DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Government rules ????

Warost

Reactions
Just far enough south of London to keep sane.
Well as we are all aware by now the government have been working on introducing new rules and an online test of competency and an online register, I though I would try to get a jump on the crowd and register in time for the new laws to become effective and take the test, the problem is I can't seem to find where to register or take the test, are we expected to wait for the law to come to pass and do everything last minute or as I suspect am I a total moron and have not looked in the right places.
Any hints?
Stu

Reactions: maxv77
Number plates for drones seems a little mad as they would need to be bigger than the drone to be seen, it is refreshing to see that the USA have as many mad suits designing pretty ineffective laws as we have here in the UK, they seem to penalise the sensible people and ignore the ********* who have no care for new laws or any kind of safety.
I think I must be getting cynical in my old age..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to the _only_ article I could find that mentions this with a Google search:

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/21041/...es-uav-owners-to-display-drone-id-on-exterior

It provides a link to a Bloomberg article that it states its getting it's information from. A search of that entire page.... shows no mention of what they claim.

My advise... waitt for a credible source to mention even the thought of this. Then consider that it is extremely unlikely to happen. The FAA has already created the registration that they wanted. They claimed this was enough to link the drone to the person. I see no indication that they want anything more.

The rule just states that the FAA number needs to be displayed on an external surface instead of inside a compartment.

EDIT: For USA.
View Rule

Last edited:
Well as we are all aware by now the government have been working on introducing new rules and an online test of competency and an online register, I though I would try to get a jump on the crowd and register in time for the new laws to become effective and take the test, the problem is I can't seem to find where to register or take the test, are we expected to wait for the law to come to pass and do everything last minute or as I suspect am I a total moron and have not looked in the right places.
Any hints?
Stu

This gentleman seems to have a pretty good grasp on the UK situation.

Last edited:
Sorry, realized with that last post that this appears to be a UK thing (based on the OP's location).

They can and will bring on all this new stuff but unless you have to prove you have it when you buy one how many
or what % will even look at it .

Reactions: ksmusa
Apparently you cant fly from 1 kilometre of airport boundaries.

I'm not sure if that means from the fence around an airport. In which case that just mad and asking for some idiot to try and film a plane taking off or landing. Or it means 1 km from its airspace as it stands, But that dose not really make any sense when that's miles from the runway anyway.

One more Km wont make any difference.

I'm more than happy to do a online test. But I wonder how much they will charge for that ?

And how much they will then charge you to register with the Civil Aviation Authority ?

Always someone out to cash in on your hard earned cash :(

They also want you to get public liability insurance. Good. Now tell us where to get it because I cant find anyone who will unless your want to do commercial work with your drone.

I just want to fly mine for fun cover that with some insurance for my peace of mind and make some home made videos.

Can i just ask that when comments are posted refering to rules etc that you make it clear what nation you are talking about. We are not all residents of the USA and many here do not have their home state in their profiles

Can i just ask that when comments are posted refering to rules etc that you make it clear what nation you are talking about. We are not all residents of the USA and many here do not have their home state in their profiles
Everyone in this thread has their location showing what are
you talking about.

I think the comment was aimed at the original poster, it would be handy to know in the thread title which government he was referring to.
There is another thread about this going on here:
Drone registration uk
True but the 3rd post states where he is talking about and thanks for that link as it is in the wrong section which I shall fix now .0ROJYyg.png

They also want you to get public liability insurance. Good. Now tell us where to get it because I cant find anyone

Flock - (from) £3 per flight - £250,000 public liability insurance

FPVUK - £20 quid a year - £5,000,000 public liability insurance

BMFA - £34 quid a year - £25,000,000 public liability insurance

All figures quoted here are for recreational flights only.

Reactions: maxv77
Flock - (from) £3 per flight - £250,000 public liability insurance

FPVUK - £20 quid a year - £5,000,000 public liability insurance

BMFA - £34 quid a year - £25,000,000 public liability insurance

All figures quoted here are for recreational flights only.

Thanks for this. I have now got cover with FPVUK. just what I was looking for. :)
Now I need some cover for loss and damage to back up my DJI after care. If it ends up in a lake and I cant get it back I will have nothing to send back to DJI lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato