DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nervous Neighbor

Yah admit to it & apologize, then invite him to come over and fly with you... and he’ll realize how **** fun it is, and will want one of his own!!

Sorry to hear about your problem. I grew up in Buda and spent days in Onion Creek when it ran clear and deep year-round, when Manchaca and Dripping Springs were like 2 little stores in the woods, and we had family reunions at Camp Ben McCullough... times change. Last time I was there, about 4 years ago we drove the FM out of Austin to Buda and I was stunned as retail/ residential development had resulted in a crowded pretty urban appearance to the entirety of the same route.

With crowding people get more sensitive to “their space”. I’d suggest approaching your neighbor in a friendly fashion, show him your pics as well as offer to let him see what is really visible. Use the altitude you describe and let him see than he can’t hear your bird at 390’, maybe not even see it.

Failing that, follow the law. The article you reference is a little old. Here’s bit better reference;
And the whole site if you want:

If you follow these, and your neighbor is still upset, you’ll have to decide whether neighborhood peace is more important than enjoying your hobby legally.

Reactions: Bigbird48
If it were me I would tell him to ****off, he is in controlled airspace by th FAA

Last edited by a moderator:
You might volunteer to do a roof inspection for him... or volunteer to check his gutters with his permission to see if they need cleaning... something simple that could be useful to him and of course, give him assurances you aren't interested in 'spying'

In Australia our laws state that you cant fly within 30 m over houses etc where people may be.

I agree with that

Almost everything we do is governed by some set of rules. Laws are supposed to reflect the views of the public and are changed on a regular basis.

Ie acceptable behaviour.

If we all continue to piss off the general public, then the regulator gets more complaints and they have an obligation to act. Then the law will simply be tightened

Its not rocket science.

You might volunteer to do a roof inspection for him... or volunteer to check his gutters with his permission to see if they need cleaning... something simple that could be useful to him and of course, give him assurances you aren't interested in 'spying'
why volunteer to do anything for him. He stuck his nose were it didn't belong, made a law abiding citizen do a perfectly legal act feel uncomfortable. ****** them, they should come apologize to him.
What going on in this world were people think we should bow down to idiots that can't mind there own bussiness

Reactions: Smalls and BD0G
I have a M2Z, live in Austin Tx. in a residential area (South). I have been taking my Mavic up to 390' to get pictures and video of the sunset at the end of the day a few times a week for a couple of months now. Sometimes while I'm waiting for the sun/clouds to get right I'll fly around up high and maintain VLOS and grap a few pics of the city buildings 5 miles away or my house below and no one has complained. Then yesterday when I brought it down I made the mistake of making a wide circle over my house above the trees which was over a neighbors yard. I should have known better as this morning on the Nextdoor app there was this: "Whoever keeps flying their drone over the neighborhood, please stop. It’s actually against the law to fly a drone where it violates other people’s privacy". The way I understand the law is that it is illegal if I was flying over a property to spy or for surveillance which I do not do. I'm thinking that if I just fly it straight up (over my property 300-390') grab my sunset shots and bring straight down and put it up that would be perfectly legal. I'll have to do my learning/play somewhere else unfortunately and I'm sure the neighbor just wants to never see or hear it again. Since I haven't gotten any other feedback from neighbors I might just go to the one that posted the complaint and tell them what I'm wanting to do. I'm sure someone has run into this before, if so how did you handle it? Just looking on the web I found this: I can’t fly my drone anywhere in Texas? - Randle Law Office | (281) 657-2000

Thanks,
Mark

I read the link you posted. This Texas law is NOT about flying your drone, per se. The applicable part for your situation is using the drone to take photos or video of private property. As you say, the Texas law covers SURVEILLANCE situations.

The Federal government (FAA) controls airspace from the ground up, even over private property. As long as you aren't breaking any FAA rules/regulations then you CAN fly over private property. What the Texas law limits you from doing is shooting video or photos of said private property.

If you keep your drone's camera pointed at the horizon and aren't capturing any activity on private property, then technically you aren't violating the Texas law. If the FAA says you can fly your drone there then tough beans for your cranky neighbor. If you don't point your camera at your neighbor's property you can fly 50 feet above his property and he can't do squat.

I wouldn't take that Randle Law Office summary as gospel. More research is necessary to better understand this Texas law.

If it was me, I'd put my drone up in the air above my house (300' or more) and then show my neighbor how any person standing on his property looks like an ant from that altitude.

Mark

I have a M2Z, live in Austin Tx. in a residential area (South). I have been taking my Mavic up to 390' to get pictures and video of the sunset at the end of the day a few times a week for a couple of months now. Sometimes while I'm waiting for the sun/clouds to get right I'll fly around up high and maintain VLOS and grap a few pics of the city buildings 5 miles away or my house below and no one has complained. Then yesterday when I brought it down I made the mistake of making a wide circle over my house above the trees which was over a neighbors yard. I should have known better as this morning on the Nextdoor app there was this: "Whoever keeps flying their drone over the neighborhood, please stop. It’s actually against the law to fly a drone where it violates other people’s privacy". The way I understand the law is that it is illegal if I was flying over a property to spy or for surveillance which I do not do. I'm thinking that if I just fly it straight up (over my property 300-390') grab my sunset shots and bring straight down and put it up that would be perfectly legal. I'll have to do my learning/play somewhere else unfortunately and I'm sure the neighbor just wants to never see or hear it again. Since I haven't gotten any other feedback from neighbors I might just go to the one that posted the complaint and tell them what I'm wanting to do. I'm sure someone has run into this before, if so how did you handle it? Just looking on the web I found this: I can’t fly my drone anywhere in Texas? - Randle Law Office | (281) 657-2000

Thanks,
Mark

I live near you (north of Austin). I have several drones from the Inspire 2 down to the Mavic Air and fly just about daily in my neighborhood. Many have come and watched how I do things with interest, even a police officer that lives up the street, but none have ever complained (that I know of).

I don't have the neighborhood app and would not worry about complaints unless confronted personally. Then, as many have stated, explain that you have not broken any laws.

PS: I have the Mavic 2 Zoom as well :)

I would ignore it. I would not fly over the guy's house but I would fly. I would not approach him. If he approaches you, kill him with kindness but don't go looking for a confrontation.
I joined the Nextdoor app, some good suggestions on small engine repair etc.. But there is a person that lives 1.5 miles from the nearest gas line that every few days posts that we are all in danger from a gas leak she detects at her house. She also posts that cereal gives you cancer. There are nuts that post on it and there is no moderator that I have seen.

why volunteer to do anything for him. He stuck his nose were it didn't belong, made a law abiding citizen do a perfectly legal act feel uncomfortable. ****** them, they should come apologize to him.
What going on in this world were people think we should bow down to idiots that can't mind there own bussiness

I have a friend that says when the end of the world comes, it's easier to feed your neighbors than shoot them.

Why not attempt to make a friend of your neighbor instead of opening a can of [Language Removed]? If that doesn't work, then you can be the biggest jerk around. but why lock that in if you don't have to? Ever live next to a jerk and get non-stop hassled - you almost guarantee it.

Thanks,
Mark
I know this might be a little late but before I started to fly, I used the neighborhood app to tell everyone I have a drone, where I was going to fly and why. This went a very long way to avoid future situations. I’m now known as the the coyote chaser to keep them away from the neighborhood. Really the coyotes could care less about the drone. My announcement drew out thanks, curiosity and other dronies living around me. I suggest you make your intentions clear to all now because that one neighbor may have seeded bad karma for others in your area.. use this communication channel as a positive and responsible ambasidor of the drone community.

Coolwater , that was a awesome way to beat them to the punch. But I’m still trying to find out if using the Nextdoor app a eating cereal makes me a coo coo for coco puffs? Do you live in Austin like we do?

• Haha
Reactions: sgrinavi
Yah admit to it & apologize, then invite him to come over and fly with you... and he’ll realize how **** fun it is, and will want one of his own!!
The OP has nothing to "admit" to or to apologize for. He briefly flew his drone over the neighbor's property, above the trees, while bringing it in to land on his own property. He wasn't hovering low, taking pictures or being a nuisance.

I had my nextdoor neighbor post on nextdoor.com that someone was flying their drone over her house for "mischievous purposes". First of all, it was directly over my driveway on the other side of my house from hers. Secondly, how can you look at a drone and tell it was being "mischievous"? Geez.

This is after I let her see me fly my drone and look at my display a couple of weeks before that.

I had my nextdoor neighbor post on nextdoor.com that someone was flying their drone over her house for "mischievous purposes". First of all, it was directly over my driveway on the other side of my house from hers. Secondly, how can you look at a drone and tell it was being "mischievous"? Geez.

This is after I let her see me fly my drone and look at my display a couple of weeks before that.
Just another attention seeker. Respect her property, but FLY ON!

Reactions: outbackpaul
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2