DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help with the dreaded TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect)

Bill Ludwig

Reactions
I have recently encountered the TBE, but ONLY in Sport mode. I have performed multiple compass calibrations to no avail. I have NOT calibrated the IMU, but of all the threads I've read on this problem, re-calibrating the IMU was not mentioned, even though this seems to be the only other component that could affect the TBE issue. The real question is why is this happening to me ONLY in Sport mode. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED -- IT JUST NEEDED A STICK CALIBRATION.

Last edited:
I have recently encountered the TBE, but ONLY in Sport mode. I have performed multiple compass calibrations to no avail. I have NOT calibrated the IMU, but of all the threads I've read on this problem, re-calibrating the IMU was not mentioned, even though this seems to be the only other component that could affect the TBE issue. The real question is why is this happening to me ONLY in Sport mode. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
A compass problem should manifest itself in any mode.
What exactly are you seeing?

A compass problem should manifest itself in any mode.
What exactly are you seeing?

Everything seems perfectly normal - flights are dead on accurate - compass calibrations have been perfect, but when I’m going full forward straight ahead in Sport mode, I get the toilet bowl effect.

What exactly are you seeing that makes you say it is TBE?

What exactly are you seeing that makes you say it is TBE?
When in Sport mode, full forward flight, hand off of the left stick, the drone starts traveling in a large left circle until I manually yaw it back to straight ahead, then when I let off of the left stick, it starts the large left circle again.

When in Sport mode, full forward flight, hand off of the left stick, the drone starts traveling in a large left circle until I manually yaw it back to straight ahead, then when I let off of the left stick, it starts the large left circle again.
But out of sport mode, it doesn't?
And it hovers in place without yawing?

Yes, out of Sport mode it flies perfectly straight. I have not tried it in a hover in Sport mode.
It's a bit puzzling that it only shows up in Sport Mode, possibly is easier to see then?
The joystick calibration is one area that could contribute to what you describe.
Flight data might also be useful to see what's happening under the hood.

It's a bit puzzling that it only shows up in Sport Mode, possibly is easier to see then?
The joystick calibration is one area that could contribute to what you describe.
Flight data might also be useful to see what's happening under the hood.
Strange that you should mention joystick calibration. I did get that notification of need to calibrate back about 6 flights ago, but none since. I'll give that a try tomorrow and will report back. I'll also confirm again that it happens only in Sport mode, and will try it when hovering in Sport. I do appreciate your help with this issue.

Reactions: Meta4
Sport mode allows for faster speeds and more agile movements. This could be that you may have a motor that is not operating at the proper rmps, or possibly an blade failure.
I think the data logs is what should be looked at for further information.

Sport mode allows for faster speeds and more agile movements. This could be that you may have a motor that is not operating at the proper rmps, or possibly an blade failure.
I think the data logs is what should be looked at for further information.
I just performed a stick calibration as recommended by Meta4. During the calibration the left stick on yaw was acting erratically until I calibrated it. That very well could have been my issue. I’m anxious to see the results in a flight in the morning...

Reactions: Thomas B
I just performed a stick calibration as recommended by Meta4. During the calibration the left stick on yaw was acting erratically until I calibrated it. That very well could have been my issue. I’m anxious to see the results in a flight in the morning...
If that doesn’t work try turning up your yaw gain 10%. That should help keep it on the straight and narrow. Otherwise time to send in for repair. Should not be doing that

Reactions: Thomas B
If you fly at slower speeds in sport mode do you have the same issue?

Old blades? Try replacing blades. If no change, then it's another issue. EZ test.

Well, thanks to Meta4's suggestion regarding stick calibration, today's test flights after calibration flew perfectly straight. Not sure why, after over 150 flights, the controller decided to go out of calibration as it's never been bumped or mistreated in any way. However, the good news is that's what caused the problem. Thanks, Meta4!!

Well, thanks to Meta4's suggestion regarding stick calibration, today's test flights after calibration flew perfectly straight. Not sure why, after over 150 flights, the controller decided to go out of calibration as it's never been bumped or mistreated in any way. However, the good news is that's what caused the problem. Thanks, Meta4!!
It's just as anything electronic or mechanical over time it will need adjusting in some people's, and never an issue in others.

Glad it was a simple fix, happy safe flying....

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
Toilet Bowl Effect is where rather than hovering it will start to do little circles around the spot, it can be compass related or due to conflicting or intermittent GPS especially at high latitudes.
In severe cases the circling can become extreme and uncontrollable resulting in loss of drone.

You are much less likely to encounter it with more recent models since they started using Glonass satellites as well as GPS - the lock is usually much better than GPS only (e.g. Phantom 2) where you would often slip below six satellites - barely enough.

Reactions: Kilrah
Toilet Bowl Effect is where rather than hovering it will start to do little circles around the spot, it can be compass related or due to conflicting or intermittent GPS especially at high latitudes.
In severe cases the circling can become extreme and uncontrollable resulting in loss of drone.

You are much less likely to encounter it with more recent models since they started using Glonass satellites as well as GPS - the lock is usually much better than GPS only (e.g. Phantom 2) where you would often slip below six satellites - barely enough.

I've never seen a case of TBE caused by poor GPS, and the required mechanism by which it happens doesn't seem to exist in that situation. Have you seen examples like that?

I've never seen a case of TBE caused by poor GPS, and the required mechanism by which it happens doesn't seem to exist in that situation. Have you seen examples like that?
Of course not ... lose sats and the drone just drifts in atti mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun