DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New drone owner! Florida

I flew rc aircraft years ago and decided to fly drones now. I got a Mavic 2 Pro. it is still in the unopened box as I’m trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the kit with the smart controller.
Hello and WELCOME to the forum :)

Night and Day difference from stick-n-rudder R/C to today's Gyro/GPS guided aircraft. It's easier to fly today's MultiRotors than anything you did back in the day.

Welcome from NE Florida.

I had two drones (Mavic air and Mavic Pro Platinum) before I bought my Mavic 2 Zoom with the SC. I've since sold the Mavic Air, but still occasionally fly the Mavic PP. Having the SC is a wonderful addition for me :) That said, it was cheaper for me to by the M2Z with the SC rather than buy it separately. That's what I did it that way.

Of course, as mentioned, having a second controller would not be a bad idea, just not sure if it's worth it as I've never personally needed one.
If I’m going with the smart controller, I will definitely buy it with the kit. I’ve been reading reviews for 2 days. It seems that controller that came with M2 Pro will provide more options. I’m also concerned about iPhones and iPads getting overheated. As you know, it gets darned hot in FL.

You can imagine my distress. I have an unopened M2 Pro looking at me while I decide if I should get the package kit that has the smart controller. I could be flying by now!

Last edited:
Hello and WELCOME to the forum :)

Night and Day difference from stick-n-rudder R/C to today's Gyro/GPS guided aircraft. It's easier to fly today's MultiRotors than anything you did back in the day.
I can imagine. I was heavy into planes. Lots of $$$$ spent. I’ve always been an aviation enthusiast. Now I do my flying on a home simulator. It’s not cheap either with all the peripherals and computer hardware. It is a lot of fun.

Thanks! Do you use the smart controller? Have you had any iPhone heat issues?
I use an Iphone 7 or an Ipad Mini 4. No real heat problems but I do think the phone gets warm from the screen on at full brightness for 20 minutes or more per flight.

If I’m going with the smart controller, I will definitely buy it with the kit. I’ve been reading reviews for 2 days. It seems that controller that came with M2 Pro will provide more options. I’m also concerned about iPhones and iPads getting overheated. As you know, it gets darned hot in FL.

You can imagine my distress. I have an unopened M2 Pro looking at me while I decide if I should get the package kit that has the smart controller. I could be flying by now!

Welcome the forum, from sunny Clearwater. I use an iPad with my M2P, no worries at all, even on the hottest days. Originally, I used an older iPad, and it DID have problems when hot (video stuttered, pretty awful really). Any Apple iPad made in the last 2 years will be fine. I bought mine new just for the drone, but I do use it for other purposes sometimes.

You don't need cellular.

The one problem in FL with the ipads is glare. I've tried glare-reducing membranes over the iPad screen. They were not useful. In this respect, the SC would be awesome. However, the 10" iPad I use is pretty awesome, and I don't think I would like to go smaller now, even for the SC. I use a MavMount for it, and it hangs on a lanyard from around my neck, which is pretty sweet as you can just let it hang if you need to do something with your hands.

Welcome the forum, from sunny Clearwater. I use an iPad with my M2P, no worries at all, even on the hottest days. Originally, I used an older iPad, and it DID have problems when hot (video stuttered, pretty awful really). Any Apple iPad made in the last 2 years will be fine. I bought mine new just for the drone, but I do use it for other purposes sometimes.

You don't need cellular.

The one problem in FL with the ipads is glare. I've tried glare-reducing membranes over the iPad screen. They were not useful. In this respect, the SC would be awesome. However, the 10" iPad I use is pretty awesome, and I don't think I would like to go smaller now, even for the SC. I use a MavMount for it, and it hangs on a lanyard from around my neck, which is pretty sweet as you can just let it hang if you need to do something with your hands.
Thank you for your response. I’m going to use the standard M2P controller and my iPhone or iPad. The smart controller might be something I will look at down the road.

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

A belated Merry Christmas, and welcome! I'm in Tampa. I was forced into buying a SC after breaking my standard controller on a trip to central NY State on my first flight there. Dumb mistake, trying to force an Apple Lightning plug into a Micro USB socket!! It was convenient to use, but I really enjoyed using the 10inch iPad I had been using. I had the standard controller repaired, and sold the SC and went back to my iPad. Just a matter of taste. The weather here is wonderful, but I'm cautious about flying in the bright, hot sunny days of summer. The aircraft and batteries get hot quickly, and I'm sure it's not that good for either. After landing, I tend to move the M2P into the shade and leave it powered for awhile to help cool it off. Get yourself an AirMap account so you can get LAANC authorizations when flying in controlled airspace.

SEL (not current)

I'm still shocked how capable the Spark is. For a pretty small drone with only a 2-axis gimbal, I've gotten some amazing footage out of it.

I'm still learning the MA2, but that flight time is certainly a game-changer for me.

I flew rc aircraft years ago and decided to fly drones now. I got a Mavic 2 Pro. it is still in the unopened box as I’m trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the kit with the smart controller.
I’m checking in again. This same Mavic 2 Pro has just found its way out of the box 3 years later. Life gets in the way and I have found the time to start flying. It is so much fun.

I’m checking in again. This same Mavic 2 Pro has just found its way out of the box 3 years later. Life gets in the way and I have found the time to start flying. It is so much fun.
Welcome back!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR