DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New charger

I get this, but judging from the drone output and that the hub has an extra external output, it is possible that a maximum of 18W will be used to charge a battery regardless

Good question, here is myspeculation:

max input 12v 3A = 36W

29W for battery and 7W for external output?

Anyone with 12V 3A charger ready to test?

I thought of this as well, because they mentioned a maximum of 29W for batteries, while the maximum input for the hub is 36W. I know the hub external output is rated at maximum 10W, so that leaves 26W (possibly more if the external output is not being used)

If you look carefully ate the specs you can see that the provided charger is 18W but the battery can handle up to 29W, this means that if you use a more powerful charger the batteries can be loaded even faster.Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 18.57.59.png

Reactions: m3sgal
charging hub max input is 12Vx3A=36W
3 batteries plus controller can be changed at the same time IF you use an aftermarket adapter
Could you please clarify? Do you mean the 3 batteries all charge at the same time in parallel in the Fly More charger if you connect it to a supply with sufficient power?

This is not my experience. The 3 batteries charge serially (one after another) no matter what supply you use. I've tried several different PD 2.0/3.0 QC 2.0/3.0 capable chargers from 45W to 100W and never seen the batteries ever charge in parallel.

I have a several different USB/PD charge/protocol monitors, I'll see if I can get some hard data from observation.

The hub by design will always charge serially, whether it is 18W or more doesn't change this. This is why the others suggested aftermarket chargers that could charge in parallel.

Now whether the DJI hub will actually charge at 29W with the appropriate charger is yet to be confirmed.

If you look carefully ate the specs you can see that the provided charger is 18W but the battery can handle up to 29W, this means that if you use a more powerful charger the batteries can be loaded even faster.View attachment 117392
Specs.

Reality is, no matter what charger I connect to, with or without hub, any of the 3 batteries that came with my FlyMore, it always connects PD @ 12V and draws between 16-17W.

20201118_104035.jpg

Always. YMMV

Last edited:
Just Observed: The speed with which the lights on the hub strobe while the battery's charging will indicate how fast its charging.

@ 12V/18W, they sweep about twice as fast as @5V/8W. This was always PD, not QC.

I have a variety of QC/PD chargers, but this 90W one is my favorite, have 2 (amazon):

51QS91oEZtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

it's been the most versatile, compatible, and "correct" in terms of handling PD 2.0/3.0 and QC 2.0/3.0 devices. Everything fast-charge that I connect to it fast-charges at least as fast as their native chargers.

I've yet to see ANYTHING that specs very high wattage charging (>18W) actually ASK for that kind of power over PD except for phones and laptops.

So, specs are (surprise!!) misleading as hell.

Not complaining, really... 18W charges an MM2 battery pretty quickly. However, since the hub says it can take 36W, it is simply being cheap that it doesn't charge 2 batteries in parallel when presented with a capable power supply.

Last edited:
This means the hub is not the best option in term of speed nor portability

Do you think this YX charger would be compatible with the Mini 2 batteries and be able to fully charge them?
Quick Charging USB Charger for DJI Mavic Mini RC Drone
Its output though is 8.4Vx1.8A (15W), which is a bit weird for QC standard.
It is very portable, and with a couple of those and the right multi-port charger, you could achieve parallel charging easily

Do you think this YX charger would be compatible with the Mini 2 batteries and be able to fully charge them?
It is very portable, and with a couple of those and the right multi-port charger, you could achieve parallel charging easily

8.4V no, it will charge them to 85-87%

It's a bit misleading to call it a charger, since you still need a QC charger with it just as you would if you charged using the AC or hub. This simply replaces the need to use the AC or hub to charge.
Think of it as a voltage converter.

The QC charger is also a voltage converter ?
You also need a QC charger when the AC/Hub acts as "voltage converter". This voltage converter is tiny, affordable, and with the right QC charger can achieve parallel charging. But I'll wait until they release one for the Mini 2

Only if the QC charger has multiple QC compatible USB ports. QC negotiation can only be done with one device at a time.

Parallel chargers have their own power supply. USB isn't even involved.

Mini 1 could handle 24w USB charging with the right USB charger, if you got the smart controller that will do it. I was able to do it with either hub or the drone itself. Batteries got warm though inside the unit which isn't the best for them.
The yx parallel charger is best as batteries don't heat up as much and charges uptown 4 batteries in the same time it takes to charge the standard battery. Keeping an eye out for the mini2 variant of this charger.
Fun fact: the Mini 1 JP variant also used LiPo batteries but only half capacity to get it to sub200g.

Specs.

Reality is, no matter what charger I connect to, with or without hub, any of the 3 batteries that came with my FlyMore, it always connects PD @ 12V and draws between 16-17W.

View attachment 117396

Always. YMMV

What capacity was the battery when you were charging it? IIRC LiPos only charge max speed until 60-80% before tapering off down to 0. If the charging limit is indeed capped at 18W, might need a firmware update to fix. Could also be the heat limiting current as they do get quite warm in the stock charger.

What capacity was the battery when you were charging it? IIRC LiPos only charge max speed until 60-80% before tapering off down to 0. If the charging limit is indeed capped at 18W, might need a firmware update to fix. Could also be the heat limiting current as they do get quite warm in the stock charger.
About 20%.

I'll wait for someone to prove it drawing more than 18W. While it certainly could be something unique to my batch of this equipment (like a defect/bug), I highly doubt it.

I'll wait for someone to prove it drawing more than 18W. While it certainly could be something unique to my batch of this equipment (like a defect/bug), I highly doubt it.

I tested mine again with the QC3 charger included in the Smart Controller which is a 12V/2A and both Mini 1/2 do indeed pull 24W with both old style battery and newer LiHV in the Mini 2. This is both using the Drone and Hub to charge as a test. So no I dont think 18W is the limit and it probably can charge to 29W with the right QC3 charger. AFAIK DJI dont use USB-PD, only QC3 chargers. You also need to pay very close attention to the specs on chargers (particularly the QC3 component) as the majority of QC3 chargers are the standard 18watters.

This is an example of a QC3 charger that can do 24watts

This is an example a "60W charger" that will only do 18w QC3

Devils in the detail as they say. Personally I don't think its worth getting 24/30w QC3 chargers as they not only hard to find but only offer marginal increases in charge speeds. The aftermarket YX parallel chargers offer more meaningful differences (4 batts in 90min) and are reasonably priced.

But if you already have a smart controller and want some small increase in charge speed, use that charger instead for a small uplift in charge speed.

Right. That's 60w total when all 6 ports are used. The 2 QC ports output 18w each, the 4 adaptive ports 12.5w each. If you add the max watts per port, that's 86w so you can't max out all the ports at the same time.

I have a couple dual port chargers that put out 12v@2a on the QC port.

So the bottom line would be, regardless of the watts coming out of the charger, its going to bottleneck to 18 watts going into the three battery charging unit? So picking up an Anker 45watt charger won’t be getting me back into the sky faster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78