DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New 4G GPS Tracker Available - Affordable Insurance For a Lost Drone

skysthelimit

Reactions
Now available at: DT-11G Tracker

After extensive research, I have completed my testing and evaluation and I'm happy to announce the availability of the DT-11G. This is small and light-weight to easily fit on any Mavic. Similar in size and features to a Trackimo 3G but 7g lighter (and $50 less), it offers 4G connectivity and accurate GPS positioning. A 500maH battery will give you about 24 flights before recharging (it's a small battery in a small device). Available for delivery via USPS First Class Mail for US pilots only.

It uses a magnetic charging cable so no micro USB that would keep it from being IP67 waterproof (but I doubt you'd put it to the test on your Mavic). There are two tiny magnets on either side of the charging pins, but they do not affect the Compass in any major negative way. Mount on the top rear of the M2P or M2Z battery and it increases the Magnetic Interference value by about 50 over std background of 30, still well in the green. Mount in the middle of the M or MP battery just behind the button. If you receive a Magnetic Interference error and can't find a location return it for full refund but I have tested it and do not get errors if mounted in the right location.

I have created a US based Traccar Server to collect reports from the DT-11G and you use the Traccar App or my website to view map positions and issue basic commands. You can also send SMS texts to configure and control the Tracker. Very detailed instructions included that I wrote after extensive testing. No Chinese Server to send your data to and no Chinese Manual that is unreadable. Ships from and is supported in the US with a 2 year warranty. Includes a SpeedTalk SIM card (they use the T-Mobil LTE Network) and you can get a $5/mo plan that allows any combination of 250 min/text/Mb Data, more than enough for Tracker position reporting.

Feel free to ask questions or leave feedback, as I always try to make these interactions educational and informative. This Tracker has been tested and evaluated by a Part 107 Drone Pilot specifically for use by Drone Pilots (although you can use it to track pets and kids as well, so it can serve multiple roles as a Tracking device).

And please, no comments about 'no Cell Service' or how great Marco Polos are in those situations (as long as your Mavic is less than 2 miles away under ideal conditions - when in reality it could take off at full speed with a full battery and end up over 5 miles away). Not here to bash competitor's products - just need to keep thread on track discussing my solution. Start a different thread to discuss other solutions please.

Last edited:
I just sold a MA for a friend and while I had it I put the Tracker on and although a bit big it is light enough to fly with it. Plus it has a rounded profile which improves aerodynamics (not that big a deal with a drone as opposed to fixed wing) but the weight is the big thing being only 35g the MA can handle it without much additional motor stress. I guess it depends on whether you feel the cost of the MA warrants an 'insurance policy' for $88.

No cell service where I fly a lot. Also, from the user manual I gather you need a hand held GPS to track the downed drone??

SpeedTalk uses the T-Mobile LTE Network. Tracker can also use the AT&T or Verizon Network depending on SIM card used because of the Bands it supports (Tracfone uses AT&T).

"Also, from the user manual I gather you need a hand held GPS to track the downed drone??"

I have a Garmin Cx GPS with Topo Maps installed, so it just makes it easier to navigate in the woods with the Topos after I put the Tracker location in. You can also use popular Navigation Apps like Navmii, Polaris, Locus Map, etc. just enter the coordinates you get when you request a location update as a waypoint and navigate to it. I like using Polaris as it's easy to create a new Waypoint then display it on the map along with your current location - just head in the direction of the waypoint and watch the triangle (your location) close in on the pin (waypoint) until they merge and you should be on top of the tracker. If you use an iPhone it's called 'GPS & Maps'

Last edited:
I have completed testing using a SpeedTalk SIM (included free with purchase). SpeedTalk is an mnvo with T-Mobile (buys bandwidth on their network). I live in central NH in a rural wooded area with hilly terrain, so any cellular service can be spotty. The SpeedTalk SIM connected to a T-Mobile tower and the Tracker was able to receive SMS messages and after setting the APN it had GPRS service and was able to connect to my Traccar Server and send position report data. You just have to verify that there is a decent signal where you will be flying. Data plan is $5/mo for any combination of 250 talk minutes, texts, or Mb data or $.02 per 'unit'. This will be more than enough to send SMS Text Message commands to the Tracker and for it to send position reports every 20 seconds for 3 minutes in it's sleep/wake cycle per flight (typlcally set to sleep 3 and report for 3 to save battery while it is in motion).

I will be posting technical information as well as sections of the User Manual here to build an online tutorial for reference purposes. Everything is also available to download from my webpage (see first line in OP for link).

I just had a couple questions: 1. Have you had anyone for from Australia enquire from Australia about purchasing one of the these?
2. Would this still work if used a SIM from a network provider In Australia.
2.5 If a the T-Mobile SIM will will is the o my one that would with this tracking configuration.
What is the name of this off this SIM plan? As I would like to check with them to if they have any extra fee for use overseas.

Otherwise I'm very interested in your tracker so over something like the expensive cost of Trackor & it's yearly service cost.

Cell Coverage Notes: I live in a wooded rural area in Central NH with hilly terrain, so Cell coverage is hit-and-miss. I use Tracfone which is an mvno with AT&T and I get decent coverage in the house especially on the north side (tower is north of here). With SpeedTalk which is an mvno with T-Mobile, I get a very weak signal with in and out service (tower is 12 miles NE). I can travel 1/4 mile north and get a decent T-Mobile signal just due to the terrain where my house is located (hill to the NE in direction of tower). So if you are flying in rural areas, your coverage will change based on local terrain. The good news is that coverage improves with altitude, so if you are at 200 ft you may get a much better signal than at ground level. I suggest you experiment with signal strength at ground level and at certain altitudes where you will be flying. Use the ts# SMS command to get a message back showing GPS and GPRS signal status.

Although you may get position reports at altitude, should your Drone end up on the ground with a bad signal you will need to rely on the last position report. I recommend setting your Sleep/Report Cycle (SMS:update,xxx#) to 180 (3 minutes). That way you will receive 3 position reports every minute for 3 minutes (reports are sent out every 20 seconds), then it will sleep for 3 minutes, then report for 3 minutes on that cycle. It is better to sacrifice battery life than to have old inaccurate position data if looking for a lost Drone. Easy enough to recharge Tracker every 6 flights and have it reporting more often for better position accuracy. You should also send out a cr# command to force Tracker to wake up (if stationary) every 3 minutes while looking for it so you have an accurate position of where it ended up. I would also recommend getting a Tile Pro as they work fairly well within 250 ft so as soon as you get to where the GPS location shows your Drone but you don't see it, run the Tile App and if you pick up the signal send the Ring command and it will start making noise so you can pinpoint your Drone by sound. I have mine mounted in the very front on top - doesn't affect GPS signal.

If you follow these procedures, you should be successful in finding your lost Drone as long as you have a decent Cell Signal.

Need to move these so offering a 20% discount to all Forum Members off the regular price on Ebay. Best price anywhere and can use it for tracking pets or kids. Use code MAVIC20.

Last edited:
Anyone with better luck at sales and marketing who wants to try to move these PM me for a quote on the entire lot I imported. Nothing coming in from China for foreseeable future. Supply and demand.

OK guys i have removed all the post other than the one pertaining to the venders tracker. If you got caught up in it i'm sorry but we shall stay true to this thread.
Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys