DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Flyer...Rethinking my Purchase.

Yep, this vid is up next. !!!

Thumbswayup

and don't forget: first you have to upgrade your bird to the latest firmware (first the mavic, and then the RC), setting it up (you found good settings on the youtube video, or on the forum), and after go to the open field area to test it. before you take off, you have to do the pre-flight checking. you found on this forum a lot checking list. you can choose the best checking list for you.

happy flight time!

Last edited:
Rocky flew off my wives fingers as she was bringing him in from his outside cage. He was hand fed as a baby Grey. We seen him in a tree at the top of our hill. He went up and tried to coax him down with toys and mirrors but he just looked at us. As darkness set in I shook the tree and off he went. Hopefully somebody found hin and he is alive and well!!!!
Really hard to lose a part of the family like that. I lost a Red-crowned parrot a few years ago. sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Hivoltage
The more you read the more you learn. The more you fly the better you get! I admit that I would hate living inside a no-fly zone. Where I live, I can fly just about anywhere. I always ask permission and often share a DVD of the video I shoot. I respect others and their privacy. I don't fly in or near restricted areas. You can shoot all sorts of great video without buzzing over the heads of people enjoying the view.

Hi, I just got my Mavic, it is still in the unopened box. I have been playing with smaller quad copters and having a blast. I was expecting a "sticky" on this forum for newbies with things to get prepared for the first flight, but see none. ( Anybody know of one) ?.

That being said.....after reading about all the FAA hassle, no fly zones, problems, issues, flyaways , crashes for no apparent reason,etc., I might send this thing back. Just seems like from the research I have done on here, this thing is more trouble than fun. Dont want any fines, people complaining, shot out of the sky, things like that. Just looking for some positive advise. I used to fly RC helicopters so flying the thing is the least of my worries. Thanks!

I remember buying all the "disposable" drones that I had a blast learning to fly as I waited for my Phantom 3. My logic was to learn on something I didn't mind beating up as I crashed it and literally went fishing for it as I pulled it out of trees with my rod and reel. Then when my Phantom 3 (and now Mavic Pro) arrived I was amazed at how incredibly easy they are to fly in comparison to the $100 and cheaper drones that I had flown. And, though everyone WILL crash, they do provide hours and hours of fun with the vast majority of folks never having fly-aways or run ins with the FFA. I'm glad to read that you have decided to keep it and dive in!

Thanks y'all......got it out of the box, charged batts, going through all manuals and vid, flying my "toy" quad. Luckily weather is crap so not in a big hurry to get outside with it yet! One thing I have never been accused of is not reading a manual.

Hi, I just got my Mavic, it is still in the unopened box. I have been playing with smaller quad copters and having a blast. I was expecting a "sticky" on this forum for newbies with things to get prepared for the first flight, but see none. ( Anybody know of one) ?.

That being said.....after reading about all the FAA hassle, no fly zones, problems, issues, flyaways , crashes for no apparent reason,etc., I might send this thing back. Just seems like from the research I have done on here, this thing is more trouble than fun. Dont want any fines, people complaining, shot out of the sky, things like that. Just looking for some positive advise. I used to fly RC helicopters so flying the thing is the least of my worries. Thanks!

If you flew RC helos, this will be blindfold easy for you.

First flight, set it up in beginner mode with a small radius and height restriction. Open area. Sole absolutes:
  • Wait until the GPS has acquired before starting the motors
  • Raise it straight up - 10 metres. Hold for 5 seconds. Adjust exposure and focus during this time
  • Start video recording (can be done before takeoff, of course).
If you want my checklist (which is a mix of a checklist I found here with my own changes, just say so).

Don't take counsel of your fears** nor of the experience of those who don't seem to get that these are _real_ flying machines with a degree of complexity that _requires_ planning, thinking and execution in a responsible, sober manner.

Nike up and have fun like the rest of us*.

*who don't have a Mavic on route to DJI because the camera is slightly out of focus on one side...

**George Patton

If you flew RC helos, this will be blindfold easy for you.

First flight, set it up in beginner mode with a small radius and height restriction. Open area. Sole absolutes:
  • Wait until the GPS has acquired before starting the motors
  • Raise it straight up - 10 metres. Hold for 5 seconds. Adjust exposure and focus during this time
  • Start video recording (can be done before takeoff, of course).
If you want my checklist (which is a mix of a checklist I found here with my own changes, just say so).

Don't take counsel of your fears** nor of the experience of those who don't seem to get that these are _real_ flying machines with a degree of complexity that _requires_ planning, thinking and execution in a responsible, sober manner.

Nike up and have fun like the rest of us*.

*who don't have a Mavic on route to DJI because the camera is slightly out of focus on one side...

**George Patton
Sure your checklist would be awesome !!! Also if there is a great Youtube video that covers all the important stuff for setup a suggestion on that would be great too.

I guess if it's buyers remorse because of the cost I get it thats were you have to be honest with yourself.
As far as the rules I agree with the others read, understand, follow, also keep in mind they are rules the biggest ones don't fly within a mile of an airfield keep your altitude at 400' pay attention to your surroundings and whats going on..
The first time you put it in the air you will be hooked with no regrets..
Happy flying!!!

Here it is in PDF. Forum here won't allow the .doc file. If you want the .doc (easier to edit) then PM me.

Note that I set the max altitude per Canadian law. Adjust to your dictatorship as required.

Also just added night before: verify air intake clear; exhausts clear (rear and belly)

I just revised the upload so make sure you get the one with today's revision date.

Attachments

• Alans-checklist.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: Capra Vecinului
There are bunches of YouTubes on setup and such. I haven't a single one I would recommend. They are either poorly done (in a number of ways) or skip out on important things.

OTOH there are a lot of good videos on the video settings to get the best possible recordings - esp. those that look to post process intentions (eg: dialed down saturation and sharpness in order to better post process).

for video settings is quite good

for rate settings to get smooth video - a bit long - but he at least puts conclusions at the start(ish) and then goes to method.

I have now flown my Mavic hundreds of times by now, with no issues. It is a solid, well engineered machine. It is a small aircraft, and a fairly complicated computer/robot... with an extremely long range, so learn all the return to home behaviors while the drone is in a safe space and close to you. Most all of the complaints/flyaways/crashes stem from misunderstandings about the automated systems. Calibrate the compass(es) and vision sensors when prompted.

I bought it to take photos/video for a project... but since then fly nearly daily, just because it is so magical and fun.

If you don't mind spending some time studying the manual, checking, and rechecking menus (upon menus) of settings... you should have a fab time. Think of the Mavic as a highly-automated, long range small aircraft, with a nice video camera. It has, i believe, 24 processors for dealing with all the information it collects. That kind of system is complicated by nature.

Reactions: CC Rider and M4RK
The drone is fantastic in performance, ease of use, camera and size most of all. HOWEVER none of that matters when something goes wrong. I ordered mine with a month to spare before my vacation but with missed promises of shipping it arrived just a few days before I was leaving. OK great I have my Mavic. 3 days into my 10 day tropical vacation the Mavic flips out and then disconnects from the RC. Did everything possible to fix with no avail. I had purchased the DJI Care. I set up a repair and then thats where the missed promises problem at DJI came clear. 1st it took them 3 days to email me the shipping label. I shipped it back to them and saw that it arrived at their facility however after no less than 3 times contacting them it took 8 days for them to confirm they had it. Then it sat in a black hole for days. Then I get a notification that it qualifies for repair and I get priority service because I got DJI Care. It then sits in a black hole for a few more days. The next notification is that it is in for analysis and repair with a note that says, "THIS MAY TAKE 3-4 DAYS PLEASE BE PATIENT", 2 weeks later after several online communications they tell me that I need to be patient and it may take 2-3 weeks before I hear. I ask if they have diagnosed the problem and they can not tell me. When you are online chatting with them, the rep must be running a dozen chats simultaneously as their reply are delayed for ridiculous periods of time. In conclusion DJI customer service is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any company ever! I guess you can be a piece of **** when you are the hottest girl in the room.

Reactions: Hivoltage
Here it is in PDF. Forum here won't allow the .doc file. If you want the .doc (easier to edit) then PM me.

Note that I set the max altitude per Canadian law. Adjust to your dictatorship as required.

Also just added night before: verify air intake clear; exhausts clear (rear and belly)

I just revised the upload so make sure you get the one with today's revision date.
Nice!! Thanks for sharing.

The drone is fantastic in performance, ease of use, camera and size most of all. HOWEVER none of that matters when something goes wrong. I ordered mine with a month to spare before my vacation but with missed promises of shipping it arrived just a few days before I was leaving. OK great I have my Mavic. 3 days into my 10 day tropical vacation the Mavic flips out and then disconnects from the RC. Did everything possible to fix with no avail. I had purchased the DJI Care. I set up a repair and then thats where the missed promises problem at DJI came clear. 1st it took them 3 days to email me the shipping label. I shipped it back to them and saw that it arrived at their facility however after no less than 3 times contacting them it took 8 days for them to confirm they had it. Then it sat in a black hole for days. Then I get a notification that it qualifies for repair and I get priority service because I got DJI Care. It then sits in a black hole for a few more days. The next notification is that it is in for analysis and repair with a note that says, "THIS MAY TAKE 3-4 DAYS PLEASE BE PATIENT", 2 weeks later after several online communications they tell me that I need to be patient and it may take 2-3 weeks before I hear. I ask if they have diagnosed the problem and they can not tell me. When you are online chatting with them, the rep must be running a dozen chats simultaneously as their reply are delayed for ridiculous periods of time. In conclusion DJI customer service is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any company ever! I guess you can be a piece of **** when you are the hottest girl in the room.
Hopefully I wont need DJI for anything.

Reactions: Soundtekk
That was my hope. I flew it 20 times with no issues, amazing video and perfect landings. Now its lost in DJI ****.

Mine too. ~120 flights. Actually hasn't made it from UPS to DJI hell yet - but the road remains wide and smooth. Just slow.

In response to Dtweiss's post:

Well, that's kinda true, isn't it, and understandable, too?

In all seriousness though, I've seen statements about DJI's customer service care range from people wanting to practically marry the customer service rep they dealt with about their problem to others who have already hired a hitman and have their CS reps name and address on a slip of paper wrapped up in $100s. I have had no firsthand experience with DJI's customer service department because I have had zero problems with my Mavic in any way since I purchased it months ago. I have logged many, many flights on my Mavic, too, all of them in the 20-22 minute flight time range and one flight at a range of over 6 miles total - on one battery - all of it facing high ocean winds, maneuvering wildly to get the shots I had planned while maintaining my usual do not fly over people policy that I always adhere to, and landed the bird just as my first battery warning flashed on

I love my Mavic. Never knowing WHAT I may happen upon, I always keep my 5 batteries charged (one on the bird, 1 stored in the inside of the bag beneath where the controller is stored, and 3 in the bags external pockets) and I take my Mavic bag with me wherever I go, just in case something outstanding happens in front of me during my travels. I can be up in the air capturing whatever I see in well under 2 minutes, from tossing down the takeoff/landing pad I also keep in the trunk, unfolding the Mavics arms and powering on the necessary equipment in proper order, to establishing my return to home point and taking off to the subject at hand. I am smitten by my Mavic, and I have already included it in my will. My children will just have to fight with it!

My personal vibes and feelings about DJI - influenced by the countless experiences I have poured over as I have received notice of them - is that, while their customer care is not 100% perfect and could always be better - same as the world we live in could be, which was made either by a spontaneous Big Bang or else by a fellow who made a Big Bang happen - is that that they strive to satisfy their customer base and stand behind their excellent lines of projects.

I cut DJI lots of slack in every department right now - including customer service - because it was very obvious they were swamped since before the December 2016 holiday season just trying to keep up with the demand for their newest products. On top of that, DJI was definitely completely overwhelmed with the large number of complaints that soon followed the high volume of Mavic sales they were keeping up with; attempts to return Mavics for alleged aircraft and system failures; and untold numbers of repair request, too.

Generally speaking, the vast majority of these complaints and allegations about DJI - easily in the 90-95% range - were made by people who really had no reason to be flying the Mavic in the first place, had not bothered to read all of the information they must go over (let alone the countless Mavic videos out there that, to me, are a requirement before flying, too) to have even a rudimentary understanding about this deceivingly simple-looking aircraft that is highly capable in a number of ways but MUST be fully understood and its numerous systems well digested, too.

I recently read in an official transcript of DJI spokesmen speaking before the U.S. Senate about drone issues and the future of drones in the U.S., that DJI employs 150 workers in the States. That blew me away. Considering ALL that they do, I personally think DJI is doing a fine job keeping up with what turned out to be for them an incredibly hot-selling drone purchased by a LOT of first-time pilots, an exceptionally high number of senseless crashes, pilot-caused "flyaways," (I detest that word), avoidable accidents and so on due to pilot unfamiliarity with the aircraft, in addition to properly handling those few and rare VALID cases of actual mechanical or circuit-related crashes and incidents.

I'm certain if I were in the shoes that some Mavic pilots are finding themselves in that perspective would surely color my opinion about things; human nature. But coming from a completely objective, unbiased point of view, I have to say that I think DJI is doing its absolute best to resolve every case coming across their desks daily. Patience, understanding, maintaining perspective, and being realistic are often hard to maintain when you have a problem and want it resolved yesterday. But things are what they are. Good things DO come to those who wait. Realizing that you've bought into one of the hottest products on the drone market and therefore have to wait your turn in line is simply a necessity and a reality that must be accepted.

Last edited:
Regrettably those on the right tail of the spread seem to be very few in number. Or perhaps you're not as critical of soft focus in parts of the image. Or perhaps you work for DJI? (jesting of course)

Reactions: CC Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB