DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware allows smart capture without controller or app?

Hiflyer808

Reactions
I was watching a video about the latest firmware update. Apparently fixed the shaking issue some people were having, but very intriguing to me is that there is something about adding "support" for using gesture control (smart capture) without the controller or app. Could this mean that they have made smart capture a default mode if you start up the camera on its own? If so that would be huge for me. So convenient for things like selfie videos of hiking in the mountains, or getting some quick selfie photos. To me taking 15 seconds to get airborne vs. 60+ seconds to get controller plus app plus drone going is very significant. Plus you have to hide the controller if you don't want it in the videos and pics. I would use my drone a LOT more if it had this feature.

So, Air owners, what exactly does this new firmware do for smart capture? I'm dying to know!

Okay so the green status light in the back of the Drone actually doubles as a button. so what you are going to do is start the Drone up let it warm up and acquire satellite so give it about a minute or two ( this way it's stable in air ) ... now while it's on the ground press the button twice, that little green status light.... now you will see the camera look up once you are in your place where you would like to stand and there you can use your hand to lift off ;) and yes this is without phone or tablet tried it today Works flawlessly

I'm really glad they put this in! Being able to pull the drone out turn it on and get it to do some basic video capture tracking without having to get a phone/controller is going to be great for me

The new firmware notes say something about a group photo in SmartCapture. Anyone know what that is or how to use it?

Great! Wish you didn't have to let it warm up first, but yeah, not having to fiddle with or hide the controller is really cool. And, what's this group pic thing?

Reactions: robmacom
Has anyone got/found official instructions on how to use this new feature?

Reactions: Talley
DJI needs to do a better job documenting. When they release new firmware with release notes, the release notes should link to documentation with more information and instructions. Another example is releasing new drones without the full manual available (I realize it's available now, but this has happened many times in the past). I'm sure the engineers also get frustrated when they release new features/changes, but none of the actual customers know what they are or how to use them. I know that would frustrate me if I worked hard on making something better, only to find out the company lags behind in documenting it.

The new firmware notes say something about a group photo in SmartCapture. Anyone know what that is or how to use it?

This is mentioned on page 24 of the user manual.

8lV8t0+

Last edited:
Yup it's official. Push the button twice and it makes a weird beep I've never heard and then the camera points up and you're ready to go

It is pretty badas$ ....as far as letting it warm up for a minute then hitting the button twice .... I guess you don't really have to I'm just a little cautious because this thing has an IMU and accelerometers and knowing that it has to warm up for it to fly good and also acquire GPS satellites I don't want to taking off in atti Mode without my remote or phone!:eek: (should use vision? ) so maybe they have optimized it just for this function I will try it when it stops raining at some point I'm just going to place it on the ground as soon as it turns on and double tap the button and go from there:D hopefully everything works flawlessly if not waiting up to a minute is not a bad deal

It is pretty badas$ ....as far as letting it warm up for a minute then hitting the button twice .... I guess you don't really have to I'm just a little cautious because this thing has an IMU and accelerometers and knowing that it has to warm up for it to fly good and also acquire GPS satellites I don't want to taking off in atti Mode without my remote or phone!:eek: (should use vision? ) so maybe they have optimized it just for this function I will try it when it stops raining at some point I'm just going to place it on the ground as soon as it turns on and double tap the button and go from there:D hopefully everything works flawlessly if not waiting up to a minute is not a bad deal
Yeah I'm excited to hear your report on how it behaves if you don't wait. Of course you will do it in an open area and fly low in case you lose control. Maybe check out the group photo function too, if you can get three people rounded up!

Yea ill do a proper video...with someone filming me :) so u guys can see the action...its raining today...so tomorrow. I will test just launching right away too..i will also talk about how to use the gestures correctly so u dont look like an as$ hat trying to use gestures lol

Reactions: Bogey

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661