DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new firmware

exactly, first it is stated very clear in the manual and for a resone
the true is in past with phantom ppl dud more harm recalibating.
when i bought my p2 i had to teach my VENDOR that it s not good to placd on hs metal table,
plus he didnt put attantin to how flat and level the sarface he put ig on.
and thats what he teached hs clients!!
if you teach your imu the leveled is level-2 then you wont be level and your quad would allwayse be trykng to correct it self

Reactions: AyeYo
exactly, first it is stated very clear in the manual and for a resone
the true is in past with phantom ppl dud more harm recalibating.
when i bought my p2 i had to teach my VENDOR that it s not good to placd on hs metal table,
plus he didnt put attantin to how flat and level the sarface he put ig on.
and thats what he teached hs clients!!
if you teach your imu the leveled is level-2 then you wont be level and your quad would allwayse be trykng to correct it self

Please can you tell me where did you find anything about when to do the IMU calibration?
The manual mentions the Compass calibration here (Page 52 of the 1.4 Manual):

Calibrating the Compass
Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so. Observe the following rules when calibrating your compass:
DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground.
DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as cellular phones.
The DJI GO 4 app will prompt you to resolve the compass issue if the compass is affected by strong interference after calibration is complete. Follow the prompted instructions to resolve the compass issue.

I cannot find anything regading when or when not do the IMU calibration in the manual.

Yes, I agree, a not well done calibration is harmful.

As I mentioned before after the upgrade I saw that one of the gyro values in the IMU status window was showing a slightly higher than normal bias, that suggested to me that was the case to recalibrate.

Maybe you don't need to recalibrate everytime that you do a firmware upgrade but is advisable to check all the sensors readings and recalibrate if there is anything unusual.

Here a video of this guy explaining IMU issues after a firmware upgrade, after the calibration all went back fine:

Therefore I can state that is not mandatory to calibrate after an upgrade but if you see higher biases in the status window you should consider it before having in-flight issues.

ok you got me :) dont have the manual in front anyway so i can not give a fight :)
any way i dont calibrate and wont unless instrzcted 2....
safe flying ...

Can THE MODS PLEASE Change the Title of this thread and add in the version Number.
This thread will become very confusing for people searching the forum months from now.

Rob

Dji Assistant 2 no longer working I have tried the old version and the new version on windows 10. I guess I'll try and upgrade the firmware via the phone. any one got any
Ideas on how to fix this
Cheers
Mike

I disagree, unless it tells you to calibrate best leave well alone.

i agree with you, the Hubsan 501s of which i owned two and the 502s are so far away from the Mavic they can not hold any comparison when it comes to the calibration and tech inside the Mavic.

The only thing a Husban can do is atti mode which is fantastic to learn to fly. apart from that it is like comparing Rolex to Timex both do a job but in very different ways.

Also there are many circumstances where you do not want to be calibrating things even after a FW upgrade.

Just my opinion of course and sometimes i am wrong, where the Mavic is concerned i have found that if its working fine and all looks good and she is flying normally then leave her alone.

which is why so many people don't even do the upgrades let alone the calibrations.

Dji Assistant 2 no longer working I have tried the old version and the new version on windows 10. I guess I'll try and upgrade the firmware via the phone. any one got any
Ideas on how to fix this
Cheers
Mike
sorry i am on windows 10 with no problems, i have not seen much about DJI 2 not working on ten.

Reactions: Bintryin
I always re-calibrate, never had a problem.
I always do imu on kitchen work top that i know is level.

I always say do as you please, i would always recommend imu and compass calibration after a FW but would never TELL you to DO it ;)

If you have fluctuating figures on the RC then do that for sure.

I got my Mavic the first of January and using my Droid Turbo I have never had even one issue . I've flown the latest FW since the day they got released . I upgraded to .550 yesterday and flew two batteries in the same location as 90% of my flights and had severe video freezes and the app disconnected twice during flight . I never got over 700 feet away each time . It's very windy today so looks like Monday before I can do another flight but this has me concerned :(

This is exactly why it's best to take the "wait & see" approach before doing ANY upgrading with your aircraft. At this point you would be better off rolling back to the prior setup. Let others be the pied pipers and find out if all is well or not. You would at least have a piece of mind knowing your aircraft functioned properly, thus allowing you to enjoy each flight.

Reactions: AyeYo and sirrraj
I always re-calibrate, never had a problem.
I always do imu on kitchen work top that i know is level.

I always say do as you please, i would always recommend imu and compass calibration after a FW but would never TELL you to DO it ;)

If you have fluctuating figures on the RC then do that for sure.

I support your posting. The overall main reason instructions were given to only calibrate when the app instructs you to, is due to so many new owners not knowing what they are doing. Plus, several are not passionate enough to want to do things the right way. Example; Say there is 3 methods to calibrating the compass. More will want to know which method is the easiest or quickest rather then which method is known to produce the best result.

With the Mavic Pro I now base the need to calibrate on what the sensor's are displaying.

Last edited:
I upgraded today from .0500 to .0550 and it wasn't as smooth as I would like. Tried the assistant first and it took 2 tries to download. Then the upgrade went ok in under 10 minutes and the app announced the version as .0550 and .0500 for the RC. That seemed ok.

Then I tried a flight and Go 4 said firmware upgrade needed. After a few restarts I grumbled and let it upgrade again since I hate that message - distracting while flying. The upgrade in the app proceeded (under 10 minutes) and once it was done, there were no more messages about needing an upgrade. Nice but About in the app has the version as blank (aircraft and RC). So lame but I can live with it easily.

Anyway, it flies fine and I tried indoors where I had had trouble previously and even though it was darker, it worked great without any glitches. So maybe they really have improved "hovering".

So I'm currently on .400, do I need to upgrade to .500 before .550 or can I go straight to .550?

I upgraded today from .0500 to .0550 and it wasn't as smooth as I would like. Tried the assistant first and it took 2 tries to download. Then the upgrade went ok in under 10 minutes and the app announced the version as .0550 and .0500 for the RC. That seemed ok.
No - this does not seem ok. You should have updated your RC to .550 (using the assistant) as well before trying to fly..

Ok just up graded 550 and all went well took it out for a fly and didn't see to much change with hovering as it was good with the old firmware RTH tho is way more accurate but what I did find when I use auto take off it goes to 5.4m instead of 1.2m tried it several times and each time was the same no big issues as I normally take off manually but what do youse think could be causing this and do others have the same issue since updating firmware

but what I did find when I use auto take off it goes to 5.4m instead of 1.2m tried it several times and each time was the same no big issues as I normally take off manually but what do youse think could be causing this and do others have the same issue since updating firmware
Did you select the "record precise position (or similar)" (little checkbox below the auto take-off slider?
This is supposed to ascend higher and gain better precision landing data...
Actually a feature already introduced with an earlier version of the DJI Go 4 app.

Last edited:
Reactions: True fly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki