Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some help with Part 107 test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm taking a few prep tests in advance of next Thursday's real deal. There are few questions that even knowning the answer to still have me a bit confused. I'll post them as I come across them, but here is the first:
I'm having difficulty deciphering the different air spaces within the noted area. I see we are outside of transition area but still inside of Class B air space. Can someone help me sort this out please?

confusing_airspace.jpg

Reference Area 2. Starting from the ground and going up, the classes of airspace you'll pass through are
A:Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

B: Class G to 700' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

C: Class G to 1,200' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

Another stupid dumb-*** question...

The best method for scanning the sky at night is to use

A: Peripheral vision

B:the center of your vision

C: binoculars

I chose B, the center of your vision but the correct answer was A: peripheral vision. On other tests the correct answer was to "scan the sky in 10° sections", but not specifying night time. WTF??? As an educator of several subjects I would like to take the question writer, hang them upside down by their ankles and have at them with a boat oar.

And yet another...

If you take your initial test on March 1st, 2019, you must take your recurrent test by
Choose only ONE best answer.

A: March 1st, 2021

B: March 1st, 2020

C: March 31st, 2021- Correct answer???

I got this wrong and said "A". I could be wrong but March 31st 2021 is 25 months - with reccuring knowledge tests required every 24 months! What did I not understand???

I chose B, the center of your vision but the correct answer was A: peripheral vision. On other tests the correct answer was to "scan the sky in 10° sections", but not specifying night time. WTF??? As an educator of several subjects I would like to take the question writer, hang them upside down by their ankles and have at them with a boat oar.
I don’t remember anything specific about scanning the sky at night (part 107 pilots can’t fly at night without a waiver) so it would be the center of your vision.

Where are you getting these questions?

You can’t see faint items at night when looking directly at them because the image falls on the retina in an area devoid of sensors because of where the optic nerve is. So you have to look slightly away from what you’re trying to see, so the answer is peripheral vision. But not like you usually think of peripheral vision at the extreme of how far you can see “sideways” when looking ahead. The 10 degree answer is just about how to generally scan the sky.

Last edited:
I'm taking a few prep tests in advance of next Thursday's real deal. There are few questions that even knowning the answer to still have me a bit confused. I'll post them as I come across them, but here is the first:
I'm having difficulty deciphering the different air spaces within the noted area. I see we are outside of transition area but still inside of Class B air space. Can someone help me sort this out please?

View attachment 113853

Reference Area 2. Starting from the ground and going up, the classes of airspace you'll pass through are
A:Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

B: Class G to 700' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B

C: Class G to 1,200' AGL then Class E, Class E to 6,500' MSL then Class B
There’s no airport with Class E (no magenta shading) so the class E will start at 1200 feet, and go up to the Class B airspace at 6500. Below the Class E is Class G, from the ground up to 1200, so answer C is correct (I think).

Reactions: Tony McDrone
And yet another...

If you take your initial test on March 1st, 2019, you must take your recurrent test by
Choose only ONE best answer.

A: March 1st, 2021

B: March 1st, 2020

C: March 31st, 2021- Correct answer???

I got this wrong and said "A". I could be wrong but March 31st 2021 is 25 months - with reccuring knowledge tests required every 24 months! What did I not understand???
Rule says you are “current” until the end of the 24th month after your exam, which means March 31. Some people will schedule their exam (or flight review) on April 1, so that they are current through April 30 two years later, and therefore get an extra month every two years if they always do it this way.There‘s no penalty for letting your currency expire, except that when you’re not current you can’t fly. But your license doesn’t expire, and you get flying rights again as soon as you become current (in this case, by taking the test and passing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony McDrone
You can’t see faint items at night when looking directly at them because the image falls on the retina in an area devoid of sensors because of where the optic nerve is. So you have to look slightly away from what you’re trying to see, so the answer is peripheral vision. But not like you usually think of peripheral vision at the extreme of how far you can see “sideways” when looking ahead. The 10 degree answer is just about how to generally scan the sky.

Ok... I hadn't come across that in any of my test preps. Thanks for the info. At least now I'm aware of the nuance.

I'm still confused about the KLAS sectional. Wouldn't Class G space be up until the floor of the Class B space @ 6500MSL??? Here's the current chart from Sky Vector. I guess my biggest question is how high does Class G space go in this configuration? 1200 AGL or 700AGL before Class E begins???
KLAS sectional.JPG
Airspace_2.JPG

Last edited:
I'm still confused about the KLAS sectional. Wouldn't Class G space be up until the floor of the Class B space @ 6500MSL??? Here's the current chart from Sky Vector. I guess my biggest question is how high does Class G space go in this configuration? 1200 AGL or 700AGL before Class E begins???
View attachment 113861
View attachment 113862
700 AGL within the magenta outlined area. But Class B supersedes that where it begins at the surface. I think that airspace diagram is very confusing with the notches in the Class G airspace that don’t seem to line up with anything.

700 AGL within the magenta outlined area. But Class B supersedes that where it begins at the surface. I think that airspace diagram is very confusing with the notches in the Class G airspace that don’t seem to line up with anything.

So let's break this down. It appears (at least to me) that Class B resumes at 6500'MSL, no? If that's the case, then is Class G to 700' or 1200' AGL, with E in between?

So if I wanted a better understanding, under what circumstances, would Class G exist to 700' and which would continue to 1200'?

View attachment 113861
View attachment 113862
If not marked otherwise and no other airspace superseding then class E starts at 1200 AGL everywhere which is what is happening here. Faded magenta line would denote it starts at 700 AGL and dashed magenta line would mean it starts at the surface.

Think of the “E” in class E as standing for “Everywhere”

If not marked otherwise and no other airspace superseding then class E starts at 1200 AGL everywhere which is what is happening here. Faded magenta line would denote it starts at 700 AGL and dashed magenta line would mean it starts at the surface.

Think of the “E” in class E as standing for “Everywhere”
So then, your answer to the original question would be answer C: "Class G to 1200' AGL then Class E to 6500 MSL?

That’s correct

Thanks... In spite of some confusing questions I got an 82% on this pre-test go-round. 11 wrong out of 60. Not big enough margin for error. I've got til Thursday to clean it up. Weather related stuff seems to be my biggest weakness. Advection. Stable air vs unstable air and the resulting conditions. Still not under my belt yet. The fixed wing questions are still a little iffy too. I do feel pretty good about the sectionals for the most part and have the rules down pretty solid. I just want to pass this damned thing already.

Thanks... In spite of some confusing questions I got an 82% on this pre-test go-round. 11 wrong out of 60. Not big enough margin for error. I've got til Thursday to clean it up. Weather related stuff seems to be my biggest weakness. Advection. Stable air vs unstable air and the resulting conditions. Still not under my belt yet. The fixed wing questions are still a little iffy too. I do feel pretty good about the sectionals for the most part and have the rules down pretty solid. I just want to pass this damned thing already.
There’s only a couple questions about weather and only one about fixed wing so just make sure you have the sectionals down pat and you are good. Most of the weather stuff has to do with reading the weather report so if you are gonna study anything weather related study that.

Don’t bother with fixed wing.

82% is plenty margin of error you’ll do fine.

No matter how well you repair they like to stick in a couple of questions that defy simple explanation or are arguable. I managed a 95% but would readily argue about the two that I missed.

Rule says you are “current” until the end of the 24th month after your exam, which means March 31. Some people will schedule their exam (or flight review) on April 1, so that they are current through April 30 two years later, and therefore get an extra month every two years if they always do it this way.There‘s no penalty for letting your currency expire, except that when you’re not current you can’t fly. But your license doesn’t expire, and you get flying rights again as soon as you become current (in this case, by taking the test and passing).
Correct, my initial was May 18, 2018, which meant I was good up to and including May 31, 2020. I took and passed the recurrent exam on June 2, 2020 which means I could fly only recreational, not as 107, on June 1, 2020.

Good luck next week! I did mine in Aug and used this app (Apple link below, but also available for android). The real test is a random 60 questions from a pool of like 250. This app does the same thing so each time you take a practice test, you get a different set of questions. At the end of each test, you can see which questions you got wrong and get an explanation of why it was wrong. I took about 20 of these and was getting between 81-88% each time. I got 93 on the real test. Airspace was my biggest challenge while learning but found the real test to be a bit easier because I had the book with the maps that I could look at more closely. It was easier to see what they were asking than it was looking on my phone and trying to zoom in on and move around an area of the map. This app is $5 and well worth it. Good luck!!

This has to do with rods and cones in your eye. Your peripheral vision is better at night vision (rods) but is not so good for color vision. The cones near the center of your eye are color and detail oriented but not so good at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky