DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Netherlands - How to register your drone?

Ildebranth

Reactions
Hi all,
it is my understanding that in the Netherlands, to fly a drone, it is not mandatory but possible to register your drone.
As a non Dutch speaker (but heavy user of google translate) I found this page:
Moet ik mijn drone registreren?

It translates around: "if you are a hobbyist, you don't have to register your drone, but you can."
How?
Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Ildebranth

Yes you read the rules correct.

Registering is really only for commercial use. It is quite a complex process and will cost a lot of money to jump through all the legal hoops. It can easily cost upwards of 2000EUR to get everything sorted for commercial flying in the Netherlands, and then you have annual fees to keep the registration as well. Americans complain a lot but about their regulations, but that is a joke compared to most/some of the EU.

In The Netherlands it involves getting licences from the ILT
(ILT = Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate, part of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management)
(in Dutch: Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport, onderdeel van het Ministerie van Infrastructuur en Waterstaat)

you need:
  • pilots licence: RPA-L (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Licence)
  • drone and ground station (remote) registration: BVI (registration in aviation register) & S-BVL (proof of airworthiness)
  • the entity (company/person) that is selling the images/video needs a certificate: ROC or ROC-light (Remotely Piloted Aircraft System Operator Certificate)

The flight school where you have to get the RPA-L also needs to have it's own licence from the ILT, and offer both theory and practical modules.
Then the organisation that does the aircraft inspection (to get the S-BVL) also needs to be recognised as such by the ILT.

details are here: Drones (RPAS)

for recreational use just stick your contact details (phone mail) on the drone and follow the rules and NFZ regs from the two links below they are comparable (but not identical) to part 336 in America.

Regels voor recreatief gebruik drone
Overzichtskaart vliegen met drones | ministerie van Infrastructuur en Milieu

Last edited:
Reactions: paulrawlingson
Thanks Laurens!
I plan to fly for fun and already familiarized myself with rules, regulations and the Kadasterkart (and got a liability insurance for good measure).

I'll not fly commercial, but I was curious on the process of registering the drone only.
Looking further I found this link: Hoe registreer ik mijn drone in het luchtvaartuigregister?.
What is your opinion on the procedure here described?

Reactions: laurens23
Thanks Laurens!
I plan to fly for fun and already familiarized myself with rules, regulations and the Kadasterkart (and got a liability insurance for good measure).

I'll not fly commercial, but I was curious on the process of registering the drone only.
Looking further I found this link: Hoe registreer ik mijn drone in het luchtvaartuigregister?.
What is your opinion on the procedure here described?

Seems accurate. That will get you the BVI and S-BVL. You also get a noise certificate as part of the S-BVL. regular GA-planes need to undergo a noise test for this, and you will pay landing fees based on noise and takeoff weight. But for drones you just get this noise certificate without any test/requirements.

Those things you can use in your ROC-L, and then someone with an RPA-L can operate the drone.

good you mention insurance. commercial insurance was not mentioned in either of those articles, but might be part of the ROC-L requirements (I'm not sure).

Last edited:
Just to be super picky: I need the RPA-L only if I want to fly commercial, otherwise I'm just doing some extra work, am I correct?

Thanks again!

Just to be super picky: I need the RPA-L only if I want to fly commercial, otherwise I'm just doing some extra work, am I correct?

Thanks again!

Yes all this is just for commercial use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (drone). For recreational use you don't need a license, or registration, just follow the rules in the two links i mentioned in my 1st post

Last edited:
Reactions: Ildebranth
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun