DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some help with Part 107 test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@brett8883 @Mark.W
One more question for understanding. Attached is a sectional with Fentress airport to the SSE of Norfolk. Clearly it is marked Class E with dashed magenta line. Obviously that airspace begins at SFC.... May I assume, because it is not marked otherwise it extends to 1200' AGL?

View attachment 113929
Try reading the information box on the sectional, it is quite specific about Class E airspace.

I hate when they use "trick" or deceptive answers because that shouldn't be a part of a finding the true answers. In real life you wouldn't try to trick yourself to determine the answer
There is no “trick” answer. The methodology in multiple choice exams is very clear, present the correct answer, an answer that could be correct if the candidate doesn't know what they’re doing, and one or two incorrect answers. The only requirement is to remove any obviously incorrect answer(s) and then use your knowledge to chose between the remaining two. If you know the material and apply it, there is no problem; if you don’t know the material, or can’t apply it, then that has nothing to do with the format of the exam or the person(s) responsible for writing it.

Reactions: VortexSpin
@brett8883 @Mark.W
One more question for understanding. Attached is a sectional with Fentress airport to the SSE of Norfolk. Clearly it is marked Class E with dashed magenta line. Obviously that airspace begins at SFC.... May I assume, because it is not marked otherwise it extends to 1200' AGL?

View attachment 113929
And yet another...

If you take your initial test on March 1st, 2019, you must take your recurrent test by
Choose only ONE best answer.

A: March 1st, 2021

B: March 1st, 2020

C: March 31st, 2021- Correct answer???

I got this wrong and said "A". I could be wrong but March 31st 2021 is 25 months - with reccuring knowledge tests required every 24 months! What did I not understand???
Read the FARs more carefully - the end of the relevant month is the cutoff date.

Another stupid dumb-*** question...

The best method for scanning the sky at night is to use

A: Peripheral vision

B:the center of your vision

C: binoculars

I chose B, the center of your vision but the correct answer was A: peripheral vision. On other tests the correct answer was to "scan the sky in 10° sections", but not specifying night time. WTF??? As an educator of several subjects I would like to take the question writer, hang them upside down by their ankles and have at them with a boat oar.
Why do you refer to this, or indeed any, question as “dumb-***”? Just because you don’t know the answer doesnt make the question any less valid. If you don’t know about how the eye works and the consequences of that for night vision, and you then receive permission to fly at night (which is presupposed on you understanding the various issues of that flight situation), you will not be flying safely (or, I would say, professionally). That is an undesirable situation for a professional pilot and for the rest of us who may have to share the airspace with you.

Reactions: VortexSpin
Ok... For those who didn't see an earlier post... I took and passed the Part 107. Read on if you want to hear about the experience of it.

It wasn't quite and the crushing score that I had expected based on my preparation. But from the score report I can see that there were three or four questions that were unexpected and a little tricky. I missed TWO questions on "aircraft loading". One I missed involved in flying in an aircraft pattern, something that I'm sure that every UAV pilot will have to know ? ? :mad:! I missed two question on weather, perhaps from the SIX TAF codes they exected me to read. And there was one trick question about "stress" where it was a toss up because any of the reasons would have been valid, yet they were expecting me to remember whatever the stated text was from the 88 page FAA study guide. I find it odd how they word the questions to try to trip you up based on how they phrase the questions. Even though it is a UAV test and I suspect that a majority of those taking this test are flying quads, there really aren't any quad related questions. But there sure were a TON of questions specifically related to fixed wing aircraft. I still did respectably well, but thought I had a better score when I finished the test.

I don't know if I mentioned the test "conditions', which were unexpected...
The testing facility was the actual PSI facility where they administer a lot of different tests. There were 6 people that had to sign in before me. They tell you to come 15 minutes early to sign in and I came 30 minutes early. It took over 40 minutes to sign in. Then when I got to my kiosk, they had a "techincal error" where the test wouldn't recognize their computer's IP address. I waited another 40 more minutes, stripped of all my personal belongings just sitting there, nervous that I might not even be able to take the test that day. Another guy taking his pilot's license test was sitting in his kiosk for over an hour (I watched him check in). So I was there 80-90 minutes before being able to start the exam. I By the time I got to the end of the test I didn't have the mental energy to really review the test in more than a cursory manner.

The printed supplement with the charts, small as I exepected (and wisely brought a magnifying glass) was also faintly printed. And when I went to "submit" the test it had yet another techincal issue as well as it wouldn't let me submit the test. I had to go the proctor who was able to call their tech support and get it submitted on their end. Mercifully they were able to do that. I feared I'd have to take the test all over again. Talk about another stressful few minutes. At the end I was mentally drained. I got there at 1pm and didn't leave until close to 4pm! It was a real ordeal and way more stressful and time consuming than it should have been.

I'm reviewing the wrong answers as to get a handle on what I might do better in 2 years when I have to take the recurrent/refresher test. I am so glad this test is was over with. I want to thank all of you that helped me get through this.

Reactions: Thomas B
Congrats. Hope the forum helped.

Congrats. Hope the forum helped.
Yes... It really did. Thank you. I had some behind-the-scenes chats with a few members who really helped me get a handle on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara