DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbors unhappy with Drone overhead

GregS

Reactions
I wanted to reply to a person flying their Mavic Mini in their neighborhood and a guy a few houses down came huffing and puffing up to him and yelling that he was spying on him in his backyard, from 150 feet. He also said he wanted to see who was flying the drone before he "took it down".
There were many responses, but one I did not see is to pull up Google Earth on your phone, and show those people anyone in the world can see them if they happen to be in the backyard at that time....just like if they happen to be in their backyard at the time the drone flies over. If that doesn't calm them down, then let them call the Police and you can educate both as to the FAA laws.

I wanted to reply to a person flying their Mavic Mini in their neighborhood and a guy a few houses down came huffing and puffing up to him and yelling that he was spying on him in his backyard, from 150 feet. He also said he wanted to see who was flying the drone before he "took it down".
There were many responses, but one I did not see is to pull up Google Earth on your phone, and show those people anyone in the world can see them if they happen to be in the backyard at that time....just like if they happen to be in their backyard at the time the drone flies over. If that doesn't calm them down, then let them call the Police and you can educate both as to the FAA laws.
Crikey, you live in a place called Normal? What a cool name! ?

Been off the forum for a few or I would have suggested it. I have a neighbor like that, and claiming my mini caused TV interference too. He did call police. Lucky too I know the officer (Chaplain for the police force here)Educated both of them on FAA rules and since I'm also a HAM radio operator on FCC rules. As a Chaplain and a drone pilot I enjoy spreading the word (chaplain humor there)

I had the same issue a few months ago the neighbor came out dropping the f bom saying i was flying over her back yard by the time i got to the front of the house she ran back inside so i didn't get to show her that i was no wares near her yard i was over the top of my house messing with the Gimble setting so to keep the peace i don't fly in my yard

Been off the forum for a few or I would have suggested it. I have a neighbor like that, and claiming my mini caused TV interference too. He did call police. Lucky too I know the officer (Chaplain for the police force here)Educated both of them on FAA rules and since I'm also a HAM radio operator on FCC rules. As a Chaplain and a drone pilot I enjoy spreading the word (chaplain humor there)
Love Chaplain humor! I was flying in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago...

WebTimberline26.jpg

I had the same issue a few months ago the neighbor came out dropping the f bom saying i was flying over her back yard by the time i got to the front of the house she ran back inside so i didn't get to show her that i was no wares near her yard i was over the top of my house messing with the Gimble setting so to keep the peace i don't fly in my yard
Remember: You can’t fix stupid! I have a good friend who went on a rant the minute I said I had a drone. Less than 2 weeks later he asked me to inspect his roof. He was thrilled with the photos and video. And he has asked me to come back and check another area of his roof. I do it for fun and experience. All the 107 police can relax. This is purely as a favor. Perhaps you might find a chance to chat with her away from the drone itself and offer to check her roof and gutters. Like my friend, once he saw what could be done he was fascinated.

Remember: You can’t fix stupid! I have a good friend who went on a rant the minute I said I had a drone. Less than 2 weeks later he asked me to inspect his roof. He was thrilled with the photos and video. And he has asked me to come back and check another area of his roof. I do it for fun and experience. All the 107 police can relax. This is purely as a favor. Perhaps you might find a chance to chat with her away from the drone itself and offer to check her roof and gutters. Like my friend, once he saw what could be done he was fascinated.
Good idea!
Just remember 107 rules.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I think the name is being changed to NewNormal

We get teased a lot about where we live. It's taken from the University here. It's the oldest college in the state of Illinois. Started out as a teachers college. It was called; Illinois State Normal Teachers College. So they kept the "Normal" name. It is now Illinois State University.
And no, the name will not change. :)

What’s the go-to line to say to diffuse a situation like this? Oregon is a “leave me
Alone” not quite libertarian environment so anything useful would be nice to have on hand.

I live in a 55 and over community, and do respect my neighbors rights. All of my neighbors are old and cranky, I offer my services in the neighborhood. By using my drone from about 300 feet up, I can see the entire area, and let folks know about what I am doing.Watching the hood from the air. And, not necessary to fly over each house.I can see the whole area from my back yard from 300 feet up. I let people know that I am a certified drone pilot, and offer my help. Its, nice to show the LOVE which is so lacking in most people. A famous writer wrote "Don't let others spoil your faith and joy with their philosophies, their wrong and shallow answers built on men's thoughts and ideas." I try to apply the Golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I like all the different examples of being a good neighbour, where a little guy lost his toy. And, the drone pilot offered his services to find it. When he finally found it 10 houses down, and letting all the neighbours know what he was doing. And, the time of day he was flying over peoples houses to help find the toy. Another situation, where a pilots drone crashed in his neighbors tree. When the drone finally fell out of the tree the neighbor found it and brought it to the pilot. And, because of his understanding and kindness the pilot sent him a gift card for dinner at Longhorns and, a nice 20x20 aerial photo of his house. Those examples are what I am talking about, being a good neighbor. That thinking is from my generation.

I live in a 55 and over community, and do respect my neighbors rights. All of my neighbors are old and cranky, I offer my services in the neighborhood. By using my drone from about 300 feet up, I can see the entire area, and let folks know about what I am doing.Watching the hood from the air. And, not necessary to fly over each house.I can see the whole area from my back yard from 300 feet up. I let people know that I am a certified drone pilot, and offer my help. Its, nice to show the LOVE which is so lacking in most people. A famous writer wrote "Don't let others spoil your faith and joy with their philosophies, their wrong and shallow answers built on men's thoughts and ideas." I try to apply the Golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I like all the different examples of being a good neighbour, where a little guy lost his toy. And, the drone pilot offered his services to find it. When he finally found it 10 houses down, and letting all the neighbours know what he was doing. And, the time of day he was flying over peoples houses to help find the toy. Another situation, where a pilots drone crashed in his neighbors tree. When the drone finally fell out of the tree the neighbor found it and brought it to the pilot. And, because of his understanding and kindness the pilot sent him a gift card for dinner at Longhorns and, a nice 20x20 aerial photo of his house. Those examples are what I am talking about, being a good neighbor. That thinking is from my generation.
Although in india drones are fairly expensive so uncommon. Most neighbours get fancy about it. Even in my park in delhi I get a lot of attention when people see the beauty in the air. Most don't even know there is a camera inside it that can give live images. Privacy is still not a great concern here.

If you have checked with your city, the law enforcement with jurisdiction, scoured the municipal codes for drone provisions and if you are in an Home Owners Association reviewed the bylaws then just ignore the person and do your thing. Here is the link to the State prohibiting airspace regulations to any entity other than State Illinois Drone Laws.

Reports to the police, even for legal activity, in my opinion do not help drone fliers as a whole as they create a paper trail that can be used in counter argument to drones being annoying and such. But in this case I would let them call if you are certain you are in the right. It would permanently resolve the problem.

I would not take the know it all legal eagle route with your neighbor or the police. Neither will appreciate it and if you are wrong in anyway it can be a difficult hurdle to overcome. There a too many nuances surround drone and UAV laws and different interpretation. Trying to "educate" others comes off as being a jerk in almost every situation where the people are not seeking additional knowledge.

If I were in the situation and the person called the police I would certainly mention the threat to shoot down your drone and the serious nature of a threat like that.

Reactions: SpitFire
If the shoe were on the other foot I wonder.
I love my MA2 but I wouldn't dream of flying it anywhere near my house & neighborhood.
How miffed would you be if someone was flying over or near your home with a drone ?
Maybe next time do the responsible thing and test your gimbal a half mile down the road in some field or park . Not worth upsetting your neighbors , you'll have to live and pass by these people everyday,

Reactions: Oakley75
If the shoe were on the other foot I wonder.
I love my MA2 but I wouldn't dream of flying it anywhere near my house & neighborhood.
How miffed would you be if someone was flying over or near your home with a drone ?
Maybe next time do the responsible thing and test your gimbal a half mile down the road in some field or park . Not worth upsetting your neighbors , you'll have to live and pass by these people everyday,

If we quit flying everywhere someone complains, we'd start losing too many places to fly.

We don't need to cave in to the Karens of the world.

I have been approached in the past while flying RC helis, planes, quads and DJI drones. More often than not, people are just curious. I usually end up talking about the hobby and try to give demos or let them see the live view. So I don't rattle off rules or try to come across as defending myself.
If someone came up to me in a hostile manner, threating me and saying they are going to call the police, I think I would ask them to please do that as I don't feel safe around you! ;)

If we quit flying everywhere someone complains, we'd start losing too many places to fly.

We don't need to cave in to the Karens of the world.
I agree. Each situation is most likely different and there is no one way to solve these types of encounters. Common sense needs to be used. I do think trying at first trying to deescalate the encounter is wise BUT I would never forfeit my rights for someones lack of knowledge. Aircraft, helicopters, satellites, para-gliders, hot air balloons also utilize the airspace. My plan is to always stand up for my rights, respectfully. Most people who are so bold to make physical threats have not encountered the wrong/right person yet.

Reactions: SpitFire
After reading this I once again am so glad I live out in the middle of nowhere!!

It's a narrow line we have to walk sometimes.

My attitude is that the rights we fail to exercise are the rights we lose so if I'm legally allowed to fly there and I have a need / desire to fly there then I'll be flying there regardless of the likes dislikes or behaviour of anyone else. I may not be as young as I was but being special projects retired I can handle myself if push came to shove. Others may find that in the face of someone who is violently out of sorts retreat and calling the authorities may be the better path but (in my opinion) should still stand up for their rights by calling said authorities.

That all said, I find that avoiding the situation is preferable. There is actually footage on YouTube of me being approached by a couple during a flight and them expressing privacy concerns and me in response inviting them to look over my shoulder and watch the display as I brought the aircraft closer and closer. I said to them "tell me at what point you'd be concerned about your privacy being violated or you could identify yourself". Of course by the time they spoke up the drone was so close that it was very loud. They were very surprised and realised that effective stealth spying by drone is more a product of the media than reality and went on their way happily.

Likewise here at home, I live one street away from a large bushland nature reserve which we are allowed to fly over in my state and where I do a lot of testing. When I first certified as a commercial RePL (our Part 107 equiv) I door knocked all my neighbours for about 100m in every direction, explained who and what I was, showed them my paperwork and explained that they could expect me to be flying in and out of the property on a semi regular basis. I have an arrangement with the one house between my home and the bush that outside of work hours when they might be home I'll call and they go under cover. This satisfies the regulator here. Everything has been sweetness and light for three years. I get the occasional request to check a roof or look over the bushland for a lost dog which I always oblige with a smile. It's a cheap investment in relations.

Also, I never underestimate the persuasive force of giving someone a go. I keep a spark in inventory mostly for this purpose now days but we all know that there's little risk in popping the aircraft up a couple of hundred feet and handing over the controller under you instruction. People are generally only afraid of what they don't understand and a little familiarisation works wonders. There are three sets of grey nomads currently touring the country with a drone to send pictures back to the kids who first came into contact with drones by approaching me with questions. One in particular well on the border of hostility.

Like it or not we're all ambassadors for droning.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02Au worth.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: jaswalt and Gagey52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000