DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New charger

m3sgal

Reactions
What is the output V/A of the dji charger that comes with the combo?
Would it be safe to use any QC charger?
Would it be better/faster to use a QC charger with higher output?
Edit: I know the controller input is rated 10W (5V/2A), not sure about the drone

Now that I have the Mini 2, I can confirm that the drone input for charging is 5V=2A/9V=2A/12V=1.5A. So this means it can only charge at a maximum of 18W, and the controller is even 10W.
I still don't understand why DJI suggested it can work with charger that are more than 18W...

Now that I have the Mini 2, I can confirm that the drone input for charging is 5V=2A/9V=2A/12V=1.5A. So this means it can only charge at a maximum of 18W, and the controller is even 10W.
I still don't understand why DJI suggested it can work with charger that are more than 18W...

charging hub max input is 12Vx3A=36W
3 batteries plus controller can be changed at the same time IF you use an aftermarket adapter since DJI goes the cheap route and supplies 18W adapter. Technically you could daisy chain 2 hubs together and still get 18W for each I guess? When combined with an adapter like this and USB-C cable:

Guys, rather than getting a new charge brick for the DJI charger which won't help. Look into this...

It charges your batteries all at the same time rather than one after the other. I've had it a couple weeks and it seems fine. It also has a couple of normal USB out ports.

Worth a look. I can be out and use all my batteries, come home and get something to eat and a drink and in that time ALL my batteries and the remote are ready to "GO" again... ?

PS. mind and get the one for your particular model, they make it for all models!

Guys, rather than getting a new charge brick for the DJI charger which won't help. Look into this...

It charges your batteries all at the same time rather than one after the other. I've had it a couple weeks and it seems fine. It also has a couple of normal USB out ports.

Worth a look. I can be out and use all my batteries, come home and get something to eat and a drink and in that time ALL my batteries and the remote are ready to "GO" again... ?

PS. mind and get the one for your particular model, they make it for all models!

I have this model but for Mavic Mini output 8.4V at 8A works like a charm, I got it from amazon for 50$ takes less than 1h to charge 4 batteries. :) I see the hardcore flier here :)
I was hesitant to use it at first until l read the manual and realized MM2 batteries have overcurrent protection and self-balancing, All we need is ballpark voltage and enough amps to push the juice.

I have this model but for Mavic Mini output 8.4V at 8A works like a charm, I got it from amazon for 50$ takes less than 1h to charge 4 batteries. :) I see the hardcore flier here :)
I was hesitant to use it at first until l read the manual and realized MM2 batteries have overcurrent protection and self-balancing, All we need is ballpark voltage and enough amps to push the juice.
Are we talking about the Mini 2 ? if so that charger doesn't charge the battery to a full charge.

Ha Ha! Well spotted! From one drone junkie to another! LOL

I use mine for the MA2 and it also works like a charm. On a nice day i can get 2 full 4 battery flights, when i first got it i was known to get into my 3rd run! I think halfway through my 11th battery was my record for 1 day but that's in winter time and i'm sure i'll whup that when summertime comes around again! If i was using the DJI charger there wouldn't be enough hours in the day ?

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
Remember everyone, only the Minis use USB charging. All other Mavics use chargers specific to their models.
Linking a third party charger for MA2 to charge multiple MA2 batteries won't help a Mini owner.

In order to charge multiple MM batteries simultaneously, the charger would have to connect directly to the batteries rather than using the stock hub. Also note that the MM1 batteries are a slightly lower maximum charge voltage than the MM2 batteries and shape of the batteries are slightly different.

Remember everyone, only the Minis use USB charging. All other Mavics use chargers specific to their models.
Linking a third party charger for MA2 to charge multiple MA2 batteries won't help a Mini owner.

In order to charge multiple MM batteries simultaneously, the charger would have to connect directly to the batteries rather than using the stock hub. Also note that the MM1 batteries are a slightly lower maximum charge voltage than the MM2 batteries and shape of the batteries are slightly different.
That's why i said "PS. mind and get the one for your particular model, they make it for all models!"

I was actually planning to get it. But do you think this YX multi-charger for the Mini batteries is forward compatible with the Mini 2 batteries? Afterall, the old batteries are compatible with the new drone since both have the same interface.

I was actually planning to get it. But do you think this YX multi-charger for the Mini batteries is forward compatible with the Mini 2 batteries? Afterall, the old batteries are compatible with the new drone since both have the same interface.
Most definitely not, different voltages and battery chemistry. Not sure why "they" say that the charger is available for all models when it isn't. But have no doubt it will be soon enough.

The fact that the MM1/2 batteries are different voltages has me scratching my head why DJI allows the MM1 battery to fit the MM2. For flying, OK, but the AC is also the charger. Perhaps the MM2 AC/hub detects the MM1 battery and changes charging accordingly to a lower voltage.

I'm sure it'll be along real soon. These guys never miss a trick and with the Mini being so popular there's a market for sure! It was available for "all" models when i bought it for the MA2 the end of Sept.
Just to clear that up, now you can be sure why i said "they" make it for all models and you can sleep soundly tonight. LOL ?

How about charging the old Mini batteries using the new Mini 2 drone itself, would that be supported?
I tend to travel light, and only carry the drone, batteries, and controller, leaving the hub behind, and using the drone as a charger

Are we talking about the Mini 2 ? if so that charger doesn't charge the battery to a full charge.

I have following fast charger for Mavic Mini 1

This harger outputs steady DC 8.4V at 2A times 4 for total 8.4V at 8A (you can charge 4 batteries at the same time conencted to sepearate cables)

Since conector is small and not battery shape depended you can conenct Mavic Mini 2 battteries to it and charge but only to 8.44V (4.22v per cell) displays 86% of battery

Mavic Mini 2 battery charged with supplied hub shows 8.73V (4.37V and 4.38V per cell) at 100%

MM1 batteries charged in MM1 charging block and adapter when placed in MM2 drone show: 100% but 8.38V (4.19V per cell) which is almost per spec (old battery)

You will not break anything, just not fully charge MM2 battery with MM1 charger, I can then top it off quickly with supplied charging hub.

You can charge MM1 in MM2 hub and MM2 drone becasue they have over voltage protection built in I belive, they will drop to 8.4V so they are backwards compatible.

for the curious guys 15% of the battery it is about 1500m in normal mode in very low wind conditions, plus 10-12g less weight and we should have ballpark 1600m loger ranage with MM2
napkin math :)

Reactions: Fire260
I have following fast charger for Mavic Mini 1

This harger outputs steady DC 8.4V at 2A times 4 for total 8.4V at 8A (you can charge 4 batteries at the same time conencted to sepearate cables)

Since conector is small and not battery shape depended you can conenct Mavic Mini 2 battteries to it and charge but only to 8.44V (4.22v per cell) displays 86% of battery

Mavic Mini 2 battery charged with supplied hub shows 8.73V (4.37V and 4.38V per cell) at 100%

MM1 batteries charged in MM1 charging block and adapter when placed in MM2 drone show: 100% but 8.38V (4.19V per cell) which is almost per spec (old battery)

You will not break anything, just not fully charge MM2 battery with MM1 charger, I can then top it off quickly with supplied charging hub.

You can charge MM1 in MM2 hub and MM2 drone becasue they have over voltage protection built in I belive, they will drop to 8.4V so they are backwards compatible.

for the curious guys 15% of the battery it is about 1500m in normal mode in very low wind conditions, plus 10-12g less weight and we should have ballpark 1600m loger ranage with MM2
napkin math :)
I have the same charger, and I use it to charge both batteries MM1 and M2, that's why I was saying it won't charge to full battery, I don't have the Fly more so when I charge with that charger I then put the battery in the Mini 2 and charge to full.

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
I want to let you guys notice that the first Mini was only supporting QC at maximum 18W, the Mini 2 supports also PD at 29 W. This means that the chargers for the first will never be able to get all the advantages of the second in terms of fast charging.Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 00.34.46.png
taken from the DJI FAQ

The Mini 2 itself has a maximum 18W charging capability, as written on the battery slot. Not sure why DJI advertise a maximum of 29W.

Now since Mini 2 supports PD, does this mean it is safe to charge it using a MacBook charger?
If so, then this will help while traveling.

I get this, but judging from the drone output and that the hub has an extra external output, it is possible that a maximum of 18W will be used to charge a battery regardless

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78