DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA Rules

Interesting article about new FAA drone regs in today's Tampa Bay Times. Drones restrictions coming at Tampa Bay area airports

No new FAA regs. This is Tampa trying to enforce airspace control around their airports, which is really the domain of the FAA. I'm kind of torn on this one. The map at the Tampa site actually looks pretty common sense, but I hate to allow local communities any opening to control airspace for drones. If Tampa applies this successfully here, other cities may follow suit to enforce more restrictive limits in their airspace. The Tampa site actually has some errors, such as claiming the need for recreational fliers to notify the FAA in advance if they are going to fly within five miles of an airport.

Actually, TIA _is_ attempting to create new regulations for public airspace and for UAV operation... all of which is against US Code and Congress as well as the FAA. They are also incorrect about some of the limitations in place on UAVs. You'd think an International airport would know this. I suspect they do... and they simply don't care if they act illegally.

Where are you Clearwater and Tampabay guys flying your Mavics? I am in Clearwater myself and have meet one other mavic pilot Chisholm on here and we went out flying but it was a hr drive to get there but it was beautiful there.

A city can not do this by themselves:

330.41 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Act.— FLORIDA
(a) The authority to regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems is vested in the state except as provided in federal regulations, authorizations, or exemptions.

(b) Except as otherwise expressly provided, a political subdivision may not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution relating to the design, manufacture, testing, maintenance, licensing, registration, certification, or operation of an unmanned aircraft system, including airspace, altitude, flight paths, equipment or technology requirements; the purpose of operations; and pilot, operator, or observer qualifications, training, and certification.

Reactions: Blades
A city can not do this by themselves:

330.41 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Act.— FLORIDA
(a) The authority to regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems is vested in the state except as provided in federal regulations, authorizations, or exemptions.

(b) Except as otherwise expressly provided, a political subdivision may not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution relating to the design, manufacture, testing, maintenance, licensing, registration, certification, or operation of an unmanned aircraft system, including airspace, altitude, flight paths, equipment or technology requirements; the purpose of operations; and pilot, operator, or observer qualifications, training, and certification.

So if I am fly in the city or county park do they have the right to stop me or take my mavic? Can I show this 330.41 statute with my FAA stration card and be okay to fly? See I live in Pinellas county and they say-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170604-081943.png
    Screenshot_20170604-081943.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
So if I am fly in the city or county park do they have the right to stop me or take my mavic? Can I show this 330.41 statute with my FAA stration card and be okay to fly? See I live in Pinellas county and they say-

It would seem to state that, right? The statute has some exceptions to that paragraph, but they really seem to focus on using a drone in furtherance of illegal acts. The problem is, if stopped/arrested/fined under the local ordinance, you would still have to fight it in legal channels at your expense. Kind of like Congress passing law saying the FAA can't force drone registration, then the FAA establishes a regulation forcing people to register their drones. Someone had to challenge that in court at their own expense, although they did succeed in nullifying the FAA regulation. :)

BTW, I sent a message to the TIA about this. For some odd reason they have not replied. Imagine that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji