DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New flyer question

Kieren_87

Reactions
Hi, Im looking at purchasing the Mavic Air which will be my first drone. My question is, do I need a laptop/desktop computer in order to get one, set up and update?
I will only be a casual flier, maybe when on holidays or at my local beach and uploading to social media and currently only have a samsung galaxy S9 and an Ipad mini.
Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

It helps to have a desktop or laptop so you can use DJI Assistant. It's not mandatory, but maybe you can find someone who has a desktop or laptop that will let you use it if you need to.

It helps to have a desktop or laptop so you can use DJI Assistant. It's not mandatory, but maybe you can find someone who has a desktop or laptop that will let you use it if you need to.
Hi Thunderdrones, thanks for the response. I can get my hands on a laptop to borrow, that isnt a problem but from what i have read or been told is that I would need quite a hi spec one which will end up costing £800+ which will be ontop of the £950 I will be paying for mavic air, fly more combo.

Hi Thunderdrones, thanks for the response. I can get my hands on a laptop to borrow, that isnt a problem but from what i have read or been told is that I would need quite a hi spec one which will end up costing £800+ which will be ontop of the £950 I will be paying for mavic air, fly more combo.

No, you dont need all that! Sometimes I use my 10 year old Dell Optiplex 980 desktop, worth around $100, to use DJI Assistant. You only need a higher end computer if you will be doing editing, but still dont need all that. Many people use their phone to edit videos!

I recommend a desktop for DJI Assistant especially if you will be calibrating the sensors. My laptops dont like to do it, something about the screen size.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
The only reason you might need the high-spec' laptop, is for editing the video clips that you take while flying.

Reactions: Former Member
The only reason you might need the high-spec' laptop, is for editing the video clips that you take while flying.

Do you know of any apps that will allow you to edit on the phone?

On my other thread, some people edit on their phone and make great videos using a standalone app. @rlphoto69 uses Lumafusion on the iPad/iPhone and his videos look great.

do I need a laptop/desktop computer in order to get one, set up and update?
Firmware updates can be installed from DJI GO (running on a mobile device) or the DJI Assistant 2 application. Outside of firmware updates, the DJI Assistant 2 will be needed if you ever want/need to do the following:
  • Install a firmware update that won't install from DJI GO (not common, but happens sometimes)
  • Calibrate the drone's sensors
  • Download DAT flight logs stored on the drone (useful when troubleshooting issues)

On my other thread, some people edit on their phone and make great videos using a standalone app. @rlphoto69 uses Lumafusion on the iPad/iPhone and his videos look great.
Have never even thought about trying actually ... I'm so used to having the screen real-estate to move things around on, that doing it on a tablet or phone would be like it being on a postage stamp to me ...

Last edited:
Here's a video of what a person can do with Lumafusion @rlphoto69 . I would much prefer to edit after a flight on my phone than to have to drag it all the way back do it ont eh desktop.

Last edited:

Again i looked into a few ups on youtube as i dont want to go and spend loads on a laptop at this moment. And the reviews on some of them qere saying that even apps were in excess of £300. Just seems like every corner i turn im emptying my wallet lol. I guess i wont mind spending the money in the future once i know this is something i really like.

Eventually, you will need storage space for all the pictures and video you will be recording. Your use will determine if on-line or local works best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711