DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEED VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE SUGGESTIONS

Joe Herrera

Reactions
Site
www.engagingfilm.com
After buying my drone back in May, I didn't think my editing software would be at issue until my iMac permanently crashed a month ago and will not fully boot up again. I had FCP 7 on it and now I don't have that access. I loaded Davinci Resolve 17 on my MacBook Pro, but it doesn't have the feature to unlink the audio from the video. I know Adobe Premiere can do that, but I'm trying to avoid having to start that subscription until I get my pilots certification and start getting paying jobs. I have the Mojave OS on the MacBook Pro (I know I should update it). I've also recently bought a new iPad Pro and wouldn't mind editing on that.

After all this information, anyone have any suggestions please?

Reactions: AusTrekie
After buying my drone back in May, I didn't think my editing software would be at issue until my iMac permanently crashed a month ago and will not fully boot up again. I had FCP 7 on it and now I don't have that access. I loaded Davinci Resolve 17 on my MacBook Pro, but it doesn't have the feature to unlink the audio from the video. I know Adobe Premiere can do that, but I'm trying to avoid having to start that subscription until I get my pilots certification and start getting paying jobs. I have the Mojave OS on the MacBook Pro (I know I should update it). I've also recently bought a new iPad Pro and wouldn't mind editing on that.

Why do you want to unlink the audio from the video? Yes, if you want to edit the audio you'd maybe want to unlink it depending upon what you want to do. But if all you want to do is replace it, just adjust the audio volume way down (like -100db as I do in VSDC Editor) so it can't be heard and then add whatever audio you want.

As the video shows, it’s a simple matter in resolve to right click and click unlink on the pop-up menu (I just did this tonight with a bunch of videos I was editing). And both Resolve and Premiere Pro are vastly better than FCPX. I have pretty extensive experience with all 3 and FCPX just doesn’t really compare. For general editing, the other two are pretty comparable with one another.

How do you have audio on your drone video files when there is no sound recorded at source? My Air 2 is only recording visual data. I use Davinci Resolve 17 Studio and any coupled audio track(s) that I add are all separated on the timeline, running parallel to any selected video tracks. They have independent controls.

Just seen: Resolved!

Last edited:
Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 is a complete standalone product, NO subscription required.

When I right click on the video on the timeline, I don’t get the unlink option.
Shotcut will do it!
Very simple and basic editor
I use it all the time to replace the sound track (MOST drones and all of mine have no sound mic)
That is why most drone videos have music
HTH

When I right click on the video on the timeline, I don’t get the unlink option.
You may need to switch over to the “Edit” page if you are using the “Cut” page. I’ll check when I’m back at my computer later. I believe it was at the very bottom of the pop-up menu.

Why do you want to unlink the audio from the video? Yes, if you want to edit the audio you'd maybe want to unlink it depending upon what you want to do. But if all you want to do is replace it, just adjust the audio volume way down (like -100db as I do in VSDC Editor) so it can't be heard and then add whatever audio you want.
Several days ago I was filming (video with Osmo Pocket) and scene for my new upcoming video. I was at a tropical garden with a beautiful fountain and lagoon. his is one of the most photographed sites in the park and thus tons of little children pose for their parents, and the parents do tons of selfies. There is CONSTANT chatter, babble, etc. Of Course I want to just use the video and not the auto. So I only drag the video into the timeline, and pull some waterfall sound effects off of the web. The ability to separate video from sound is critical for my work. Software that doesn't;t allow this would never be a consideration for me.

Secondly, you can purchase Adobe Premiere Pro (annual) paid on on a monthly basis of $20.99. The first month is free.

Dale
MiamiScreen Shot 2021-07-15 at 10.26.46 AM.png

Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 is a complete standalone product, NO subscription required.

I didn't know about PE. Just checked the system requirements and my MacBook may accept it. Thanks for the tip!

I owned Premiere Elements. The full program has much more.
I agree, but for basic-to-mid-level editing Elements does a great job. Frankly, more than most people need for basic fun drone videos. But Resolve is free (but somewhat harder to use, at least at first), and Premiere Pro is much better than Elements and not THAT expensive (worth the price, IMO). I’m the dumb guy who paid for Resolve Studio and also has a Premiere Pro subscription.

I agree, but for basic-to-mid-level editing Elements does a great job. Frankly, more than most people need for basic fun drone videos. But Resolve is free (but somewhat harder to use, at least at first), and Premiere Pro is much better than Elements and not THAT expensive (worth the price, IMO). I’m the dumb guy who paid for Resolve Studio and also has a Premiere Pro subscription.
If you call Adobe and ask for a promotion the chances are good they will give it to you. I have had mine renewed just now.

Yes. I’ve had the entire CC for about $30/m for more than 3 years now. I just have to call and ask for it every year. I want the photo package and need Acrobat Pro (both for basic PDF use and the signature function) for my company, so it’s basically a wash (and a tax write-off since I use the photo package for some of my advertising).
I'm actually afraid this information will get out to Adobe. and they will stop the promos and cut us off!

I'm actually afraid this information will get out to Adobe. and they will stop the promos and cut us off!
True. I’ll delete my message. But really, I doubt they would. They have a cash cow and are riding the edge of keeping folks happy (lots of folks talking about jumping ship, but there’s really no legit competitor to Lr or Ps). At $60/m I’m done. I can afford it but don’t need it. Everything I need is $30/m anyway (photo package and Acrobat), but it’s nice to have the other software to play with. I can’t say I’ve used or updated any of the other products in the past year, so it’s not like I’m using any resources. Well, my 5 year old does like playing with Adobe Fresco on my iPad.

Last edited:
Several days ago I was filming (video with Osmo Pocket) and scene for my new upcoming video. I was at a tropical garden with a beautiful fountain and lagoon. his is one of the most photographed sites in the park and thus tons of little children pose for their parents, and the parents do tons of selfies. There is CONSTANT chatter, babble, etc. Of Course I want to just use the video and not the auto. So I only drag the video into the timeline, and pull some waterfall sound effects off of the web. The ability to separate video from sound is critical for my work. Software that doesn't;t allow this would never be a consideration for me.

Secondly, you can purchase Adobe Premiere Pro (annual) paid on on a monthly basis of $20.99. The first month is free.

Dale
MiamiView attachment 131932

That doesn't answer my question. Adobe Premier Pro may have all sorts of advantages, but I don't understand why the OP (or you, for that matter) couldn't just crank down the volume on the embedded audio until it couldn't be heard.

That doesn't answer my question. Adobe Premier Pro may have all sorts of advantages, but I don't understand why the OP (or you, for that matter) couldn't just crank down the volume on the embedded audio until it couldn't be heard
Because that's a dumb way to deal with an easy edit issue. Sure, you can lower the level on whatever clip you want, but if you want to delete all audio there are plenty of options. Dale D. pointed out he did some shots at ground level and needed to get the audio out. I've had the same situation. Its easier to just cut the audio track. Any editor can do this easily. Dale D. likes Premere, I like Resolve. We're both right. Just pick one.

Because that's a dumb way to deal with an easy edit issue. Sure, you can lower the level on whatever clip you want, but if you want to delete all audio there are plenty of options. Dale D. pointed out he did some shots at ground level and needed to get the audio out. I've had the same situation. Its easier to just cut the audio track. Any editor can do this easily. Dale D. likes Premere, I like Resolve. We're both right. Just pick one.

It's an easy way to deal with an easy edit issue, and any editor can do that as well. You act like there's a best way (yours) to do it ... which isn't true.

As my mac crashed, I had no problem setting the systemup on a new one, using the last backup. Within a few hours I had a new book and it was on the software-level I had before the crash. No need for new software.
Did you use the "migrationassisten" Apple has standard installed?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent