DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new firmware mavic air

I've taken the drone out for several test flights since the firmware update. Every time I tried to fly it more than about 1,000 feet horizontally (and about 330 feet up), the signal has been lost and the drone has begun an RTH. As the drone began its return, the signal was re-established and the drone returned to normal. This happened twice yesterday, when I made the first test flights after the firmware update. I've flown pretty much this exact same route literally dozens of times, and never experienced a lost signal before the firmware update.

I tried another test flight today. Same location, same conditions as before.

I flew the drone up to about 330 feet, then tested how far horizontally I could fly it. It got to 1,080 feet (not meters) in horizontal distance, then the remote announced "Signal Lost - Returning to Home" or something very similar. After maybe 30 seconds, the drone and remote reconnected, and the drone performed an RTH. Viewing the flight log afterward, I saw that the reconnection occurred at a distance of about 900 feet.

I also received a very brief "Strong Aircraft Interference" warning with the drone about 330 feet up and 500 feet distant, with nothing at all (not even trees) nearby, but that disappeared after a second or so.

Before the firmware update, I was easily able to fly the drone three times farther than that horizontally, from the same location. Now it consistently loses signal at about 1,000 feet.

I can no longer trust the drone to go more than about 1,000 feet away without risking losing the signal. This has happened all three times I've tried flying it that far away.

Larry
I am NOT attempting to denigrate you in any way whatsoever, however, I have experienced some flight problems similar to those which you describe. I checked my settings and discovered (at least for me) I had somehow changed my limits to be other than what I desired. My horizontal and vertical limits were reset to accommodate my desires and I flew absolutely fine.
I would only ask you to double check the settings.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I am NOT attempting to denigrate you in any way whatsoever, however, I have experienced some flight problems similar to those which you describe. I checked my settings and discovered (at least for me) I had somehow changed my limits to be other than what I desired. My horizontal and vertical limits were reset to accommodate my desires and I flew absolutely fine.
I would only ask you to double check the settings.
I double-checked all settings while trying to troubleshoot the issue (before posting about it). My distance and altitude limits were unchanged, they were not the cause of the problem.

Besides, whenever I've taken the drone to either the vertical or distance limit in the past, the drone didn't completely lose the signal, it simply displayed a message telling me it was at the limit and just hovered there awaiting further instructions.

Larry

I double-checked all settings while trying to troubleshoot the issue (before posting about it). My distance and altitude limits were unchanged, they were not the cause of the problem.

Besides, whenever I've taken the drone to either the vertical or distance limit in the past, the drone didn't completely lose the signal, it simply displayed a message telling me it was at the limit and just hovered there awaiting further instructions.

Larry
Thank you Larry. Wish I had a better answer for you, but truthfully, I do not.

Respectfully,
Jeffrey

Hallo, mijn Mavic Air vraagt momenteel geen update naar .500. Hij staat wel in FCC mode. Kan dat daaraan liggen?? Met dank!

He tell that his mavic air not askfor update to .500 he has fcc mode .His question is of that is the problem.

I'm more or less a newbie when it comes to drone flying, so please forgive the dumb questions:

1. How does one determine which mode the system is in? The setting I'm using is (presumably) the same one that the drone came with (I bought from an American firm for use in the United States), and I've never even seen that setting in the options menus.
  2. I'm not at all prone to rolling back the firmware, for a variety of good reasons.This is true for my PCs (Windows Updates) and my drone. The firmware for both the drone and the remote control were updated in one session (in that order). Wouldn't I be nagged about the old firmware every time I fired up the drone and/or the remote?
  3. How would I know which one I would need to roll back, the drone or remote control firmware?
  4. In case I lose my mind and decide I have to roll back the firmware , is there a step-by-step guide to doing it? One that doesn't include the threat of bricking the drone or the hardware? :)
Larry

I have found if you turn off auto updates on your phone/tablet & turn off Wi-Fi you can continue using older versions of the DJI GO4 app & the firmware. Anyone else agree???

I have the FCC ‘hack’ and I upgraded mine using the app on my phone. The new firmware did not revert me back to CE mode either

Video lag was VERY bad after update. Went right back to .400
I don’t think it’s just me on this one. iPad mini 4 if it matters.
it's not the firmware. It's your tablet. I have a mini 4 l ive in florida.I researched this and found Apple products can't deal with heat.. I made me a Styrofoam holder. Michael's craft. Followers holders. It fits my tablet including shade sheld. Dugout the inside of bottom a inserted a ice pack. 5x4x1.2 ". Did my first 2hr video yesterday, not a clicker on my screen. I was about ready to sell my mini. There is one for sale. X-NUAT made with fans plus holder for controller, $219 it's WORKS forgot to mention it is a P4. I am working on one for my mavic

Last edited:
Reactions: photoshop67
After firmware I got a front camera error, said to calibrate with DJI assistant 2. Went all through front, downward and rear camera/sensors but keep getting a calibration fail. Tried 3 times, got a ambient light to high and to low, now just says cannot fly. Any help appreciated

After firmware I got a front camera error, said to calibrate with DJI assistant 2. Went all through front, downward and rear camera/sensors but keep getting a calibration fail. Tried 3 times, got a ambient light to high and to low, now just says cannot fly. Any help appreciated
Error
20181007_160153.jpeg

If you are calibrating vision, there is a minimum size screen size that needs to be used. Is that possibly part of your issue?

it's not the firmware. It's your tablet. I have a mini 4 l ive in florida.I researched this and found Apple products can't deal with heat.. I made me a Styrofoam holder. Michael's craft. Followers holders. It fits my tablet including shade sheld. Dugout the inside of bottom a inserted a ice pack. 5x4x1.2 ". Did my first 2hr video yesterday, not a clicker on my screen. I was about ready to sell my mini. There is one for sale. X-NUAT made with fans plus holder for controller, $219 it's WORKS forgot to mention it is a P4. I am working on one for my mavic
The heat issue with iPad mini has been known for some time and I’ve been aware of it for some time. With what I’ve seen in the hot temperatures that I live in, I have a little bit of time when flying before it overheats depending on the outside temp. That was not the case when I updated as it started the lag issue right away. I’m sticking to the .400 for now.

This is for Starz. Your firmware isn't your problem, it's the mini 4. It can't take the heat. I live in Florida like Arizona. They sell a fan for this, X-NUAT with holder for controller clamp $219. I got some Styrofoam from Micheal craft, the kind they stick flowers in. It is 2.1" thick. I cut out a section for my mini including my Sun shield. Below that I hollowed an area 5 x 4x 1.2" as to insert a ice pack. This is the smallest one i could find. Sat 1 0/16 i filmed for two hours, not a flicker on one line on my Device. I was going crazy with lines, black out screen, losing shots. It really works great. I put it on my P4 but can also is it or my mavic air.

Read you loud and clear. As I said, I’ve dealt with the heat issue for two summers now. I know how long the iPad takes to get too hot. The 500 firmware issue that I experienced was not an iPad issue. There were other issues also that made me decide to revert back to .400. At some point, after more information has been collected, I will re-visit the update. Thanks for your input.

I have found if you turn off auto updates on your phone/tablet & turn off Wi-Fi you can continue using older versions of the DJI GO4 app & the firmware. Anyone else agree???
Any auto update, in my opinion, is asking for a problem. If you are a risk taker, auto update may be your friend.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1