DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new firmware

I compared hover indoors and it is clearly better with 550. Rock solid like it was back in November. Some update over the winter screwed it up and they fixed it now.

Yeah,I tried mine indoors as well before going outside and mine was rock solid too.

I am not saying your wrong, but sometimes human perception is hard to overcome. If they say it's better we tend to think we see the difference. I am not upgrading but it sure would be interesting to see a super long exposure ND filtered DSLR photograph of a hover before and after the upgrade.
The thing hovers so well now that saying it's better is like saying this water is wetter than the old water :D

Rob
I was concerned about this too, so before I updated to 550, I fired my MP up and performed a few different hover tests in my backyard. It was perfect weather with no wind. I then updated and performed the same stability tests (mainly hovering). I have to say that I believe the new firmware seems more stable when hovering. I didn't have time to do any other tests, and this is far from scientific, but I do believe the new firmware made a difference.

Flew 550 fw today with no issues, no wind so can't tell if the hovering is any better.
Getting a lot of imaginary OA stops, might just be the sun as thats been out 2 days on the trot, rare here:p

Might be a coincident, but.... after upgrading to this version I experienced connection problems between the GO 4 app and my Android (Samsung S6) via the supplied short cable on the left hand side. The connection became unstable, suddenly disconnecting and reconnecting. I'm happy it occured already during warmup before takeoff. Troubleshooting concluded the short cable to be at fault, as connection through the center connector on the RC proved to be stable. Later today I found a post on this site explaining that it is a know issue connecting Android phones by the side cable connector. But I have not experienced this error before (although being a newbee with brief experience); for me the problem first surfaced after upgrading from .500 to .550 version. As stated in the beginning, it just might be a coincident, but I thought I should share.

Reactions: schweb and RobP62
i have done 8 flights now averaging 17 mins a flight on 550, POI, Active track , OA off, OA on, Landing check off, Landing check on, VPS same, RTH 6 times from between 400 and 1200 meters.

i could not manage to test aborting autoland in the way msinger did but i believe that problem still exists IE it cant be aborted by stick up, which was what DJI Ken was hoping would be in a new update, we were hoping this one.

on all flights i had zero problems, connection issues in my area and RC loss after 500 meters can be instant.

Today i did find that if i hold the controller in the normal way i lose signal quite fast yet if i turn everything so the phone is not on its back in front of me but on its edge facing towards the floor, i had and kept an extra two bars of RC signal. Makes it hard to see the phone screen though lol. Just shows how much difference a small adjustment can make to the signal and if you get a sudden signal loss worth trying. (I tried it just when i got the flashing RC signal and down to 2 bars, put the controller with phone down and so the rc ariels were pointing at my face it gained two bars instantly.

other than that, i am 33 flights in, with one very stupid minor pilot error, atti mode back in to a bush, 3 props no other damage, No longer calibrate anything unless i am asked now.

maybe i am lucky but everything has always been good for me. i keep landing protection off and VPS off over water and no issues at all. Thankfully, long may that continue i hope.

i have done 8 flights now averaging 17 mins a flight on 550.

-SNIP-

i could not manage to test aborting autoland in the way msinger did but i believe that problem still exists IE it cant be aborted by stick up, which was what DJI Ken was hoping would be in a new update, we were hoping this one.

Yes I think enough people have tested this that we can confirm if you want abort by stick up you need to be running .400
It seems like DJI has not fixed any of the major bugs with .550
Your report of sudden signal loss sounds the same as what I experienced under .500
The Litchi guys are still having the same problems.
The VPS abort issue remains the same.

The good news is that the hovering seems to have improved for some people.

I suspect that more than what we can see was done. I am waiting to see what the matching app will reveal. I hope to God it's not more NFZ restrictions.

Rob

Yes I think enough people have tested this that we can confirm if you want abort by stick up you need to be running .400
It seems like DJI has not fixed any of the major bugs with .550
Your report of sudden signal loss sounds the same as what I experienced under .500
The Litchi guys are still having the same problems.
The VPS abort issue remains the same.

The good news is that the hovering seems to have improved for some people.

I suspect that more than what we can see was done. I am waiting to see what the matching app will reveal. I hope to God it's not more NFZ restrictions.

Rob
I Believe it may be more NFZ related things, Why only because no matter how much i leave GEO off now and how much i press ignore update, I am experiencing cautions that i never had before, even with GEO on. NFZ seems to be their way of trying to appease the lawmakers.

This is big business now for DJI and they can not be seen to to be the rebels of the drone industry, they hold so much market share, They need to protect that buisness, They will use NFZ to satisfy those above.

The Goverment have no need to impose stricter laws as DJI themselves are seeing what some bad press about one of their drones will do to their future business model.

like i say appeasing those above in a shaking hands gesture, as well as protecting themselves from someone really flying one of their drones into a PR nightmare is what NFZ is about.

OK so we know throttle up does not cancel Autoland with firmware .550<snip>...
Can someone else check to see if Pause button Autoland Stop has been re-implemented. This would be a good thing to know, as it is more intuitive than the P/S Mode switch toggle.

Finally got around to testing this. Same Same. Pause button still does not abort Autoland either. May come in the .600 update with any luck. Landing protection to remain off for the foreseeable future for me.

Cannot see the improvement in hover steadiness that others have reported. Am intrigued to know the real reason they issued this tweener firmware update. Stated reasons seem too beign to justify it IMO.

I Believe it may be more NFZ related things, Why only because no matter how much i leave GEO off now and how much i press ignore update, I am experiencing cautions that i never had before, even with GEO on. NFZ seems to be their way of trying to appease the lawmakers.

This is big business now for DJI and they can not be seen to to be the rebels of the drone industry, they hold so much market share, They need to protect that buisness, They will use NFZ to satisfy those above.

The Goverment have no need to impose stricter laws as DJI themselves are seeing what some bad press about one of their drones will do to their future business model.

like i say appeasing those above in a shaking hands gesture, as well as protecting themselves from someone really flying one of their drones into a PR nightmare is what NFZ is about.

I think your right and what DJI is doing makes absolutely no sense in the long term. All they are doing is opening up the door for other companies to make drones that are just as cool and don't have the same limitations. Also they are making hacks for the Mavic more desirable.

Some people will be puzzled by my position on this, but if you think about it most cars and planes etc have GPS systems. Do cars suddenly stop if you get near a restricted zone? Do planes suddenly make a 180?

A company cannot police the users, that is why Gun manufactures, car companies etc do not even attempt to do so. You have to have laws and penalties for those who misuse their property. You cannot punish 700,000 people for the misdeeds of 50 people.

I also have a real dislike for companies that sell you one thing and then disable features you paid for via forced firmware updates. I mean Jeez some people cannot even fly the Mavic 20ft in the air on their own property!!

The way DJI started out at first with just Geo fencing major airports was the proper way to go. For everything else the user was presented with an option to agree and be warned and disabled when in an NFZ or allow them to use their own discretion. Now DJI has changed that and who knows what else the lawyers at DJI will think of next.

Rob

Last edited:
Cannot see the improvement in hover steadiness that others have reported. Am intrigued to know the real reason they issued this tweener firmware update. Stated reasons seem too beign to justify it IMO.

I've yet to test it (traveling at the moment), but is it true that the default setting for OA during RTH has been changed to ON instead of OFF, as it was in .0500? Somebody theorized that this is what they meant when they said "Optimized the RTH function." I would further theorize that with RTH OA disabled by default in 0.0500 (or even .0400?), the number of crashes during RTH went up, and so they may have decided to have it enabled by default.

guys, did anybody noticed any improvements with the video quality (referring to "oil painting" issue)? I suspect, if the had improved they wouldn't want to make big announces. After all, they never acknowledged the issue officially, regardless the numerous posts on their forums and here.

Reactions: MavicMoira
sorry if this has already been answered but i didn't recall seeing a response....can someone confirm if you can cancel the auto landing by hitting either the pause button or switching to or from S-Mode?

Reactions: Fausto
sorry if this has already been answered but i didn't recall seeing a response....can someone confirm if you can cancel the auto landing by hitting either the pause button or switching to or from S-Mode?
It's been confirmed that this hasn't been fixed in .0550 The Sport mode switch is still the only way to cancel a forced auto landing for now.

I think your right and what DJI is doing makes absolutely no sense in the long term. All they are doing is opening up the door for other companies to make drones that are just as cool and don't have the same limitations. Also they are making hacks for the Mavic more desirable.

Some people will be puzzled by my position on this, but if you think about it most cars and planes etc have GPS systems. Do cars suddenly stop if you get near a restricted zone? Do planes suddenly make a 180?

A company cannot police the users, that is why Gun manufactures, car companies etc do not even attempt to do so. You have to have laws and penalties for those who misuse their property. You cannot punish 700,000 people for the misdeeds of 50 people.

I also have a real dislike for companies that sell you one thing and then disable features you paid for via forced firmware updates. I mean Jeez some people cannot even fly the Mavic 20ft in the air on their own property!!

The way DJI started out at first with just Geo fencing major airports was the proper way to go. For everything else the user was presented with an option to agree and be warned and disabled when in an NFZ or allow them to use their own discretion. Now DJI has changed that and who knows what else the lawyers at DJI will think of next.

Rob
i fully agree wholeheartedly and what makes me think is this.

firmware update 550? we had 300 400 500 now we have 550 so is this part of a two stage rollout? I do not understand why anyone would want to firmware just for a bit of stabilisation in hover and not address other more concerning issues that have been mentioned. So what have we downloaded in the background.

What is next on the list in 3 weeks when they do 600?

I also think soon a drone maker will catch up with DJI.
someone out there in R and D land has stripped a few mavics, pulled the data apart and are working on a competitor which at first will carry less restrictions.

A few have tried, it wont be long before someone manages to do it.

Reactions: lekrantz
i been trying to find on DJI.com the link to their Firmware list for download like they use to have back in the P3P/A day but i can't find it. can someone paste the URL here pls?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic