DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New buyer, should I wait?

SeaOfStatic

Reactions
Hey everybody, I have been eyeballing the Mavic Pro since day one and can finally afford it. My issue is that it seems late in their cycle and the fact that the Platinum was a “bridge”/minor update to appease the masses, would lead me to believe that a Mavic 2 has to be in the works. I don’t know what their cycles are like, haven’t read any solid rumors about the 2 and don’t know if they have a specific event/time of year that they announce new products. Of course I want to just buy one this second and have it in my hands, but given the amount of time the original has been out, instincts are telling me to wait. I could hold off another 3-4 months, maybe 6. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Buy a Mavic Pro Fly more Package. Dont bother with the Platinum version. Not unless your getting a smoking deal. Beware of updates and dont do any unless you read up on the outcome first. Enjoy the MP now while you wait and wait. and even if the New MP2 comes out , wait on that too. Do not jump on the 1st run , they usually have bugs like any 1st run. Just my opinion. 2 cents worth. If you think youll get a lot of fly time in this time a year , buy now. if not wait till better weather , especially if your buying any insurance.

If you figure the Mavic 2 will come out in 6 months then you'll need to add another 3 months to your timeline before you'll be able to get your hands on one. The only reason to wait is if you need a better camera then the one in the current Mavic.

Thanks for the replies. All makes sense. I think I’m going to buy. Looking at the Alpine White version for $1049, it comes with two extra batteries and that seems to be the biggest part of the fly more combo, will also get the new props from DJI, so given that the Alpine White comes with the batteries and I’ll be buying a third party backpack for it to fit other gear, is that my best bet?

There's always something new around the corner. I don't even use most of the "features" the Mavic has now. 99% of my time is purely on the sticks.

II think the Apline White comes with one extra battery for a total of two. Personally, I'd go the official refurb route. I've purchased a number of DJI refurbs, couldn't tell any of them from new - and same warranty.

Mavic 2 will most likely have more aggressive limits (vs. current 500m alt limit, plus no limit on distance) and probably locked/nonrollbackable firmware. Not for everyone this is a problem, but for flying in the mountains 500m is a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if they hardcode 400ft limit in Mavic 2.

And don't forget the quiz... with Mavic 2, you probably will need to provide a proof of aeronautical degree before allowed to fly. :D

Hey everybody, I have been eyeballing the Mavic Pro since day one and can finally afford it. My issue is that it seems late in their cycle and the fact that the Platinum was a “bridge”/minor update to appease the masses, would lead me to believe that a Mavic 2 has to be in the works. I don’t know what their cycles are like, haven’t read any solid rumors about the 2 and don’t know if they have a specific event/time of year that they announce new products. Of course I want to just buy one this second and have it in my hands, but given the amount of time the original has been out, instincts are telling me to wait. I could hold off another 3-4 months, maybe 6. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

For those who travel frequently, one Mavic Pro is insufficient as accidents do happen when least expected. Even for a minor crash, an entire vacation might be ruined :(:(

I would suggest buying two MPs, one in active duty, and another in stand-by mode.

There's always something new around the corner. I don't even use most of the "features" the Mavic has now. 99% of my time is purely on the sticks.

II think the Apline White comes with one extra battery for a total of two. Personally, I'd go the official refurb route. I've purchased a number of DJI refurbs, couldn't tell any of them from new - and same warranty.

Ordered the Alpine, does come with 3 batteries, confirmed. Even looking at refurbs, a new MP with 3 batteries for $1050 seemed like a great price. Excited to get it!

Yes, don't update anything when you crack open the box. Just register it. Hopefully, it will come with an AC firmware of .700 or lower. And fly it out of the box. ALWAYS research the updates, see what other folks are seeing/having. Just because it's the lates/greatest, is not always true.
I am on .400 on my bird and rock solid, no gimbal resets, no NFZ limits, and no hobbling of the flight distance/speed etc., etc., etc.......

Play/fly it for a few weeks/months, and then you can start to think about an update, or a rollback to a previous version. Don't try to do anything at first. Get to know the AC. And watch, watch, watch the youtube vids and read the manual a few times.

Reactions: Clinton1
Ordered the Alpine, does come with 3 batteries, confirmed. Even looking at refurbs, a new MP with 3 batteries for $1050 seemed like a great price. Excited to get it!

Yeah, that's a pretty good deal if comes with 3 batteries. You'll have a blast, these things are fun!

Thanks for the replies. All makes sense. I think I’m going to buy. Looking at the Alpine White version for $1049, it comes with two extra batteries and that seems to be the biggest part of the fly more combo, will also get the new props from DJI, so given that the Alpine White comes with the batteries and I’ll be buying a third party backpack for it to fit other gear, is that my best bet?
Get your accessories separately so you can get exactly what you like. Remember the batteries in all three versions are interchangeable. The color doesn't matter in the air, even looks good.

I love my Mavic Pro and would tell anyone who is interested and can afford it to do it now. Why wait? Especially while it is on sale. Absolutely DO PURCHASE the DJI Care Refresh with your purchase, you will not regret it. I would not have purchased an Alpine if money is an issue, since you can always purchase a skin to cover it. I think an all-white drone will be really difficult to see in the daytime. Either way, you will not believe how cool the Mavic Pro is.

For those who travel frequently, one Mavic Pro is insufficient as accidents do happen when least expected. Even for a minor crash, an entire vacation might be ruined :(:(

I would suggest buying two MPs, one in active duty, and another in stand-by mode.

I hope this is sarcastic... Not everybody has the money to buy two drones so that one can just sit around and collect dust.

Reactions: newguy

you're right I do need a spare MP,send me one,,,pm and ill give my addy

Get your accessories separately so you can get exactly what you like. Remember the batteries in all three versions are interchangeable. The color doesn't matter in the air, even looks good.

Agreed even though I think my Platinum looks better with the Pro batteries. It's a nice contrast. I have three Pro batteries and one Platinum. Amazon gave me two free batteries for screwing up their ad. They had the basic package with the description and photos for the fly more. I was going to buy the Alpine white until I saw the deal on Amazon for 1,099 with the fly more. I was bummed when the basic package arrived.

I haven't seen the white in person but it looks nice in the photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7