DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New “Can I fly there App” for AUS

Lawzy

Reactions
CASA is changing the way they provide us with information about where we can legally operate our drone in Australia. This will see the retirement of our ‘Can I fly there?’ drone safety app in the coming weeks.

Whoops, missed this, posted this just now in the Australia section.
Will be interesting all right, like the US system too where we can unlock some airspace where safe within the normal controlled airport zones.
Also a platform to introduce other tech in the future, perhaps ADS-B when it evolves to small aircraft / helis.

Your first post too, welcome to the forum.

CASA is changing the way they provide us with information about where we can legally operate our drone in Australia. This will see the retirement of our ‘Can I fly there?’ drone safety app in the coming weeks.

Thanks for that.
any news on any new rules they are bringing in? it was supposed to start 1/7/19

Mine updated yesterday and is telling me that I can't fly due to a fire up the road.
Only problem is that there is no fire and it says updated 1 January 1970?
Any ideas?

If so, the new app may be rolling out. Nothing new for me right now (an iOS app). Suggest you try to reload or drop CASA an email with feedback (mailto:[email protected])

If it doesn't change I'll have a chat to them tomorrow.
According to the email I got from them this week the new one isn't written yet.
They were asking for people to do it.
Registration is supposed to star 1/7 but I've had nothing from them about that yet.

The new RPAS digital platform is now available for all recreational and commercial drone operators to download and use.

Over the coming weeks, they will retire the Can I fly there? app. They recommend that you delete the ‘Can I fly there? app now and visit www.casa.gov.au/droneapp to select an alternative drone safety app.

Just had a look at the new App. Not impressed. Does not show boundaries of different restricted areas. No forecast.

Just clicked on the link in the original post, and that's updated with new apps.
Funny, I didn't get the expected email advice about it, ah well.

I'll check out the ok2fly and Air Mobility Platform app . . . the ok2fly is only web based at this stage, or is there an app @Simmo ?
CASA page just has a link to web based map.

Oh, and OpenSky is still there, so that's been reasonable lately I think.

Now with covid-19 they have delayed REPL and Excluded new requirements until end Sept sometime, and recreational pilots online test and registration until 2022.

Hmmm, the Air Mobility app lets you hold to drop pin, like the old CIFT . . . also has HT powerlines warning :)
Can't zoom out too far though for a look at interstate locations etc, search is there though to get somewhere fast on the map.

OK2Fly is only web based at this stage.

Had a good look last night, it does look like a great home based checking tool, I like the various airspace altitude restriction info, and it also shows HT lines in an area, though the suburbs I think that is on almost by default.
More info than the OpenSky app or website map.

Good to see a few options coming available.
I've got both OpenSky and AiRXOS Air Mobility on the phone now, will try both out when I eventually get out again.

Reactions: Simmo
Just got this from CASA

Details of assistance for excluded RPA operators during COVID-19
CASA has been closely tracking the COVID-19 pandemic and the effects it is having on business and flying operations in the RPAS sector.
On 24 March 2020, we announced our intention to take several measures to support you during this period.
For excluded operators, this means you have an additional six months before you are required to comply with the record keeping requirements.
These requirements are detailed in Chapter 10 of the Part 101 Manual of Standards (MOS).
Read the full transition guidance for excluded RPA operators.
Other updates
Mandatory commercial drone registration and accreditation has been deferred until 30 September 2020

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR