DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware - 7x camera now has RAW capability!

ooooh boy!! I got the goosies!!!

Reactions: Bussty
anyone else with the RC Pro with an issue where 'outdoor mode' isn't available ??.. I even refreshed update using then DJI assistant but still nothing.. also the zoom wheel doesn't zoom in photos lol

anyone else with the RC Pro with an issue where 'outdoor mode' isn't available ??.. I even refreshed update using then DJI assistant but still nothing.. also the zoom wheel doesn't zoom in photos lol

Explore Mode is a different setting now. Tap on Photo then Explore to enable it — or assign Explore to a button. When Explore is off, you can only toggle between the two lenses.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Explore Mode is a different setting now. Tap on Photo then Explore to enable it — or assign Explore to a button. When Explore is off, you can only toggle between the two lenses.
But even then only jpeg is available … somethings definitely up with mine lol

Mavic 3 Cine, RC Pro

In explore mode;
Photo and video setting: No Pro mode, Auto only
- Photo: only JPG
- Video: Only 4K 30 and 1080 30

Video;
- 4K, 1080 60FPS: no 200 fps

Can you not zoom anymore in photo mode? I can toggle between 1x/7x but my zoom scroll wheel does nothing now. works fine in vid mode though

Reactions: nzmikey
Can you not zoom anymore in photo mode? I can toggle between 1x/7x but my zoom scroll wheel does nothing now. works fine in vid mode though

But even then only jpeg is available … somethings definitely up with mine lol

To me, that is by design. Explore Mode hasn't changed. It gives jpeg images at 1x-4x and 7x-28x zoom.

RAW is only available for images that haven't been post-processed by the Mavic 3 / controller / DJI Fly app. Anything which has been cropped / digitally zoomed is no longer RAW, leaving 1x and 7x as RAW.

When possible, my workflow is to shoot in RAW and crop/zoom after the flight in Lightroom. Or, if the project doesn't need RAW, shoot in jpeg and zoom on the Mavic 3.

RAW files in principle retain all the data the image sensor records when the image is captured, untouched. For anyone looking to get the most out of the sensor, the only way is to shoot raw and then post process the image. It's obvious that when digital zoom is used, some processing must take place and as a consequence the file is saved as a jpg, which itself requires further processing.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and oztx
RAW files in principle retain all the data the image sensor records when the image is captured, untouched. For anyone looking to get the most out of the sensor, the only way is to shoot raw and then post process the image. It's obvious that when digital zoom is used, some processing must take place and as a consequence the file is saved as a jpg, which itself requires further processing.

The "zooms" are literally just crops of the two different sensors which is why they start to look pretty bad very quickly. Outside of 1X and 7X, it's the same as simply taking a full resolution photo from either camera and cropping in post.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The "zooms" are literally just crops of the two different sensors which is why they start to look pretty bad very quickly. Outside of 1X and 7X, it's the same as simply taking a full resolution photo from either camera and cropping in post.
I do not know how exactly the drone handles the digital zoom feature, but unless the new image dimensions are same as those in the crop (lossless cropping, the pixels themselves were part of the original image), then some interpolation has to take place. Interpolation is usually the only way to digitally zoom in, unless sophisticated methods are implemented, like those in Google Pixel smartphones. Either way some processing has to be done and the image quality deteriorates.

I do not know how exactly the drone handles the digital zoom feature, but unless the new image dimensions are same as those in the crop (lossless cropping, the pixels themselves were part of the original image), then some interpolation has to take place. Interpolation is usually the only way to digitally zoom in, unless sophisticated methods are implemented, like those in Google Pixel smartphones. Either way some processing has to be done and the image quality deteriorates.
that is precisely why those of us that have advanced software tools prefer to never bother digitally zooming in. While DJI does a reasonably decent job, it's more likely than not that cropping and enlarging (if needed) within Photoshop or any other number of programs will do a better job. I have yet to see any comparisons done between a 2x (or whatever) zoom as done from within the drone compared to a simply shot taken from the drone without any zoom that is later cropped and enlarged from within Photoshop or other program. Think I'll ask that question in a new thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_