DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New cell phone or smart controller?

WildcatDave

Reactions
now that we have support for the air 2 with the smart controller that option is starting to tickle my fancy. however for that kind of money I could get a new cell phone, since I'm on the Galaxy s9+ which is a couple years old. a newer phone would be nice for faster performance and better battery life. as most of you know after a few years the cell phones don't hold quite the charge that they did when new and I'm often having trouble getting to the end of a day without a nearly dead battery. then I would dedicate the Galaxy s9+ phone strictly to flying the drone. this frees up my new phone to do phone duties and I don't have to worry about interruptions or anything like that can occur when using primary phone device as a screen.

it seems like if I kept my s9+ phone, which has a larger screen than the smart controller, I could get myself a new phone and kind of have the best of both worlds. I do realize the smart controller is a great easy turn on and go solution, nothing to plug in, fast connect, etc. it's also brighter than the OLED screen on my Galaxy and I do live in Arizona which has constant bright sunshine, so there are pros and cons either way.

My existing drone setup has its own dedicated controller (st16 - 7 inch screen) and I have gotten used to having the screen built in and just turning it on and waiting for it to sync and ready to go. so going to the smart controller would be quite a step down in size (it would be similar in size to continuing to use my s9 phone - 6.2 inches), but would keep the quick connect and fly that I'm used to.

additionally, I understand phones have the flexibility of loading third-party apps. I'm sure litchi will add air 2 support at some point and you can't use a smart controller (with all the features correctly anyway) if I am understanding correctly. maybe somebody can confirm that. if that is true the smart controller definitely has a big strike against it.

I'm new to the mavic air 2. in fact I still haven't done my inaugural flight as I've been busy and using my older yuneec typhoon drone for business work until I can get some free time to test and play with the new air 2. so I don't have much to go on here and looking forward to your opinions.

I am old school... but I recommend a dedicated device.... I was very pleased years ago when I let my phone go back to it's intended purposes.
Recommend going to the DJI site and reading the full, online only, DJI manual for your drone before that first flight.

Smart controller just seems like a strange way to go, a screen is most likely to break if dropped then what? Does it have unlimited data or do you connect to your phones wifi hotspot? if so what's the point of it if you've got to turn your phones hotspot on?

I've got an old S6 I just plug into mine, works fine.

I am old school... but I recommend a dedicated device.... I was very pleased years ago when I let my phone go back to it's intended purposes.
Recommend going to the DJI site and reading the full, online only, DJI manual for your drone before that first flight.
yep I've already read the manual up and down a few times. considering the drone I'm coming from, which was a lot more manual as far as controls and such, this drone will be a breeze. also I bought the insurance pack so I can fly into a tree if I get bored.

I would suggest the Ipad mini 5. Much cheaper than a SC and a bigger screen.

I would suggest the Ipad mini 5. Much cheaper than a SC and a bigger screen.
yeah that's a pretty considerable option. however I don't want to buy a tablet that has just one job. I'm in the Android ecosystem and so would have no other use for the tablet except to fly. bigger screen is nice but at this point I either want to go consolidated with the smart controller or double dip by getting myself a new phone and shifting my old phone down for screen duties. I appreciate the outside the box idea.

yeah that's a pretty considerable option. however I don't want to buy a tablet that has just one job. I'm in the Android ecosystem and so would have no other use for the tablet except to fly. bigger screen is nice but at this point I either want to go consolidated with the smart controller or double dip by getting myself a new phone and shifting my old phone down for screen duties. I appreciate the outside the box idea.
I too am an android person when it comes to my phone, however there is not a better device to fly with other than possibly the Smart Controller than the Ipad mini 5. Another good feature is that it is smooth as silk when it comes to editing your videos using the included iMovie. Just my opinion.

Litchi can be installed on the Smart Controller: DJI Monitors (Smart Controller, CrystalSky, Phantom 4 Screens) - Litchi

(of course we need to wait for Litchi to add support for the Mavic Air 2, which requires DJI to release the MA2 SDK first)
yeah I understand it can be installed. but it doesn't work correctly. I guess a lot of the buttons don't work and what not. I'm one of those people that doesn't use a system or service if it is not fully functional. I don't like driving cars with three wheels, that kind of thing, lol.

I too am an android person when it comes to my phone, however there is not a better device to fly with other than possibly the Smart Controller than the Ipad mini 5. Another good feature is that it is smooth as silk when it comes to editing your videos using the included iMovie. Just my opinion.
well that's interesting to note. yeah I guess it would be used exclusively for this and the price of the iPad mini 5th generation is 400 bucks if I see that right. That's about half of the smart controller for a distinguishably larger screen and greater flexibility on other uses as well. The brightness listed is 500 nits which is half that of the smart controller. I fly in Arizona so the sun is always your enemy and I would prefer not to have to also put a hood on it. that's just one more thing I have to carry and attach every time. basically the smart controller is just... do I want turnkey and can I put up with a small screen? otherwise I would go with something larger ipad mini. then my third option would be get myself a new phone and relegate my 2-year-old phone to flying duties. I doubt I will do any editing on the tablet (never in that big of a hurry and hate editing a mobile devices) as I have a studio set up with a dedicated monster machine for editing all my photos and video.

well that's interesting to note. yeah I guess it would be used exclusively for this and the price of the iPad mini 5th generation is 400 bucks if I see that right. That's about half of the smart controller for a distinguishably larger screen and greater flexibility on other uses as well. The brightness listed is 500 nits which is half that of the smart controller. I fly in Arizona so the sun is always your enemy and I would prefer not to have to also put a hood on it. that's just one more thing I have to carry and attach every time. basically the smart controller is just... do I want turnkey and can I put up with a small screen? otherwise I would go with something larger ipad mini. then my third option would be get myself a new phone and relegate my 2-year-old phone to flying duties. I doubt I will do any editing on the tablet (never in that big of a hurry and hate editing a mobile devices) as I have a studio set up with a dedicated monster machine for editing all my photos and video.

We are on the same page. Hear me out on this one.......I'll be testing the 2017 Asus Zenpad z8s tomorrow. It works here at the house and is Android. Several folks use it and YES confirmed from my testing you can 100% get the DJI FLY APP from the google play store.

I have run the iPad 5th gen and it works, with some work arounds as my model is only WIFI, but Ill post up stuff tomorrow on the tab I am testing

We are on the same page. Hear me out on this one.......I'll be testing the 2017 Asus Zenpad z8s tomorrow. It works here at the house and is Android. Several folks use it and YES confirmed from my testing you can 100% get the DJI FLY APP from the google play store.

I have run the iPad 5th gen and it works, with some work arounds as my model is only WIFI, but Ill post up stuff tomorrow on the tab I am testing
thanks Mike. I'll be curious to see how it works for you. working on a spare smaller screen phone is functional but not great and I really don't want to go to a tablet any bigger than 7 or 8 as it just becomes unwieldy with the controller. I did buy a nice anodized aluminum adapter but it feels bulky and a little bit too much of a burden on the antennas using my Samsung tab S6 which is a 10-in tablet.

thanks Mike. I'll be curious to see how it works for you. working on a spare smaller screen phone is functional but not great and I really don't want to go to a tablet any bigger than 7 or 8 as it just becomes unwieldy with the controller. I did buy a nice anodized aluminum adapter but it feels bulky and a little bit too much of a burden on the antennas using my Samsung tab S6 which is a 10-in tablet.

Hi Dave....

I have been on the "cheap option" from day one. I simply want a dedicated screen that can work for me.

The iPad 5th gen works great and after this first week of flying I do like it. However, the brightness stinks.

So figured I could buy a tablet that MAY have better brightness.

The Asus tab I picked up totally works and controls the MA2. I haven't flown it at all outside of our home and yard....tomorrow I will be testing it out.

One thing I still hate about the iPad 5th Gen is that is BIG on the MA2 controller. I LOVE the screen real estate but as a screen it kind of stinks due to the brightness. I could always grab/snag a hood but that just adds another level of "pain" to fly and shoot things.

The "old" Zenpad is something that potentially could work for my needs. Hence, my testing tomorrow. We all need "hoods" at some point in time but I like to "try" things out especially if it doesn't break the bank.

I still have to figure out how to post some videos on this very subject but I can already tell that this 8" Tab is WAY brighter than my 5th gen iPad!

I spent a ton of time looking at something that would "work" with the DJI FLY app.......DJI stinks at showing what is supported or not. Heck, the iPad Mini 5 still doesn't show on the "official" site.

Hi Dave....

I have been on the "cheap option" from day one. I simply want a dedicated screen that can work for me.

The iPad 5th gen works great and after this first week of flying I do like it. However, the brightness stinks.

So figured I could buy a tablet that MAY have better brightness.

The Asus tab I picked up totally works and controls the MA2. I haven't flown it at all outside of our home and yard....tomorrow I will be testing it out.

One thing I still hate about the iPad 5th Gen is that is BIG on the MA2 controller. I LOVE the screen real estate but as a screen it kind of stinks due to the brightness. I could always grab/snag a hood but that just adds another level of "pain" to fly and shoot things.

The "old" Zenpad is something that potentially could work for my needs. Hence, my testing tomorrow. We all need "hoods" at some point in time but I like to "try" things out especially if it doesn't break the bank.

I still have to figure out how to post some videos on this very subject but I can already tell that this 8" Tab is WAY brighter than my 5th gen iPad!

I spent a ton of time looking at something that would "work" with the DJI FLY app.......DJI stinks at showing what is supported or not. Heck, the iPad Mini 5 still doesn't show on the "official" site.
That's very interesting about that old tablet. The 5th generation iPad mini is supposed to be significantly bright (500 nits rating) and I can't imagine a 3-year-old tablet competes with that. just looked it up in the Zen Z8S is rated at 440 nits.

yeah an 8-in tablet is about as big as you can get on there with an adapter and even that is a bit large. at this point in my life I'm relegated to reader glasses on my phone anyway so I just kind of prop them down on the tip of my nose when looking down at the controller, and then when I look up to locate the drone in the air I look over the glasses. this has worked for the first few test flights pretty well. but I would like a little bit bigger screen than the 6-inch one on my phone, if it doesn't make the controller two bulky and I don't want to put a burden on that antenna even though the controller only costs $150 to replace.

in fact I would grab the smart controller in a heartbeat even though it's wickedly overpriced. it has a very generously bright screen (1000 nits) however I'm not going to spend $750 to get a screen that's smaller and lower resolution than my existing phone.

I had the pleasure frm a neighbor that had the "smart" controller... I am being sarcastic! But it wasn't the greatest so I went the route for the cheapest **** tablet I could get. I will say this....there is ONE solution that is rugged and supposedly has better brightness......but I wont pay for that!

i picked up a SC last month and am returning it today . I was able to setup my case so i can leave my spare S9+ in the RC clamp and plug in so its almost as easy to get up and fly as the SC. I had the S9+ doing nothing so now it used just flying. on the plus side the phone screen is easier to see for me than SC . The phone gives me larger fonts and icons

Reactions: MA2 317
Smart controller just seems like a strange way to go, a screen is most likely to break if dropped then what? Does it have unlimited data or do you connect to your phones wifi hotspot? if so what's the point of it if you've got to turn your phones hotspot on?

I've got an old S6 I just plug into mine, works fine.
The point is that it is far brighter than any phone, does not need lots of cable to be plugged in and you don't need to worry about the charge of your phone and a controller and it is faster and more secure for getting set up and flying, compared to plugging in a phone and cables and turning on everything etc. get the smart controller, if you can afford it. You don't need a phones Wi-Fi to connect and fly with SC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky