DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nesting Eagles Near a Rural Farm Pond

My personal opinion.. I think you are way too close. I can clearly see you were stressing these Eagles out (hence why the male left his perch and kept soaring back in forth). Then you wanting to get a better shot, Knowing that they are nesting what do you do.. You fly even closer to the nest..
If you live in the United States.. You may want to read up on the Bald and Gold Eagle Protection ACT. Again.. if your in the US.. I think you may have violated Federal laws.

Have to agree with HVY on this. I think you nearly precipitated a hostile encounter with the soaring eagle which could have hurt the eagle, your AC, or both. Eagles are very territorial and likely to perceive a nearby drone as a threat, especially when you fly close to the nesting area. Don't mess with the wildlife, bro.

When you've watched the video at full resolution ... sure, it looks like I'm hovering and pestering them. But I didn't have the luxury of all that detail on my phone screen. I could tell there was a LARGE bird flying through the frame, but I certainly couldn't pick out that it was an eagle, much less a bald eagle. It could have been an African swallow, for as much as my feeble eyes were telling me. And the nest? No way. I just got lucky with how I panned. I actually can't believe how lucky I was, because it looks JUST like I'm trying to move closer and see into the nest. But let the good lord strike me where I stand, I promise that I wasn't.

It was an incredibly windy morning, and I was trying to get below the gust to return back to the home point. So when you see me drop, that had nothing to do with the eagle, the nest, or anything else aside from getting my Mavic back safely. It was only when I was able to view the video at full resolution that I saw the nest. I couldn't believe I was seeing bald eagles! I remember seeing a bird on the screen while I was flying, but fighting the wind was my only focus.

If you watch at the beginning, you can see what I'm talking about. I'm drifting side to side and making no headway at all. So I descend slightly and that allows me to move forward.

I appreciate you guys' concern and words of caution. I couldn't see the same detail that you see while I was flying, but I can see how you'd think that I was stalking the eagles. Now that I know they're there, I certainly won't be getting anywhere close again.

Reactions: dirkclod
I don't see how you've done anything wrong given your explanation. Except maybe for posting it.;)

Reactions: Muggster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada