DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some help from UK flyers.

Mario T

Reactions
Ok friends from the UK. I need some help with creating my Operators manual for the UK. I spent some time on the phone with the CAA and all they did was confuse me more than I already am.

I have the basic understanding of what needs to be in the operators manual. I got the safety, preflight, during flight, after the flight, in case of emergency, make and model of drone (uav), drone specs, reporting instructions Incase of incident, who will be flying the drone, why they will be flying the drone, will be adding insurance information and pilots license information from the USA.

Am I missing something? Is there a template of the things needed? I have to have this done before the end of the day tomorrow soO can pay the current price and not the new higher price coming on the first of April, yeah they just casually mentioned it to me today.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Mario

I’m totally confused. I live in the UK and haven’t come across anyone having to pay to register a drone, let alone fly. The rules are advisory, ie, don’t fly above 400 feet, not closer than 150 feet from crowds and buildings and not near airports. Down load the app that shows ‘no fly zones’. You don’t have to declare your flight, although there is an app to do so if you wish, again this is voluntary.
Have the CAA got the wrong message from you?

Reactions: Mario T
I’m going to be taking photos for sale and making videos for our company. So We have to register for permission to fly in the UK. I questioned then thoroughly and explained that I’m not doing any for hire work it’s only for myself and my company, they insist that I have to register so I am going to comply and register.

I have the apps and I got my US drone pilots license, got all the information you stated and spent time stating all of them for the CAA. They still want me to register. So now I’m working on the manual, they want a copy sent in digitally with the application, along with a copy of my license and insurance.

I’m not surprised. They will want to know every time you intend to ‘fart’ . I fly a lot but not commercially, it’s amazing how much the authorities like to jump on the band wagon as soon as they even get a sniff at anyone making a fast buck. Anyway, best wishes and I hope you enjoy the Uk.

Seems rediculous that if you are certified (I mean that in the best way) that you need to report and tell everything. But if you are just a hobbiest you just have to obey a few commonsense rules listed.

Don’t you have to do a course if you want to do commercial work? The info you need ie ‘operators manual’ is what the course is all about surely?

Doing it as a ‘hobbyist’ for a company is not an excuse for not qualifying as a commercial flyer because that’s what you will be. You need to take some advice methinks or you could be in serious doo doo!

I have flight training as in private pilots training which helps with the grown school knowledge part. What they want is to make sure you know the rules and abide by them. How to read an aviation map and read NOTAMS similar stuff you learn when flying an airplane. I’ve also had to pass an exam to get my UAV pilots license in the USA which is the same basic knowledge test they give you in the drone schools here. I must keep a log book of all my flights, wish I do anyway, and have the operator manual. They want to make sure you are flying safely which I completely understand.

I have flight training as in private pilots training which helps with the grown school knowledge part. What they want is to make sure you know the rules and abide by them. How to read an aviation map and read NOTAMS similar stuff you learn when flying an airplane. I’ve also had to pass an exam to get my UAV pilots license in the USA which is the same basic knowledge test they give you in the drone schools here. I must keep a log book of all my flights, wish I do anyway, and have the operator manual. They want to make sure you are flying safely which I completely understand.
Thanks Mario, I get all of that, I’m just concerned (for you) that there is more to it than even that. In the U.K. there is a very distinct difference if flying commercially safely and as a hobbyist safely. Eg I don’t believe putting together your operational manual will cover it. Could be wrong but this is a quote from heliguy website:

How do I actually become a qualified commercial drone pilot?
In order to obtain a Permission for Commercial Operation, you must first complete Ground School unless you have a valid aviation qualification.

After the ground school, you will compile an Operations Manual which details your organisation, operating procedures and the technical specifications of your aircraft.

Once the operations manual is complete and approved by our instructors, you will then be required to conduct a practical flight assessment to ensure that you are competent and confident operating your aircraft.

On successful conclusion of the practical flight assessment, you are then eligible to apply for a PfCO to the CAA.”

If you are within all of this then well done Thumbswayup

Check section 3.4 of this document.
You may be granted an exemption with having a US Pilots Licence.
I thought I had an operations manual template, but I can't find it.
Hope this helps....Thumbswayup

Attachments

• CAP 722 Sixth Edition March 2015.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member