works pretty well with this setup. It could be faster still. Have you considered the new Mac Mini M1 for Davinci?

You can also use ProRes files to edit with. Transcode the DJI footage to it, and edit with it. The disc space needed will greatly increase, but ProRes is designed with editing in mind, an d makes far fewer demands on the Pc.

I am enjoying the video my MP2 takes and using Davinci Resolve to edit.
I thought my computer would do better with editting but is about 5 years old. It renders at a descent time but I am not able to scrub the videos well.
Wanting to know if upgrading my graphics card will be enough to get this baby running faster.

These are my specs: I7-700 running at 4.2. Using GTX 1070 Graphics Card. Have 16 ram and 2 SSD drives.

Will just updating my graphics card to say a 2070 give me enough boost to really make a difference?
I am thinking of also adding 16 more ram for a total of 32.

Is my computer just too old and would it be better just to buy a newer model?
Hoping I can just upgrade the graphics card and memory and get a nice boost and not have to put the $$ out for a new computer.
Any and all advice is appreciated.
RC
I-7 is fine IMHO. I use an OLD (like 2012 I-5 / 2600) processor - but do use Lightroom only - no real video stuff yet. Got a 630 GPU with like 2 GB's of RAM.

NVDIA has I think it's the 3070 out now (more for gamers). I'm sure in the $1000+ range though. A year old GPU with lots of RAM onboard is optimal. Going to 32GB is also a good cheaper move.

Find a good GPU that works more for video editing than just gaming - yet may be one in same these days.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Really good info that I am putting into use tonight!!
Yes the scalpers are hard at work. I think I am going to go with a ram upgrade for about $175. Much cheaper.
I was editing 4k video and so that was part of my problem. Just tried 1080 and much more fluid. Going to try one step up from 1080 and see if I can get a good compromise.
2.4k is good. A little bigger file size, but not like at 4k. Remember - you can always downgrade from 4k, but can't upgrade.

I do most of my flying in 1080p / simply as it goes to 4x on zoom. Depending on where I am flying (waterfalls / mountains / trees) - I can scroll from 1-4x and anywhere in between to remain safe and still get in some nice close-up shots. 2x in both 2.4k / 4k do okay with that, but sometimes I need between 2.5 - 3x - which neither offer.

Were I flying where 2-4x was not an advantage - I'd shoot 2.4k for file size and quality is still great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J