DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some help with Part 107 test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck next week! I did mine in Aug and used this app (Apple link below, but also available for android). The real test is a random 60 questions from a pool of like 250. This app does the same thing so each time you take a practice test, you get a different set of questions. At the end of each test, you can see which questions you got wrong and get an explanation of why it was wrong. I took about 20 of these and was getting between 81-88% each time. I got 93 on the real test. Airspace was my biggest challenge while learning but found the real test to be a bit easier because I had the book with the maps that I could look at more closely. It was easier to see what they were asking than it was looking on my phone and trying to zoom in on and move around an area of the map. This app is $5 and well worth it. Good luck!!
I am studying now, had not heard of that app but will download - thanks for the tip!

@brett8883 @Mark.W
One more question for understanding. Attached is a sectional with Fentress airport to the SSE of Norfolk. Clearly it is marked Class E with dashed magenta line. Obviously that airspace begins at SFC.... May I assume, because it is not marked otherwise it extends to 1200' AGL?

Fentress.jpg

Good luck next week! I did mine in Aug and used this app (Apple link below, but also available for android). The real test is a random 60 questions from a pool of like 250. This app does the same thing so each time you take a practice test, you get a different set of questions. At the end of each test, you can see which questions you got wrong and get an explanation of why it was wrong. I took about 20 of these and was getting between 81-88% each time. I got 93 on the real test. Airspace was my biggest challenge while learning but found the real test to be a bit easier because I had the book with the maps that I could look at more closely. It was easier to see what they were asking than it was looking on my phone and trying to zoom in on and move around an area of the map. This app is $5 and well worth it. Good luck!!
Thanks. I have that one. I took that test first a month ago and barely squeeked by. I think I need to retake that version and will do so today as I'll have some time later this afternoon.

@brett8883 @Mark.W
One more question for understanding. Attached is a sectional with Fentress airport to the SSE of Norfolk. Clearly it is marked Class E with dashed magenta line. Obviously that airspace begins at SFC.... May I assume, because it is not marked otherwise it extends to 1200' AGL?

View attachment 113929
Class E extends up to class A at 18,000’ MSL unless there’s another airspace in the way.

In your example the class E extends from the surface to 17,999’

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
I think the weather questions are the dumbest questions on the test. We fly small, in some cases VERY small, drones. So, here's all we need to know about the weather:

1) Is it raining outside? if yes, DON'T fly. If no, go ahead and fly, unless it looks like it will rain any minute.

2) Is it really windy outside? if Yes, DON'T fly. If no, then fly, as long as it's not raining!

Reactions: dawgpilot
I think the weather questions are the dumbest questions on the test. We fly small, in some cases VERY small, drones. So, here's all we need to know about the weather:

1) Is it raining outside? if yes, DON'T fly. If no, go ahead and fly, unless it looks like it will rain any minute.

2) Is it really windy outside? if Yes, DON'T fly. If no, then fly, as long as it's not raining!

If the real test questions are anything like the practice questions I think its safe to say they were written by the FAA's Idiocracy Division. I'm gonna go off the reservation here and hope I don't get slapped by the moderators...

What we witness with things like this is what happens when government(s) take control of things. We lose all distinctions, individual circumstances and shades of gray. Government agencies often try to kill a fly with dynamite when a fly swatter would do just fine. In this case they have lumped quad copter operators and fixed-wing RC craft into the same license category. You gotta know that the folks at the FAA are all old school fixed wing dudes with a few helo dudes mixed in, many of whom have probably never flown a quad. And so these guys make up questions that are nuanced to the extent that more than one answer could be potentially correct, but will trap you, offset obnoxiously stupid-simple ones that fill in the gaps of good questions they couldn't come up with and make up for the hard ones that make no sense or have no purpose. One would think it would be relatively easy to have quad/hex/octo copter classification separate from fixed wing. And lastly, while I will leave room to be mistaken... Is there any commercial work for a fixed wing RC plane under 55 pounds that one would have to be licensed for???? I mean... why is that stuff even on the test???? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Sorry for the rant.

Is there any commercial work for a fixed wing RC plane under 55 pounds that one would have to be licensed for?
They use fixed wing drones for survey and plant health stuff a lot because they can stay airborne a lot longer so they can cover more area efficiently.

But you your overall point it’s mostly ridiculous especially when you discover you’d don’t need any license at all to fly an ultra light manned aircraft but you need one to fly a tiny drone

Does not require license
8817386E-EB18-4C22-97E2-0AF898761ACF.jpeg

Requires license
1CA01BA0-0080-4C81-88D6-0D3AA614D06B.jpeg

It’s corruption. The FAA is the most corrupt agency of our government by far. These good old boys have friends in the aircraft industry that buy them whatever they want, take them on trips, put their kids through college and then they do whatever their friends want them to do with regulations.

I’ve said for a long time DJI needs to stop playing nice with the FAA and start paying them like everybody else to get the regulations to relaxed.

Look at Boeing and this whole 737 max business. Boeing convinced the FAA that they would “hire people on the FAA’s behalf” to certify the planes and that totally wouldn’t be the same thing as Boeing having no government oversight ?. How many free planes dinners and college educations do you think it took to get them at deal?

Nice!!! Reasonably priced to boot ! (saw some that were 50 bucks....for something you can get a clunky FAA non-interative study guide for, for free. For 5 bucks....it's a smoking deal.

They use fixed wing drones for survey and plant health stuff a lot because they can stay airborne a lot longer so they can cover more area efficiently.

But you your overall point it’s mostly ridiculous especially when you discover you’d don’t need any license at all to fly an ultra light manned aircraft but you need one to fly a tiny drone

Does not require license
View attachment 113998

Requires license
View attachment 114000

It’s corruption. The FAA is the most corrupt agency of our government by far. These good old boys have friends in the aircraft industry that buy them whatever they want, take them on trips, put their kids through college and then they do whatever their friends want them to do with regulations.

I’ve said for a long time DJI needs to stop playing nice with the FAA and start paying them like everybody else to get the regulations to relaxed.

Look at Boeing and this whole 737 max business. Boeing convinced the FAA that they would “hire people on the FAA’s behalf” to certify the planes and that totally wouldn’t be the same thing as Boeing having no government oversight ?. How many free planes dinners and college educations do you think it took to get them at deal?
If you have proof of any of the *crimes* you’re accusing the FAA staff of committing, you should make them available to authorities. Otherwise it sounds like another conspiracy theory rant with no evidence.,

If you have proof of any of the *crimes* you’re accusing the FAA staff of committing, you should make them available to authorities. Otherwise it sounds like another conspiracy theory rant with no evidence.,
Sure. Here’s the Official US House of Representatives report on the 737 Max crashes that specifically cites the influence of the Boeing on the FAA’s oversight structure and how Boeing was able to get the FAA to ignore their own technical staffs concerns to help Boeing’s bottom line.

5) Boeing’s Influence Over the FAA’s Oversight Structure. Multiple career FAA officials have documented examples where FAA management overruled a determination of the FAA’s own technical experts at the behest of Boeing. In these cases, FAA technical and safety experts determined that certain Boeing design approaches on its transport category aircraft were potentially unsafe and failed to comply with FAA regulations, only to have FAA management overrule them and side with Boeing instead.70 These incidents have had a detrimental impact on the morale of FAA’s technical and subject matter experts that compromises the integrity and independence of the FAA’s oversight abilities and the safety of airline passengers. A recent draft internal FAA “safety culture survey” of employees in the agency’s Aviation Safety Organization (AVS) drew similar conclusions. “Many believe that AVS senior leaders are overly concerned with achieving the business-oriented outcomes of industry stakeholders and are not held accountable for safety-related decisions,” the survey observed.71
These five recurring themes point to a troubling pattern of problem”

“The Committee has learned that to thank him for keeping to the MAX’s production schedule, Boeing gave Michael Teal, the former Chief Project Engineer on the 737 MAX program, restricted stock options after the airplane’s first flight in 2016 to show its appreciation for his work.85”

Here’s 245 pages of reading to tell you that it’s impossible to tell where the FAA ends and Boeing begins because they are basically the same entity now.

I do think people should go to jail and be charged with 3rd degree murder or at least manslaughter. They killed 346 people.

Sure. Here’s the Official US House of Representatives report on the 737 Max crashes that specifically cites the influence of the Boeing on the FAA’s oversight structure and how Boeing was able to get the FAA to ignore their own technical staffs concerns to help Boeing’s bottom line.

5) Boeing’s Influence Over the FAA’s Oversight Structure. Multiple career FAA officials have documented examples where FAA management overruled a determination of the FAA’s own technical experts at the behest of Boeing. In these cases, FAA technical and safety experts determined that certain Boeing design approaches on its transport category aircraft were potentially unsafe and failed to comply with FAA regulations, only to have FAA management overrule them and side with Boeing instead.70 These incidents have had a detrimental impact on the morale of FAA’s technical and subject matter experts that compromises the integrity and independence of the FAA’s oversight abilities and the safety of airline passengers. A recent draft internal FAA “safety culture survey” of employees in the agency’s Aviation Safety Organization (AVS) drew similar conclusions. “Many believe that AVS senior leaders are overly concerned with achieving the business-oriented outcomes of industry stakeholders and are not held accountable for safety-related decisions,” the survey observed.71
These five recurring themes point to a troubling pattern of problem”

“The Committee has learned that to thank him for keeping to the MAX’s production schedule, Boeing gave Michael Teal, the former Chief Project Engineer on the 737 MAX program, restricted stock options after the airplane’s first flight in 2016 to show its appreciation for his work.85”

Here’s 245 pages of reading to tell you that it’s impossible to tell where the FAA ends and Boeing begins because they are basically the same entity now.

I do think people should go to jail and be charged with 3rd degree murder or at least manslaughter. They killed 346 people.
There’s no question that there were screw-ups on the 737 program. But Michael Teal was a Boeing employee, so it was natural for Boeing to give him stock options for what they thought was good performance (at the time). He WAS NOT an FAA employee as you imply.

I'm sorry if I have started something that blew up out of control. I won't do that again. Can we please get back to the 107 test stuff? Thanks.

thanks. I already had the app, but it’s good you should mention it for others who need to study for the test.

I'm taking a few prep tests in advance of next Thursday's real deal. There are few questions that even knowning the answer to still have me a bit confused. I'll post them as I come across them, but here is the first:
I'm having difficulty deciphering the different air spaces within the noted area. I see we are outside of transition area but still inside of Class B air space. Can someone help me sort this out please?

View attachment 113853

Reference Area 2. Starting from the ground and going up, the classes of airspace you'll pass through are
A:Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

B: Class G to 700' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

C: Class G to 1,200' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B
I believe it's "C" Class G goes from ground to 1,200 ft then E (general purpose) and then the floor of class B is 6,500 ft

Another stupid dumb-*** question...

The best method for scanning the sky at night is to use

A: Peripheral vision

B:the center of your vision

C: binoculars

I chose B, the center of your vision but the correct answer was A: peripheral vision. On other tests the correct answer was to "scan the sky in 10° sections", but not specifying night time. WTF??? As an educator of several subjects I would like to take the question writer, hang them upside down by their ankles and have at them with a boat oar.
I hate when they use "trick" or deceptive answers because that shouldn't be a part of a finding the true answers. In real life you wouldn't try to trick yourself to determine the answer

And yet another...

If you take your initial test on March 1st, 2019, you must take your recurrent test by
Choose only ONE best answer.

A: March 1st, 2021

B: March 1st, 2020

C: March 31st, 2021- Correct answer???

I got this wrong and said "A". I could be wrong but March 31st 2021 is 25 months - with reccuring knowledge tests required every 24 months! What did I not understand???
It's the END of the month of the 24 month period

I'm taking a few prep tests in advance of next Thursday's real deal. There are few questions that even knowning the answer to still have me a bit confused. I'll post them as I come across them, but here is the first:
I'm having difficulty deciphering the different air spaces within the noted area. I see we are outside of transition area but still inside of Class B air space. Can someone help me sort this out please?

View attachment 113853

Reference Area 2. Starting from the ground and going up, the classes of airspace you'll pass through are
A:Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

B: Class G to 700' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

C: Class G to 1,200' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B
Looks like C to me. Take a look at the map legend. The first thing I see is the blue radials and arcs around (2). The blue 100/65 indicates that the top and bottom of the class bravo* airspace is 10kft and 6.5kft MSL respectively for that enclosed area. The wide magenta line to the west of (2) is shaded to the west that indicates that the class echo* airspace starts at 1,200 feet AGL in this space and 700 feet AGL to the west of the lake towards Henderson.
* The Important alphabet airspaces that make it to the surface should be committed to memory for drone piloting:
A - Positive Control Airspace, all airspace over the US between 18 kft and 60 kft "pressure altitude". Not our concern.
B - Terminal Traffic Area, around large airports, looks like an upside-down wedding cake, designated by blue lines and numbers that look like improper fractions as above.
C - Airport Radar Service Area, similar to bravo, smaller, designated by magenta lines and numbers.
D - Airport Traffic Area, five nautical mile circle around airports with towers, surface to 2,500 feet designated with dashed blue line around the airport. Only active when tower is open.
E - Controlled Airspace, anywhere else where Instrument Flight Rule services are available.
F - European thing, not used in US.
G - Uncontrolled Airspace, below 1,200 ft AGL except 700 ft AGL within the shaded magenta wide lines and other airspaces that extend to the ground.

When looking at VFR aviation charts, blue features are the most concerning (class B, prohibited areas, class D). The magenta features tend to be less so (class E floors) with the exception for drone pilots being the magenta class C lines.

Hope this helps, there are a lot of material for pilots covering this stuff online.

Ok... I hadn't come across that in any of my test preps. Thanks for the info. At least now I'm aware of the nuance.
Not a nuance at all. General aviation knowledge about human factors. I’d question the quality of your material/software/online test preparation course if that wasn’t included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31